HK HK is offline

Default How to **** off the family...

NOYB wrote:
"HK" wrote in message
Jack Goff wrote:
On Tue, 17 Jul 2007 21:46:50 -0400, HK wrote:

NOYB wrote:
"Don White" wrote in message
So my son has friends with poontoon boats and it would seem that Mrs.
Wave has an interest in this "slow boat" approach, so we went looking
today with intention to buy.

So we were talking to the sales guy and he's very helpful - up until
he mentionied power options.

I don't want a four stroke - no, no, no. I want two stroke. They
don't install two strokes on new boats.

Ok...well, let's explore another option. Just the boat - no rigging,
no engine and a trailer. I'll install my own engine, guages and
controls.

So the sales guy asks - what kind of engine to which I reply that I
have a source of ETECs and I can have an engine, gages and controls
here by Thursday, rig it myself (I have the software on this
computer)
and be on the water by Friday.

Anybody want to guess what happened next?
He whuped you upside the head? I would think this would be the ideal
setup for 4 strokes.....
After all, it's like a floating deck. Who wants to recline in a nice
comfy chaise trying to listen to nature with noisy, smelly 2 strokes
ruining the atmosphere.
But those E-tecs have that neck-snapping acceleration which is so
important on a pontoon boat.

/sarcasm

Just what I want on my boat...neck-snapping acceleration. So I can...
Hmmmm. You know, I'm not sure it matters if it takes four, five, six or
seven seconds for my boat to get up on plane. I guess if I boated on an
itty-bitty lake, acceleration would matter. After all, you can get from
one side to the other faster.
It matters if you want to ski, and especially slalom ski, behind your
pontoon boat.

I slalom ski behind my Bennington 25' Tri-toon with a 150hp Johnson.
Your seven-second planing boat doesn't interest me. Maybe when I get
older, I'll change my tune.

Jack

And everyone on shore says, "Look at that jackoff waterskiing behind that
pontoon boat..."

Hey, I'm not knocking pontoon boats. They're a lot of fun on calm lakes
and rivers and certainly more comfy for casual fishing than your typical
fishing boat.

Waterskiing behind a vessel that has a turning radius that covers half the
lake is a bad idea.

Hey...he's a jackoff...what do you expect?

I waterskied behind a Viking sportfish once. And only once. The wake was
great, but the fumes made me a bit ill.

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 15:38:17 GMT, "NOYB" wrote:

Waterskiing behind a vessel that has a turning radius that covers half the
lake is a bad idea.

Why?

The lake is large, the turns don't have to be tight, it's not crowded
when we ski, and the boat actually has a decent turning radius.

This is not your dad's pontoon. :-)

On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 11:45:53 -0400, HK wrote:

Hey...he's a jackoff...what do you expect?

Oh, harry's becoming infatuated with me. Keep it up, and I'll dump
you in my bozo bin. And I really have one.

I waterskied behind a Viking sportfish once. And only once. The wake was
great, but the fumes made me a bit ill.

You? Waterski? Must have been a coal-burning, steam powered boat.
Internal combustion hadn't been invented yet when you were still that
young.

"Jack Goff" wrote in message
On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 15:38:17 GMT, "NOYB" wrote:

Waterskiing behind a vessel that has a turning radius that covers half the
lake is a bad idea.

Why?

The lake is large, the turns don't have to be tight, it's not crowded
when we ski, and the boat actually has a decent turning radius.

This is not your dad's pontoon. :-)

My dad has two Boston Whalers and a Formula. He wouldn't be caught dead in a
pontoon. ;-)

On Jul 17, 2:15?pm, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

Anybody want to guess what happened next?

It depends on how sharp a deal you drove on the boat itself.
If it's a model in short supply, he could have let you walk.
When you bring in your own engine and do your own rigging that isn't
very attractive to the dealership. No profit from the sale of the
engine, no $100/hour labor charge to have a $12/hour apprentice mount
the engine, no brownie points with the outboard manufacturer that the
dealership is normally affiliated with, no opportunity to pitch you on
the wonderful benefits of an extended engine warranty, etc.

