posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Default The Joys of Boating

On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 18:50:16 -0400, "JimH"
wrote:

"Wilbur Hubbard" wrote in message

It shows that you never bothered learning just about anything. A Mac26? A
Mac26? Bwahahahahhahahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahahhahahah ahah! Were you a
WAVE in the Navy?

Wilbur Hubbard

See ya! plunk

Good idea. Sorry to bring this on, but it's par for the course when
the Mac 26 is "discussed." I posted to the cruising group too, hoping
for some useful input, and already got some.
"Wilbur" is the Rod Speed of the boating groups, but like Speed, often
has useful/insightful posts when he's not making you gag.
Since "Wilbur" is a real sailor and a more entertaining writer than
Speed, he's worthwhile when he's not baby talking or insulting people
to no purpose.

--Vic
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Good idea. Sorry to bring this on, but it's par for the course when
the Mac 26 is "discussed." I posted to the cruising group too, hoping
for some useful input, and already got some.
"Wilbur" is the Rod Speed of the boating groups, but like Speed, often
has useful/insightful posts when he's not making you gag.
Since "Wilbur" is a real sailor and a more entertaining writer than
Speed, he's worthwhile when he's not baby talking or insulting people
to no purpose.

--Vic

definitions:

Any ways you got good advice from a bunch of folks: since i do not
"sail" but was on ships for most of my life.
I would say the other leg of this stool is to go a talk to some of the
folks down on the gulf coast of florida and on up to texas face to
face and ask questions. if this boat is not going to be anyplace else
you might not need what you think you need.
2MT

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 17:48:24 -0600, Vic Smith
wrote:

Now I want to try that Flying Scot, but I've got no
doubt it'll make the Max 26 feel like a dog under sail.

More like 3 dogs :-)

The Flying Scot will run circles around it.

The mac 26 is just too big a compromise in my opinion. Most people
end up using them under power most of the time, and they aren't nearly
as well suited for that as a real power boat.

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

On 24 Mar 2007 16:50:30 -0700, "Chuck Gould"
wrote:

With a single outboard, you can realize some pretty impressive speeds
when in the "powerboat mode".

Strangely enough, this hardly interests me, although since it's there
I'll probably make use of it at one time or another. I'm really not
at all interested in speed, and would be content with a trawler or
tug if that could happily meet my finances. My goals have a lot
vested in economy. Sails suit that well with the silent pleasure
aspect of sailing thrown in.

As far as interior accommodation goes- that small cockpit that
restricts your fishing room translates into about 3 times the interior
cabin room of most 26-foot powerboats.

Good point, and one I easily forget when thinking about how I'm going
to fish from that boat. I *really* need some hands-on time.

As you can see, there are certain brands of boats (usually among the
more moderately priced) where ownership comes with a steady barrage of
nasty comments from nasty people who can't wait to tell you what a
dunce you were for not buying whatever brand they happen to own. I
have to wonder how many people wind up buying a beat up old hulk with
an "acceptable" trade name on it just to avoid dealing with such
jerks?

Or a new Honda instead of a used Chevy (-:
Being a used Chevy guy, my skin deflects all arrows.
And has some bearing on why I can afford a boat in the first place!

I still think you'd be no worse off with a new Mac 26, (given the rest
of your requirements) than you would be with a 1979 version of a
"real" sailboat (with "real" headaches) for maybe the same kind of
money.

Thanks for your comments, Chuck.

--Vic

On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 20:39:35 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:
snippity-snip

No. He was a Canadian psychologist who along with Ayn Rand defined
Objectivism - basically the precursor of Libertarianism. Was a
member of a group called "The Collective" which had some interesting
members including Alan Greenspan.

Which explains the gooble de gook Greenspan used during his
Congressional testimony.

Want to give yourself a headache?

