Default OT- Screwed... but we've talked it over before....

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message

Since everybody is posting OT, I thought I would revisit a topic that
we discussed a year or so ago.

I was doing some deck work and had bought some stainless deck screws
with the Robertson square drive. I thought they sucked, since they
were hard to drive and tended to strip out and break off.... others
suggested that I should be pre-drilling holes. That seemed like a
unnecessary and labor intensive task.

The local building supply has stopped carrying the Robertson headed
screws and now supplies an exterior plated screw (Grip Rite) with star
drive. They are excellent! I've driven a whole box of 4 inch screws
and not one single stripped head or broken screw (and no predilling,
either).

They worked for me.....

--

Grady-White Gulfstream, out of Oak Island, NC.

Homepage
http://pamandgene.idleplay.net/

Rec.boats at Lee Yeaton's Bayguide
http://www.thebayguide.com/rec.boats

---
Virus Database (VPS): 000727-1, 03/23/2007
Tested on: 3/24/2007 7:35:47 PM

Thanks for the tip Gene. What type of new planking did you put down?

We have finished cedar on ours but even with an application of 'One Time' (a
"guaranteed" 7 year protection - Ha!) our deck is taking a beating from the
east exposure.

I have been thinking of tearing out the cedar and going with Trex to avoid
the restaining and resealing hastles, especially when it takes up my time
prepping and being out on the boat. ;-)

"JimH" wrote in message

[...]

I did Trex 2 years ago. Is da bomb as SWF says about the screws. Takes
twice as much substructure support vs. a wood deck. 16" centers joists.
Washes off fairly easy, I do have a stiff brush to wash the deck. No
slivers and smooth surface.

On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 08:51:12 -0400, Gene Kearns
wrote:

Good thought, but I have heard of people that were rather underwhelmed
by the appearance of the "plastic woods" after a few summer seasons.
You may not get the beating we take from the sun and weather....

We went with "Weatherbest Pacific Cedar" decking because it has a very
natural appearance. So far so good after 2 1/2 years, and we have sun
here in south Florida that is almost unbelievable.

The down side is that the stringers have to be on 16 inch centers
instead of 24.

http://www.lpcorp.com/deckingrailing...ngrailing.aspx

wrote:

Good thought, but I have heard of people that were rather underwhelmed
by the appearance of the "plastic woods" after a few summer seasons.
You may not get the beating we take from the sun and weather....

We went with "Weatherbest Pacific Cedar" decking because it has a very
natural appearance. So far so good after 2 1/2 years, and we have sun
here in south Florida that is almost unbelievable.

The down side is that the stringers have to be on 16 inch centers
instead of 24.

http://www.lpcorp.com/deckingrailing...ngrailing.aspx

I am sold on the "plastic woods" also. We rebuilt the deck of the house we
had in Florida with whatever brand the Home Depot carries. After almost 4
years, it still looked new. The area we lived in (Jupiter) was subjected to
"black rain" due to the burning of the sugar cane fields in central Florida.
Power washing the deck once a year kept it looking good.

Eisboch

"Eisboch" wrote in message
. ..

I am sold on the "plastic woods" also. We rebuilt the deck of the house
we had in Florida with whatever brand the Home Depot carries. After
almost 4 years, it still looked new. The area we lived in (Jupiter) was
subjected to "black rain" due to the burning of the sugar cane fields in
central Florida. Power washing the deck once a year kept it looking good.

Eisboch

Last fall I added a 10 x12 piece to our existing deck. Used pressure treated
5/4" spruce decking over 2x6" joists on 16" centers.
Shortly after, the next door neighbour hired a contractor to build a large
two level deck with plastic wood. Sure looks pretty, but we'll see which
lasts longer.

On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 09:43:24 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Guy next door did his deck with that stuff three years ago - still
looks great, although there was a slight degradation in color for
about a year which was uneven, then next year that went away and it's
looks great now.

"Don White" wrote in message

"Eisboch" wrote in message
. ..

I am sold on the "plastic woods" also. We rebuilt the deck of the house
we had in Florida with whatever brand the Home Depot carries. After
almost 4 years, it still looked new. The area we lived in (Jupiter) was
subjected to "black rain" due to the burning of the sugar cane fields in
central Florida. Power washing the deck once a year kept it looking good.

Eisboch

Last fall I added a 10 x12 piece to our existing deck. Used pressure
treated 5/4" spruce decking over 2x6" joists on 16" centers.
Shortly after, the next door neighbour hired a contractor to build a large
two level deck with plastic wood. Sure looks pretty, but we'll see which
lasts longer.

Hard to tell, but I know your neighbor will be relaxing and enjoying a brew
while he watches you do the yearly maintenance on yours. :-)

Eisboch

On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 09:43:24 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

The only negative with the plastic composite is that it gets hot to walk on
in bare feet in the summer sun. A plus though, is that it doesn't get
slippery like a wood deck. Ours was located beside the pool, and the lack
of being slippery was nice.

We have been doing yearly maintenance on our house up here (MA) every year
and have slowly been replacing a lot of the trimwork boards that are close
to, or in contact with the ground with plastic composite. Lasts forever and
doesn't need regular painting.

Eisboch

OT- Screwed... but we've talked it over before.... Short Wave Sportfishing General 4 March 25th 07 06:45 AM
OT- Screwed... but we've talked it over before.... Chuck Gould General 2 March 25th 07 03:12 AM
Google results in ASA 4 Screwed the Pooch Joe ASA 2 April 17th 06 02:29 PM
I screwed up Harry.Krause General 0 October 4th 05 09:58 PM
I must have screwed up . . . Capt. Neal® ASA 3 January 21st 05 03:43 PM