posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

Default The Joys of Boating

On 24 Mar 2007 13:24:03 -0700, "Tim" wrote:

On Mar 24, 2:15 pm, "Wilbur Hubbard"
wrote:
"Vic Smith" my brain wrote in messagenews:3qta03hvvu4h42k6s9tndks71gfi69aio8@4ax .com...
big snip to remove thinly-disguised and transparant advert for
MacGregor junk

But please don't make my ears turn red. OTOH, since I'm an old
navy guy, that might be impossible.

--Vic

An old navy guy? Sure you are, Vic. I bet Nathan Branden is your best
friend.

Wilbur Hubbard

Was Nathaniel Branden in the Navy?

I knew a Branden in boot camp, but maybe it was Brandon.
We never used first names, so I have no idea on that.
Too busy boating right now to look in the boot camp book.

--Vic
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 16:44:46 -0600, Vic Smith
wrote:

Although I'm not young, I'm still in pretty good shape, and do like
the idea of sailing, having crewed some.

Sure, sailing is great fun but it is difficult to get a boat that
sails well and cruises well, and still meets your shallow draft
requirement. You might want to get an inexpensive day sailor just as
a fun boat. There are lots to choose from, but one of my choices
would be a Flying Scot.

http://www.flyingscot.com/

They are good boats that sail very well and meet your specs with the
exception of cruising. You can beach them and go tent camping of
course. I'm guessing you could pick up a good used one with trailer
for less than $5K.

On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 17:02:36 -0400, Wayne.B
wrote:

On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 13:32:11 -0600, Vic Smith
wrote:

--Livability. I just don't have the experience here, from what I've
read the Mac is as comfortable as any 26. Since I've tented for
weeks at a time, I don't see a problem with it. I'm not going to be
living on the boat. Me and the wife on 2-6 week cruises, and we
are not tall, and not fat.

With all due respect, that boat will get very small for two people
after a few days of cruising. I appreciate what you are trying to do
but I hate to see you spend money on a boat that neither sails, motors
or cruises very well. See if you can rent one for a week before you
buy.

In the long run I think you'd be happier with something like a RF246
with a 4 stroke outboard on it.

http://www.rosboroughboats.com/

Try to find a good used one.

That is a nice looking boat. Any idea what they cost new?
--
***** Hope your day is better than decent! *****

John H

wrote:

--Livability. I just don't have the experience here, from what I've
read the Mac is as comfortable as any 26. Since I've tented for
weeks at a time, I don't see a problem with it. I'm not going to be
living on the boat. Me and the wife on 2-6 week cruises, and we
are not tall, and not fat.

With all due respect, that boat will get very small for two people
after a few days of cruising. I appreciate what you are trying to do
but I hate to see you spend money on a boat that neither sails, motors
or cruises very well. See if you can rent one for a week before you
buy.

In the long run I think you'd be happier with something like a RF246
with a 4 stroke outboard on it.

It would look better with a 225 ETEC HO on it.

http://www.rosboroughboats.com/

Try to find a good used one.

I really like that open cockpit model - looks a lot like the early
model Uniflites.
posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

"Vic Smith" wrote in message
On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 17:55:47 -0400, Harry Krause
wrote:

Vic Smith wrote:

I knew a Branden in boot camp, but maybe it was Brandon.
We never used first names, so I have no idea on that.
Too busy boating right now to look in the boot camp book.

--Vic

I believe the Branden referred to here was a follower of Ayn Rand,
originator of the most turgid bits of pseudo-philosophy and prose ever
perpetrated on mankind. Or close to it.

I started reading Atlas Shrugged once. Started. Quite a contrast in
the work of a Dostoevsky writing Crime and Punishment, and a Rand
writing her crap, though both were essentially writing about nihilism.
Dostoevsky knew what he was doing, however, in C and P.
There's a guy posting in the ASA group using the Branden moniker.
I don't bother with him either.

