FishFan

Default Fishfinder Opinions?

"M.E." wrote in message ...
I'm looking at purchasing a fishfinder for my 17' Fiberglass boat... I have
looked at the Garmin 160 and the Hummingbird 300TX but I would like to get
some opinions...

Any recommendations? The main features I am looking for a

Accuracy
Depth
Fish
Waterproof
and preferably speed sensor...
I'm not looking to break the bank.

Any input would be great!

Thanks,

The Garmin 160 usually is on sale in a "package" deal that throws in
the speed sensor for free - Look around. I like mine, for the most
part. Just put it on in May and all went well with installtion and
set-up. It's accurate on the shallow side. I can't tell on the deep
end. I haven't had any problems with the head, but the transom mounted
transducer flips up on its own too easilly. Every once and a while I
lose readings and have to lean over the transom and push it back down.
Can't do nothing about that until I haul the boat. Also, although it
didn't happen during the first two months, now I sometimes lose
readings while underway. I'm guessing the bottom or the transducer
has some growth, as it gets temporarilly better if I hop out in the
shallows and give them both a good scrubbing. I fish mostly for fluke
(bottom fish), and I don't really use the fish "finding" capabilities.

FishFan