If I were selling somebody a new boat with a warranty, I'd be
particularly leary of a deal in which the customer were doing his own
rigging. The customer's installation and the boat itself interface in
so many ways that the odds of heated discussions over whether some
unsatisfactory aspect of performance, etc, was due to a defective hull
vs. defective rigging are pertty high.

Then there's the unintended negative publicity in the many inevitable
conversations that will go something like this;

"Hey, Tom! Nice looking pontoon boat. But when did Wholly Smoke Marine
start rigging those two-stroke Torquemaster outboards? I thought they
used four-stroke Edselizers instead?"

"They do, but I think those Edselizers are a real POS. I wouldn't own
a boat rigged with an Edselizer. The guys at Wholly Smoke were pretty
embarrassed about having to send a truck over to their competitor's to
pay retail for a new Torquemaster; but I wasn't going to let them jam
one of those Edselizers down my throat, no way!"

******

It wouldn't be impossible for your transaction to wind up with,

"Mr & Mrs Wave, we don't just sell boats here at Wholly Smoke- we want
to get you happily involved in a totally satisfactory experience.
Based upon scores of previous sales of this model, we are convinced
that our most satisfied customers have all selected one of our
recommended engines. I would urge you to do the same. Your
satisfaction is so important to us that we would, (very very
reluctantly),
rather lose your business to a competitor than equip you with a
package that our extensive experience with this product indicates
would be less than optimally matched to the hull. If you *were*
choosing one of our recommended engines, which one would it be?"

That's shorthand, of course, for "we need the profit from the engine,
rigging, and potential f&i revenue for the deal to make any sense to
us", but it's a little easier to send and receive. :-)

Senior Member

On Jul 17, 5:15 pm, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

Anybody want to guess what happened next?

You decided that if you are gonna' go that slow, you might as well
have a big fat skiff

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 00:05:00 GMT, "NOYB" wrote:

"Jack Goff" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 15:38:17 GMT, "NOYB" wrote:

Waterskiing behind a vessel that has a turning radius that covers half the
lake is a bad idea.

Why?

The lake is large, the turns don't have to be tight, it's not crowded
when we ski, and the boat actually has a decent turning radius.

This is not your dad's pontoon. :-)

My dad has two Boston Whalers and a Formula. He wouldn't be caught dead in a
pontoon. ;-)

Why, is he insecure? ;-)

Seriously, since we boat on a large lake, a pontoon is the ideal boat
for us.

It's a 25ft tri-toon with a 150hp on it. It will do 35mph, has a far
better ride than any fiberglass boat, more room than anything in it's
size, we can leave it in the water year-round in its slip without any
bottom coating expense and worries so we don't have to trailer it, and
we can tube and ski on it. It has a changing room with a porta-pottie
in it for when the weather gets chilly (for my wife).

About every 6 months we have the same discussion... should we get a
different boat? After weighing the options, it always comes back
around to the same thing... nothing else has all the advantages
without bringing along some significant downsides.

And I have no self-image issues. :-)
Tim Tim is offline

On Jul 17, 4:15 pm, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

Anybody want to guess what happened next?

We're eagerly waiting for the punch line.......

HK HK is offline

wrote:

Anybody want to guess what happened next?

We're eagerly waiting for the punch line.......

Apparently Tom was arrested and carted off to jail... :}
Tim Tim is offline

wrote:

Anybody want to guess what happened next?

We're eagerly waiting for the punch line.......

Apparently Tom was arrested and carted off to jail... :}

Or white coated to the nearest asylum....

Family Values Skipper General 0 January 10th 06 02:55 AM
Family Values Skipper General 0 January 10th 06 02:51 AM
Family of Four lost at sea Smithers one of 1000's General 1 December 21st 05 02:16 AM
(OT) There are links between the Bush family and the Bin Laden family [email protected] General 0 March 26th 04 05:16 PM
Help save this family Please Synergy General 0 July 8th 03 06:39 PM