Default Is the word PORT side used because of ancient reasons ?

We use the name PORT side to define the left side but is this a Naval
tradition because boats would dock on it's port side or is it
irrelevant ?
Thanks

On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 18:18:45 -0700, quizno mouse
wrote:

We use the name PORT side to define the left side but is this a Naval
tradition because boats would dock on it's port side or is it
irrelevant ?

Tradition holds that answer to be the correct one. The reason is
because the steering-board or oar was usually located on the starboard
side which prevented the ship from docking on to starboard.

Selected sentences from my handy dandy book of nautical terms:

"Starboard is a corruption of the Alglo-Saxon steorbord (steer board)
which hung over the right-hand side of the vessel.

The left hand side was known as larboard (loading side).

In 1844, the British Admirality officially changed the term larboard
to port which was quickly adopted by the US, French, Spanish and
German Navy."

Interesting little tidbit - remember what I said about the stickers?
That idea came from the British who used to put red and green ribbons
on their recruits hats so they could tell port from starboard when
facing forward.

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the interesting historical data on the subject. Now I know
more than I did this morning.
Sincere regards

On Aug 11, 9:36 pm, Short Wave Sportfishing wrote

"Starboard is a corruption of the Alglo-Saxon steorbord (steer board)
which hung over the right-hand side of the vessel.

The left hand side was known as larboard (loading side).

In 1844, the British Admirality officially changed the term larboard
to port which was quickly adopted by the US, French, Spanish and
German Navy."

Oh these Anglo Saxons claim too much! Scandanavians were trotting
around the globe in long ships in 800 A.D. when the anglo saxons were
floating around on logs in the Thames river wondering what was on the
other side.

The word starboard for a ship's right side comes from the an old
Norse word for steeringboard which was always on the right side of the
ship. The left side was called the larboard which comes again from
old Norse meaning the loading side. Those confounded English changed
it to the "Port side."

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 14:55:20 -0700, roger
wrote:

On Aug 11, 9:36 pm, Short Wave Sportfishing wrote

"Starboard is a corruption of the Alglo-Saxon steorbord (steer board)
which hung over the right-hand side of the vessel.

The left hand side was known as larboard (loading side).

In 1844, the British Admirality officially changed the term larboard
to port which was quickly adopted by the US, French, Spanish and
German Navy."

Oh these Anglo Saxons claim too much! Scandanavians were trotting
around the globe in long ships in 800 A.D. when the anglo saxons were
floating around on logs in the Thames river wondering what was on the
other side.

Why yes - I think they discovered Idaho somewhere around that time I
believe. Also Japan and Peru.

The word starboard for a ship's right side comes from the an old
Norse word for steeringboard which was always on the right side of the
ship. The left side was called the larboard which comes again from
old Norse meaning the loading side. Those confounded English changed
it to the "Port side."

The word starboard comes from Old English steorbord, literally meaning
the side on which the ship is steered. The old English term steorbord
descends from the Old Norse words stýri meaning “rudder” and borđ
meaning “side of a ship”.

Notice the subtle difference? One word, two words?

Scandi scum want to claim credit for everything. :)

Why yes - I think they discovered Idaho somewhere around that time I
believe. Also Japan and Peru.

Well I am glad we know who really discovered America. The vikings,
not Columbus. Well, if you ask the Indians they would say they did.
But I won't split hairs. And aren't they offended if you call them
"indians"? And isn't the word "they" offensive when referring to an
ethnic group? Forget it I am going boating. : )

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 17:11:04 -0700, roger
wrote:

Why yes - I think they discovered Idaho somewhere around that time I
believe. Also Japan and Peru.

Well I am glad we know who really discovered America. The vikings,
not Columbus. Well, if you ask the Indians they would say they did.
But I won't split hairs. And aren't they offended if you call them
"indians"? And isn't the word "they" offensive when referring to an
ethnic group? Forget it I am going boating. : )

Did you know that Vikings discovered everywhere?

It's true.

Why all humanity isn't worshipping Thor, Odin and be all blond hair,
blue eyed, I'll never figure out.

"roger" wrote in message
oups.com...
Why yes - I think they discovered Idaho somewhere around that time I
believe. Also Japan and Peru.

Well I am glad we know who really discovered America. The vikings,
not Columbus. Well, if you ask the Indians they would say they did.
But I won't split hairs. And aren't they offended if you call them
"indians"? And isn't the word "they" offensive when referring to an
ethnic group? Forget it I am going boating. : )

Viking/Norse, but they didn't last long, the settlement died off.
Newfoundland I think. Should have picked a nicer place down south like
Plymouth.

HK HK is offline

Canuck57 wrote:
"roger" wrote in message
oups.com...
Why yes - I think they discovered Idaho somewhere around that time I
believe. Also Japan and Peru.

Well I am glad we know who really discovered America. The vikings,
not Columbus. Well, if you ask the Indians they would say they did.
But I won't split hairs. And aren't they offended if you call them
"indians"? And isn't the word "they" offensive when referring to an
ethnic group? Forget it I am going boating. : )

Viking/Norse, but they didn't last long, the settlement died off.
Newfoundland I think. Should have picked a nicer place down south like
Plymouth.

Isn't it fairly well proven that the first settlers in the Americas
wandered over from Asia when there was a land bridge connecting it to
what is now Alaska?

On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 09:56:24 -0400, HK wrote:

Canuck57 wrote:
"roger" wrote in message
oups.com...
Why yes - I think they discovered Idaho somewhere around that time I
believe. Also Japan and Peru.
Well I am glad we know who really discovered America. The vikings,
not Columbus. Well, if you ask the Indians they would say they did.
But I won't split hairs. And aren't they offended if you call them
"indians"? And isn't the word "they" offensive when referring to an
ethnic group? Forget it I am going boating. : )

Viking/Norse, but they didn't last long, the settlement died off.
Newfoundland I think. Should have picked a nicer place down south like
Plymouth.

Isn't it fairly well proven that the first settlers in the Americas
wandered over from Asia when there was a land bridge connecting it to
what is now Alaska?

Nope.

Vikings discovered the land bridge.

Those guys really got around.