Default 25 hp merc torque steer

Tiller handle pulls hard away from driver causing boat to want to turn left.
Tried adjusting the trim tab all the way in both directions. Still pulls but
slightly less when adjusted all the way. tried a differant prop, same thing-
what gives?
Dixon

"Dixon" wrote in message
. ..
Tiller handle pulls hard away from driver causing boat to want to turn
left. Tried adjusting the trim tab all the way in both directions. Still
pulls but slightly less when adjusted all the way. tried a differant prop,
same thing- what gives?
Dixon

Oops, boat wants to turn RIGHT, Sorry, wasn't thinking.

Tiller handle pulls hard away from driver causing boat to want to turn
left. Tried adjusting the trim tab all the way in both directions. Still
pulls but slightly less when adjusted all the way. tried a differant prop,
same thing- what gives?

Three things you can check:
1. Motor is mounted straight up and down on the transom, looking from
behind.
2. Trim tab is adjusted so that the trailing edge is to starboard.
3. Tighten up the steering friction screw.

If it's not the above, I don't know what could make it pull that hard,
unless the skeg is bent, but I would think for it to steer that much a bend
would be noticeable. You might try playing with the tilt adjustment, just
to see if that makes any difference, for another clue to solving your
mystery. If all else fails, you might be able to get a bigger trim tab?

"FloydinTampa" wrote in message
. net...
Tiller handle pulls hard away from driver causing boat to want to turn
left. Tried adjusting the trim tab all the way in both directions. Still
pulls but slightly less when adjusted all the way. tried a differant
prop, same thing- what gives?

Three things you can check:
1. Motor is mounted straight up and down on the transom, looking from
behind.
2. Trim tab is adjusted so that the trailing edge is to starboard.
3. Tighten up the steering friction screw.

If it's not the above, I don't know what could make it pull that hard,
unless the skeg is bent, but I would think for it to steer that much a
bend would be noticeable. You might try playing with the tilt adjustment,
just to see if that makes any difference, for another clue to solving your
mystery. If all else fails, you might be able to get a bigger trim tab?

Funny you say bigger tab, I own a machine shop and I thought about making a
much bigger tab but first I'd like to know whats going on. When I was a kid
I had two 71/2 evinrudes over the years and one never pulled and the other
always pulled hard.

On Jul 8, 10:53 pm, "Dixon" wrote:
Tiller handle pulls hard away from driver causing boat to want to turn left.
Tried adjusting the trim tab all the way in both directions. Still pulls but
slightly less when adjusted all the way. tried a differant prop, same thing-
what gives?
Dixon

Dixon

Your never going to get rid of it completely. Just above the mounting
bracket in the front of the engine, in the center, is a lever that
moves left and right. That adjust the steering friction, if you
increase the friction it will be a little stiffer to push the tiller
left or right, but it should help lessen the effect of torque
steering.

John

What's Difference Between Inch-Pound Torque and Feet-Pound Torque? [email protected] General 16 October 18th 06 04:30 PM
merc alternator Chris General 1 September 20th 06 11:38 PM
Subaru Tribeca = Boulevard Car! Bob Crantz ASA 50 December 6th 05 03:11 PM
HEAD BOLT TORQUE ON MERC 3.0L B. Alexander General 2 July 8th 04 03:03 AM
Which engine for new pontoon, 60 hp merc BigFoot or 90 hp merc Jon General 15 February 6th 04 06:32 AM