Parse the following:

"The issue of concepts (known as "the problem of universals") is
philosophy's central issue. Since man's knowledge is gained and held
in conceptual form, the validity of man's knowledge depends upon the
validity of concepts. But concepts are abstractions or universals, and
everything that man perceives is particular, concrete. What is the
relationship between abstractions and concretes? To what precisely do
concepts refer in reality? Do they refer to something real, something
that exist - or are they merely inventions of man's mind, arbitrary
constructs or loose approximations that can not claim to represent
knowledge?"

I'll wait. :)

Easy.
"Is it live, or is it Memorex?" sums it up nicely.
Mark E. Williams

On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 00:11:52 GMT, Short Wave Sportfishing
wrote:

Rod Speed sounds like a good name for a porn star.

He's an Aussie, and that's his real name. Quite a pest, but sometimes
actually makes good sense.

On the other hand, Wilbur Hubbard sounds like the victim in a noir
crime novel. :)

LOL. You're right.

Hubbard Speed would be a great name for a band. :)

On that too.

--Vic
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

On 24 Mar 2007 18:13:21 -0700, "Two meter troll"
wrote:

Any ways you got good advice from a bunch of folks: since i do not
"sail" but was on ships for most of my life.

I'll sure remember what you said about wiring.

I would say the other leg of this stool is to go a talk to some of the
folks down on the gulf coast of florida and on up to texas face to
face and ask questions. if this boat is not going to be anyplace else
you might not need what you think you need.
2MT

Sounds like an excellent idea. And a nice vacation too!

--Vic

wrote:

Now I want to try that Flying Scot, but I've got no
doubt it'll make the Max 26 feel like a dog under sail.

More like 3 dogs :-)

The Flying Scot will run circles around it.

The mac 26 is just too big a compromise in my opinion. Most people
end up using them under power most of the time, and they aren't nearly
as well suited for that as a real power boat.

Far from defending the Mac26, I will say that there are situations when it
seems to be appropriate. For example, I know a couple who have one, and they
almost exclusively explore the marshland near a community in the SF bayarea.
They don't venture out onto the bay much... perhaps 5 percent of the time
and then only in the south bay. They like bird watching and don't want to
kayak, since they stay out for a couple of days in a row. I think they do
sail it a bit, but mostly they motor very slowly hither and yon.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Vic Smith wrote:

Thanks. Nice boat, but might be a bit rich for my blood. Hadn't seen
it before even with all my browsing. You may be right on target
though, and I take your advice to try out what I'm buying before I buy
it to heart. You gave me another avenue to explore.
Although I'm not young, I'm still in pretty good shape, and do like
the idea of sailing, having crewed some.

--Vic

Heck, Vic.

My boat is smaller that that - a LOT smaller - and we do fine for
a few nights.

Who you are with makes a big difference.

Richard

wrote:
Now I want to try that Flying Scot, but I've got no
doubt it'll make the Max 26 feel like a dog under sail.

More like 3 dogs * *:-)

The Flying Scot will run circles around it.

The mac 26 is just too big a compromise in my opinion. *Most people
end up using them under power most of the time, and they aren't nearly
as well suited for that as a real power boat.

Good observation.

It may be regionally significant, or not. The best months for sailing
in my region are when it's pretty cold and still peeing down rain in
the spring and fall. The winds don't come up until late in the
afternoon a lot of midsummer days when the weather is warmer.

As a result, most of the sailboats in this corner of the country
operate under power most of the time. Sailing seems to be reserved for
racing, or for screwing around with for an hour or two after arriving
in the general vicinity of the ultimate daily destination. Of course
there are scattered exceptions, just enough to prove the rule. From
that respect, a MacGregor that spent most of its time in powerboat
mode wouldn't vary much from a more elite brand doing the same thing.

Group claims PWC sales up, accidents down, and gas prices not reducing boating activity Chuck Gould General 0 August 31st 06 11:38 PM
Safer Boating RT Boat Building 7 April 27th 06 11:25 PM
Safer Boating RT Cruising 5 April 27th 06 11:55 AM
Boating Safer RT General 0 April 26th 06 05:05 PM