BoatBanter.com

-   -   How to piss off the family... (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/84195-how-piss-off-family.html)

Short Wave Sportfishing July 17th 07 10:15 PM

How to piss off the family...

So my son has friends with poontoon boats and it would seem that Mrs.
Wave has an interest in this "slow boat" approach, so we went looking
today with intention to buy.

So we were talking to the sales guy and he's very helpful - up until
he mentionied power options.

I don't want a four stroke - no, no, no. I want two stroke. They
don't install two strokes on new boats.

Ok...well, let's explore another option. Just the boat - no rigging,
no engine and a trailer. I'll install my own engine, guages and
controls.

So the sales guy asks - what kind of engine to which I reply that I
have a source of ETECs and I can have an engine, gages and controls
here by Thursday, rig it myself (I have the software on this computer)
and be on the water by Friday.

Anybody want to guess what happened next?

JoeSpareBedroom July 17th 07 10:18 PM

How to piss off the family...

So my son has friends with poontoon boats and it would seem that Mrs.
Wave has an interest in this "slow boat" approach, so we went looking
today with intention to buy.

So we were talking to the sales guy and he's very helpful - up until
he mentionied power options.

I don't want a four stroke - no, no, no. I want two stroke. They
don't install two strokes on new boats.

Ok...well, let's explore another option. Just the boat - no rigging,
no engine and a trailer. I'll install my own engine, guages and
controls.

So the sales guy asks - what kind of engine to which I reply that I
have a source of ETECs and I can have an engine, gages and controls
here by Thursday, rig it myself (I have the software on this computer)
and be on the water by Friday.

Anybody want to guess what happened next?

No, but what's the software for?

NOYB July 17th 07 10:23 PM

How to piss off the family...

Anybody want to guess what happened next?

He called you an old-timer for still clinging to two-stroke technology?

HK July 17th 07 10:23 PM

How to piss off the family...

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
So my son has friends with poontoon boats and it would seem that Mrs.
Wave has an interest in this "slow boat" approach, so we went looking
today with intention to buy.

So we were talking to the sales guy and he's very helpful - up until
he mentionied power options.

I don't want a four stroke - no, no, no. I want two stroke. They
don't install two strokes on new boats.

Ok...well, let's explore another option. Just the boat - no rigging,
no engine and a trailer. I'll install my own engine, guages and
controls.

So the sales guy asks - what kind of engine to which I reply that I
have a source of ETECs and I can have an engine, gages and controls
here by Thursday, rig it myself (I have the software on this computer)
and be on the water by Friday.

Anybody want to guess what happened next?

A. you got a job offer
2. you got tossed out

JoeSpareBedroom July 17th 07 10:27 PM

How to piss off the family...

So my son has friends with poontoon boats and it would seem that Mrs.
Wave has an interest in this "slow boat" approach, so we went looking
today with intention to buy.

So we were talking to the sales guy and he's very helpful - up until
he mentionied power options.

I don't want a four stroke - no, no, no. I want two stroke. They
don't install two strokes on new boats.

Ok...well, let's explore another option. Just the boat - no rigging,
no engine and a trailer. I'll install my own engine, guages and
controls.

So the sales guy asks - what kind of engine to which I reply that I
have a source of ETECs and I can have an engine, gages and controls
here by Thursday, rig it myself (I have the software on this computer)
and be on the water by Friday.

Anybody want to guess what happened next?

OK - I'll bite. You got up to leave, a la the car dealer dance, to see if
he'd chase you to the parking lot. Mrs. Wave stayed and bought the boat with
the motor recommended by the guy.

HK July 17th 07 10:36 PM

How to piss off the family...

NOYB wrote:

Anybody want to guess what happened next?

He called you an old-timer for still clinging to two-stroke technology?

The day I got my Yamaha F225, I was "converted." There's nothing I find
appealing in the high-horsepower two strokes anymore. Size of the boat
isn't really relevant, because the boats I've been considering can swing
just about any weight outboard on the stern. I like the instant start,
the no-need to mix oil, the no smoke, the no oil in the water, the no
oil dripping somewhere in the boat, the car-like silence at idle, the no

My next boat likely will have a Yamaha F150 on the stern. There's no
sense having a 45-50 mph small boat on the Bay when most days the chop
is such that you are lucky to make 20-25 knots.

JimH July 17th 07 10:40 PM

How to piss off the family...

So my son has friends with poontoon boats and it would seem that Mrs.
Wave has an interest in this "slow boat" approach, so we went looking
today with intention to buy.

Tell her to then hire Perry Como (if he is still alive) to sing to you while
laying comatose along the back seat. That would cap off the slow boat
approach on a pontoon boat. ;-)

HK July 17th 07 10:43 PM

How to piss off the family...

JimH wrote:
So my son has friends with poontoon boats and it would seem that Mrs.
Wave has an interest in this "slow boat" approach, so we went looking
today with intention to buy.

Tell her to then hire Perry Como (if he is still alive) to sing to you while
laying comatose along the back seat. That would cap off the slow boat
approach on a pontoon boat. ;-)

I dunno. Pontoon boats make more sense on most smaller lakes than 60'
bubble boats.

Don White July 17th 07 11:09 PM

How to piss off the family...

So my son has friends with poontoon boats and it would seem that Mrs.
Wave has an interest in this "slow boat" approach, so we went looking
today with intention to buy.

So we were talking to the sales guy and he's very helpful - up until
he mentionied power options.

I don't want a four stroke - no, no, no. I want two stroke. They
don't install two strokes on new boats.

Ok...well, let's explore another option. Just the boat - no rigging,
no engine and a trailer. I'll install my own engine, guages and
controls.

So the sales guy asks - what kind of engine to which I reply that I
have a source of ETECs and I can have an engine, gages and controls
here by Thursday, rig it myself (I have the software on this computer)
and be on the water by Friday.

Anybody want to guess what happened next?

He whuped you upside the head? I would think this would be the ideal setup
for 4 strokes.....
After all, it's like a floating deck. Who wants to recline in a nice comfy
chaise trying to listen to nature with noisy, smelly 2 strokes ruining the
atmosphere.

Don White July 17th 07 11:11 PM

How to piss off the family...

"HK" wrote in message
JimH wrote:
So my son has friends with poontoon boats and it would seem that Mrs.
Wave has an interest in this "slow boat" approach, so we went looking
today with intention to buy.

Tell her to then hire Perry Como (if he is still alive) to sing to you
while laying comatose along the back seat. That would cap off the slow
boat approach on a pontoon boat. ;-)

I dunno. Pontoon boats make more sense on most smaller lakes than 60'
bubble boats.

Especially with young families... or in the case of most
here..grandchildren.