Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Default Hull Type Economy

I hate buying fuel, and I hate using it. It's possible I may end with
a sail boat, but since I've only had a tiny bit of experience crewing
sail, and I'm a bit long in the tooth, motor is probably my future.
From reading and googling this group I've begun to open my mind to
other types of boats beside the Carolina Skiff I had originally set my
sights on.
From reading the C. Skiff group on msn it's apparent that the skiffs
get very good mileage, and are all-around good near-shore fishing
boats.
But the accounts there are anecdotal, and the mileage measurements
are always done with a lot of on-plane time included.
Planing at 30+ is fine, but frankly, I'm never in a hurry. I can get
speed kicks at Great America should the urge come. It doesn't.
So I'm starting to think I might be better suited to a slow boat with
some measure of livability that slower travel requires, especially
since that boat might also afford more big water capability than a
skiff provides.
I'm pretty flexible about the comfort factor, so there's no saying
a 24-26' skiff can't be rigged for a measure of livability.
By "livability" I mean 3-4 nights. I'm not a masochist.
I found a fishing cap'n running a 24' CS out of Ft Myers and plan
to charter him next month or late this month to get a feel for
that boat and the Charlotte Harbor waters.
In the meantime, I'm going to get a bit of education on other hull
types. Googling this group hasn't provided much I can use, maybe
because the answer can't be pat, or maybe I just missed the answer.
DSK seems to know a lot about this, and maybe Chuck, though he usually
deals with more boat than I can afford.
First, let me lay down the only essential requirements for the boat
1. the boat is seaworthy of typical Gulf of Mexico offshore excursions
- non-hurricane but otherwise expected seas.
2. two people can live aboard without tripping over each other.
3. cost is no more than $30k, shipshape.
That's it.
What hull/engine combos offer the best MPG?
Anybody?

Thanks,

--Vic