M.E.

Default Fishfinder Opinions?

I'm looking at purchasing a fishfinder for my 17' Fiberglass boat... I have
looked at the Garmin 160 and the Hummingbird 300TX but I would like to get
some opinions...

Any recommendations? The main features I am looking for a

Accuracy
Depth
Fish
Waterproof
and preferably speed sensor...
I'm not looking to break the bank.

Any input would be great!

Thanks,

FishFan

"M.E." wrote in message ...
I'm looking at purchasing a fishfinder for my 17' Fiberglass boat... I have
looked at the Garmin 160 and the Hummingbird 300TX but I would like to get
some opinions...

Any recommendations? The main features I am looking for a

Accuracy
Depth
Fish
Waterproof
and preferably speed sensor...
I'm not looking to break the bank.

Any input would be great!

Thanks,

The Garmin 160 usually is on sale in a "package" deal that throws in
the speed sensor for free - Look around. I like mine, for the most
part. Just put it on in May and all went well with installtion and
set-up. It's accurate on the shallow side. I can't tell on the deep
end. I haven't had any problems with the head, but the transom mounted
transducer flips up on its own too easilly. Every once and a while I
lose readings and have to lean over the transom and push it back down.
Can't do nothing about that until I haul the boat. Also, although it
didn't happen during the first two months, now I sometimes lose
readings while underway. I'm guessing the bottom or the transducer
has some growth, as it gets temporarilly better if I hop out in the
shallows and give them both a good scrubbing. I fish mostly for fluke
(bottom fish), and I don't really use the fish "finding" capabilities.

FishFan
James W. Sloan

The Eagle units are actually older model Lowrance ones with a new brand on
them. I had one that was pretty poor (although it did have the worst type of
transudcer possible - shoot thru the hull), I had another that was as good
as you could ever ask for, especially given the price. Remember, the display
is just a, more or less, dumb box. The real care should be taken in
selecting and installing the transducer.

"M.E." wrote in message
I went out and managed to get a good price on the Eagle FishEasy 2... what
are the opinions on that?

Thanks,
Mike

"M.E." wrote in message
I'm looking at purchasing a fishfinder for my 17' Fiberglass boat... I

have
looked at the Garmin 160 and the Hummingbird 300TX but I would like to

get
some opinions...

Any recommendations? The main features I am looking for a

Accuracy
Depth
Fish
Waterproof
and preferably speed sensor...
I'm not looking to break the bank.

Any input would be great!

Thanks,

Cal

The Hummingbird 100SX is inexpensive, easy to use, reliable, and a great size
for a small boat.

Cal