RCE RCE is offline

Default Poor man's Air Conditioning

"Mike" wrote in message
. net...

Looks great to me! Cheaper, and prolly works just as well as a "marine"
a/c unit. Will the condensate runoff stain the deck? My guess is no since
it's essencially distilled water, but what do I know... just a thought.
The A/C on my boat is the throttle. :-)

--Mike

Heh. The throttle provides very little natural A/C on this boat. 7.5 kt
cruise and 9 kt WOT (running down the backside of a large wave).

The portable marine type that fits in a standard hatch (which this boat does
not have) has less BTU capacity and is around 900 bucks. A "real" water
cooled unit is double that, plus it involves installing new thru hulls,
strainers and sea cocks, plus duct work. Beyond my capability and will have
to wait until the boat is hauled.

Meanwhile, this setup's total cost was about 240 bucks (including the new
A/C) and about two hours of my time to take measurements, cut the wood,
paint, install the unit and wire a separate shore power connector for it. I
was very proud of myself as the boat's main cabin cooled down from 90
degrees to the mid 70's in a couple of hours. The aft cabin was like a
freezer.

Eisboch