Default Tuna! (was Poor man's Air Conditioning)

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 10:53:54 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

How's everything down in Stamford?

In a word, *cool*. We had our ski hats and gloves on yesterday
morning as we came up through NY harbor at 7:00AM. This morning is
very crisp and clear, should turn into a nice day later on.

The trip went pretty well, 1500 NM in 14 days, good weather for the
most part and most systems working well. I need to find a good
alternator rebuild shop in the Stamford-Norwalk area however, if you
have any suggestions.

We'll be headed "out east" towards the end of July. Perhaps we could
get together in Essex or some such.

On Tue, 3 Jul 2007 06:19:17 -0400, "RCE" wrote:

Most are using the standard artificial squid rigs. Of course, each captain
has his "special" tailer attached to entice the tuna. Others have special
bottom paint, some swear that different engine exhaust sounds attract them.
Personally, I think it's all BS.

Interesting. The guys in the Bahamas who fish for tuna swear by
something called a "cedar plug" and also mentioned circling the birds.
Our GB definitely attracts dolphins in big numbers, apparently because
of the sound. Once they find the boat however riding the wake becomes
the big attraction.

We routinely hoist the RIB dinghy, 20 hp outboard, fuel and gear using
the mast and boom, probably in the 400 to 500 pound range all up. Our
mast and boom are more heavily stayed than most.
RCE RCE is offline

"Wayne.B" wrote in message

We routinely hoist the RIB dinghy, 20 hp outboard, fuel and gear using
the mast and boom, probably in the 400 to 500 pound range all up. Our
mast and boom are more heavily stayed than most.

We just ordered a fiberglass dinghy from Dyer Boats. It's the only one I
found that will fit on the aft cabin cradle and is of the style acceptable
to Mrs. E.

http://www.dyerboats.com/dyer_midget.html

The boat was rigged with a single block on the boom and I knew that wouldn't
hack it as there would be no mechanical advantage. I started searching the
Internet for some multiple blocks, then, lo and behold, while rummaging
around on the boat I found an almost brand new triple block setup, complete
with new line. It should do the job very well.

Eisboch

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 10:13:24 -0400, wrote:

http://www.jackrabbitmarine.com/

Located right in Stamford
203-961-8133

If they can't do it, they will know somebody good.

Thanks good call. I met the owner of Jackrabbit once and one of his
sons used to be a neighbor of mine.

Meanwhile the issue seems to have been resolved with a bit of belt
tightening. We'll see.

On Tue, 3 Jul 2007 10:11:08 -0400, "RCE" wrote:

http://www.dyerboats.com/dyer_midget.html

The boat was rigged with a single block on the boom and I knew that wouldn't
hack it as there would be no mechanical advantage. I started searching the
Internet for some multiple blocks, then, lo and behold, while rummaging
around on the boat I found an almost brand new triple block setup, complete
with new line. It should do the job very well.

Triple blocks will work well on a light dinghy, 5 to 1 purchase I
assume. I started out with a 5:1 on the boom lift but it was not
enough for my slightly aging back and heavy RIB. I now have 7:1
pulling 2:1 and that works well for the most part, the only real issue
being that I can only raise the boom to a 45 degree angle. That's
usually enough unless I want to go stow something close to the mast.

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 09:46:02 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

We'll be headed "out east" towards the end of July. Perhaps we could
get together in Essex or some such.

10-4.

We'll be back from SC by then.

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 09:55:51 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Tue, 3 Jul 2007 06:19:17 -0400, "RCE" wrote:

Most are using the standard artificial squid rigs. Of course, each captain
has his "special" tailer attached to entice the tuna. Others have special
bottom paint, some swear that different engine exhaust sounds attract them.
Personally, I think it's all BS.

Interesting. The guys in the Bahamas who fish for tuna swear by
something called a "cedar plug" and also mentioned circling the birds.

It's not a regional thing. Cedar plugs are pretty common "chase"
baits. They have a sound component as they splash around that imitates
a bait fish.

A lot of times you will see daisy chains with cedar plugs, although
I'm not convinced that these types of chase baits in daisy chains are
as effective as plastics with bubbler heads.

When I was active, I liked to use divers with daisy chained bubblers.
I found a combination of Mann's deep divers out 100 yards as teasers
with flying outlyer bubblers daisy chained worked well.

To each their own I guess.

Our GB definitely attracts dolphins in big numbers, apparently because
of the sound. Once they find the boat however riding the wake becomes
the big attraction.

See what I was talking about? A lot of the more successful tuna
chasers have 671s.

We routinely hoist the RIB dinghy, 20 hp outboard, fuel and gear using
the mast and boom, probably in the 400 to 500 pound range all up. Our
mast and boom are more heavily stayed than most.

That would do it, although pulling a tuna over the transom would take
some muscle - in particular if you managed to hook into a giant.

On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 16:08:14 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

That would do it, although pulling a tuna over the transom would take
some muscle - in particular if you managed to hook into a giant.

The only giant I ever saw was in Scituate up near Eisboch's turf. A
guy had it at the town dock waiting for buyers to check it out. He
was in a 24 ft open cockpit I/O with his wife and kids. I guess he
must have towed it all the way back. About half of the town was there
to see it and we went over to find out what the commotion was about.