Default Tuna! (was Poor man's Air Conditioning)

"RCE" wrote in message

Hey - go for it. Tuna fishing isn't a fav of mine (personally I think
tuna fishing is boring), but if you like it, do it.

I just came back from Scituate. I was wrong. The tuna being caught are
not the typical smaller "footballs". These are bigger and there's always
the possibility of a giant among them. These fish have not been in Cape
Cod Bay for many years. I agree, tuna fishing can be boring sometimes
until someone on the boat yells, "Fish on!" Then all hell breaks loose.

The flounder are back also ... even in the harbor. They've been hard to
find for almost 20 years when Quincy Bay was the world's greatest flounder
area. Somthin' strange going on.

Off to the Cape to check on the Navigator Tuna Barge ....

Eisboch

You hiding all our cod fish too? They must have gone somewhere!

Tim Tim is offline

Default Poor man's Air Conditioning

On Jun 30, 3:39 pm, "RCE" wrote:
We intended to have A/C installed in Mrs.E's boat during the layup last
winter, but things got busy and the plan was shelved, at least for a while.
With summer finally beginning to present itself and the humidity rising, I
decided to try installing a regular window A/C unit in the aft cabin access
hatch as a temporary solution. Bought a small chunk of marine plywood, cut
it to fit the hatch, sealed it with rubber strips to prevent water intrusion
and painted it white.

The acid test was two days ago with temps in the mid 90's and high humidity.
The little 10,000 BTU A/C unit was able to cool the entire boat down to a
comfortable 74 degrees.

Looks a little tacky, but it works.

http://www.eisboch.com/pangea2

Eisboch

OH! I thought you were bringing this back up...

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.b...sskisser++ice&

"Tim" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jun 30, 3:39 pm, "RCE" wrote:
[...]

You just need some ice and a cardboard box....

Tim Tim is offline

D.Duck wrote:

OH! I thought you were bringing this back up...

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.b...sskisser++ice&

You just need some ice and a cardboard box....

Yeah, I'm really suprised Eisboch didn't go this route. At least it
wouldn't have that gawdy window air conditioner hanging out the
back...

LOL!

Tim Tim is offline

RCE wrote:

I was very proud of myself as the boat's main cabin cooled down from 90
degrees to the mid 70's in a couple of hours. The aft cabin was like a
freezer.

Eisboch

Richard, for more even cooling, you need a couple small fans to aid
air circulation to make the cabin temps more even.

Of course, you've probably already thought of that.

On Sun, 1 Jul 2007 10:52:14 -0400, "RCE" wrote:

I just came back from Scituate. I was wrong. The tuna being caught are not
the typical smaller "footballs". These are bigger and there's always the
possibility of a giant among them.

Do you know what kind of bait and technique are being used?

I've always wanted to catch a good sized tuna. We just pulled into
Stamford, CT today with the GB49 and I'm in the process of planning
out the rest of the summer.
RCE RCE is offline

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Sun, 1 Jul 2007 10:52:14 -0400, "RCE" wrote:

I just came back from Scituate. I was wrong. The tuna being caught are
not
the typical smaller "footballs". These are bigger and there's always the
possibility of a giant among them.

Do you know what kind of bait and technique are being used?

I've always wanted to catch a good sized tuna. We just pulled into
Stamford, CT today with the GB49 and I'm in the process of planning
out the rest of the summer.

Most are using the standard artificial squid rigs. Of course, each captain
has his "special" tailer attached to entice the tuna. Others have special
bottom paint, some swear that different engine exhaust sounds attract them.
Personally, I think it's all BS.

The technique is to find a pod of tuna (watch for working birds) and
circle the pod, trolling the squid rig through it. 3-4 kts is a good
trolling speed (no problem for a GB, but the Egg I had required trolling on
one engine only).

Most of the time is spent running around, chasing the pods.

I don't have a clue how you would land it on the GB. Maybe hoist it aboard
using the mast and boom?

Good luck. If you get near Kingman Yacht Center or Scituate, give me a
yell.

Eisboch

RCE RCE is offline

"Wayne.B" wrote in message

I've always wanted to catch a good sized tuna. We just pulled into
Stamford, CT today with the GB49 and I'm in the process of planning
out the rest of the summer.

Forgot to mention the rods, reels and other gear required, plus a ton of
ice, a place to put it (and the catch). You are supposed to gut the tuna
as soon as you catch it, then immediately get it on and covered with ice,
so plan on a messy deck.

I totaled up the cost of my first and only tuna catch. Brand new 37' Egg
Harbor, three tuna rods/reels, outriggers along with other misc. gear means
I caught a tuna worth approximately $425,000.

Eisboch

On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 20:39:14 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Sun, 1 Jul 2007 10:52:14 -0400, "RCE" wrote:

I just came back from Scituate. I was wrong. The tuna being caught are not
the typical smaller "footballs". These are bigger and there's always the
possibility of a giant among them.

Do you know what kind of bait and technique are being used?

I've always wanted to catch a good sized tuna. We just pulled into
Stamford, CT today with the GB49 and I'm in the process of planning
out the rest of the summer.

How's everything down in Stamford?

On Tue, 3 Jul 2007 06:19:17 -0400, "RCE" wrote:

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 1 Jul 2007 10:52:14 -0400, "RCE" wrote:

I just came back from Scituate. I was wrong. The tuna being caught are
not
the typical smaller "footballs". These are bigger and there's always the
possibility of a giant among them.

Do you know what kind of bait and technique are being used?

I've always wanted to catch a good sized tuna. We just pulled into
Stamford, CT today with the GB49 and I'm in the process of planning
out the rest of the summer.

Most are using the standard artificial squid rigs. Of course, each captain
has his "special" tailer attached to entice the tuna. Others have special
bottom paint, some swear that different engine exhaust sounds attract them.
Personally, I think it's all BS.

It is, although there is some evidence that engine vibrations do
attract some fish to the lure - the deeper the vibration in terms of
frequency, the better.

Couldn't prove it by me.

The technique is to find a pod of tuna (watch for working birds) and
circle the pod, trolling the squid rig through it. 3-4 kts is a good
trolling speed (no problem for a GB, but the Egg I had required trolling on
one engine only).

Most of the time is spent running around, chasing the pods.

Exactly and if you are in a fleet, that can become extremely amusing
to watch.

I've seen things...I've seen them with my eyes. :)