--Vic

It shows that you never bothered learning just about anything. A Mac26?
A Mac26? Bwahahahahhahahahhahahahhahahhahahahhahahahhahahah ahah! Were
you a WAVE in the Navy?

Wilbur Hubbard

Wilbur Hubbard

posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.cruising

"Vic Smith" wrote in message
As I do extensive reading in trying to select what boat will suit me
best, I realize just how much fun boating is.

snipped

Hey Vicky, here's a boat that fits your abilities . . . You wahini!

http://thebayguide.com/rec.boats/pho...sumpter_01.jpg

Faster than a Mac and built better.

Wilbur Hubbard

wrote:

Vic Smith wrote:

I knew a Branden in boot camp, but maybe it was Brandon.
We never used first names, so I have no idea on that.
Too busy boating right now to look in the boot camp book.

--Vic

I believe the Branden referred to here was a follower of Ayn Rand,
originator of the most turgid bits of pseudo-philosophy and prose ever
perpetrated on mankind. Or close to it.

I started reading Atlas Shrugged once. Started. Quite a contrast in
the work of a Dostoevsky writing Crime and Punishment, and a Rand
writing her crap, though both were essentially writing about nihilism.

Um..not really.

Nihilism isn't a central feature of either novel. As defined nihilism
isn't redemptive in any sense as it is mostly about self and the
worthlessness of human endeavor - other words life has no worth, no
truth and no type of social action is worth more than any other.

C&P is a tale of redemption - salvation through suffering - the idea
that This is the notion that suffering cleanses the spirit allowing
for salvation in the eyes of God.

Atlas Shrugged is pure, unadulterated New Wave bull**** years ahead of
it's time. While it has some notable passages which might lead one to
think of nihilism, it is really about perception of reality which is a
feature of nihilist thought, but where nihilism distates that self
worth isn't real, Objectivism is all about self worth and perception
of reality - truth to the individual and society of individuals.

Damn - I hated philosophy class. :)

wrote:

--Livability. I just don't have the experience here, from what I've
read the Mac is as comfortable as any 26. Since I've tented for
weeks at a time, I don't see a problem with it. I'm not going to be
living on the boat. Me and the wife on 2-6 week cruises, and we
are not tall, and not fat.

With all due respect, that boat will get very small for two people
after a few days of cruising. I appreciate what you are trying to do
but I hate to see you spend money on a boat that neither sails, motors
or cruises very well. See if you can rent one for a week before you
buy.

In the long run I think you'd be happier with something like a RF246
with a 4 stroke outboard on it.

http://www.rosboroughboats.com/

Try to find a good used one.

Thanks. Nice boat, but might be a bit rich for my blood. Hadn't seen
it before even with all my browsing. You may be right on target
though, and I take your advice to try out what I'm buying before I buy
it to heart. You gave me another avenue to explore.

wrote:

Vic Smith wrote:

I knew a Branden in boot camp, but maybe it was Brandon.
We never used first names, so I have no idea on that.
Too busy boating right now to look in the boot camp book.

--Vic

I believe the Branden referred to here was a follower of Ayn Rand,
originator of the most turgid bits of pseudo-philosophy and prose ever
perpetrated on mankind. Or close to it.

I started reading Atlas Shrugged once. Started. Quite a contrast in
the work of a Dostoevsky writing Crime and Punishment, and a Rand
writing her crap, though both were essentially writing about nihilism.
Dostoevsky knew what he was doing, however, in C and P.
There's a guy posting in the ASA group using the Branden moniker.
I don't bother with him either.

--Vic

Group claims PWC sales up, accidents down, and gas prices not reducing boating activity Chuck Gould General 0 August 31st 06 11:38 PM
Safer Boating RT Boat Building 7 April 27th 06 11:25 PM
Safer Boating RT Cruising 5 April 27th 06 11:55 AM
Boating Safer RT General 0 April 26th 06 05:05 PM