Default New theory for mystery barrel

Looking at the drawings of the sailboat in question, it looks like it may
have a swing keel.
I cropped and enlarged the bottom section of the drawing he

http://www.eisboch.com/keel.jpg

I read up on swing keels on large yachts and they typically are retracted
with either cables or hydraulics.
The barrel appears to be located right over the aft section of the swing
keel (if that's what it is) and the "pipes" that appear to go from the
bottom of the barrel into the yacht interior might be cable guides.

So, maybe it houses a winch for retracting the keel?

I have not received a reply yet from the broker company.

The original picture of the deck "barrel" is he

http://www.eisboch.com/barrel.jpg

Eisboch

"Eisboch" wrote in message

Looking at the drawings of the sailboat in question, it looks like it may
have a swing keel.
I cropped and enlarged the bottom section of the drawing he

http://www.eisboch.com/keel.jpg

I read up on swing keels on large yachts and they typically are retracted
with either cables or hydraulics.
The barrel appears to be located right over the aft section of the swing
keel (if that's what it is) and the "pipes" that appear to go from the
bottom of the barrel into the yacht interior might be cable guides.

So, maybe it houses a winch for retracting the keel?

I have not received a reply yet from the broker company.

The original picture of the deck "barrel" is he

http://www.eisboch.com/barrel.jpg

Eisboch

Additional thought .... it also may be a hydraulic system and the barrel is
the oil reservoir.

Eisboch

Short Wave Sportfishing wrote:
On Sat, 11 Nov 2006 18:50:02 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

It could also be a Bat signal.

It's situated such that the Bat Signal could be reflected on the
mainsail bringing Batman in the Bat Boat to the Bat Rescue.

possibly a stylish bat live-well to match the decor of the boat?

"Eisboch" wrote in message

[...]

Although your idea makes a tad more sense.

Y'all are gonna feel bad when you find out it's for water. And I'm gonna
laugh.

wrote:

It's situated such that the Bat Signal could be reflected on the
mainsail bringing Batman in the Bat Boat to the Bat Rescue.

Bat idea...

This look like a Shpountz by Bombigher. You are probably right in that there
is a winch in the mock barrel on deck. That would fit the whimsy of
Bomgigher's designs. What is the construction of the boat in question?

http://www.classic-yacht-design.com/...-40/38-40.html

Steve P.

"Eisboch" wrote in message

Looking at the drawings of the sailboat in question, it looks like it may
have a swing keel.
I cropped and enlarged the bottom section of the drawing he

http://www.eisboch.com/keel.jpg

I read up on swing keels on large yachts and they typically are retracted
with either cables or hydraulics.
The barrel appears to be located right over the aft section of the swing
keel (if that's what it is) and the "pipes" that appear to go from the
bottom of the barrel into the yacht interior might be cable guides.

So, maybe it houses a winch for retracting the keel?

I have not received a reply yet from the broker company.

The original picture of the deck "barrel" is he

http://www.eisboch.com/barrel.jpg

Eisboch

DSK DSK is offline

"Eisboch" wrote
Looking at the drawings of the sailboat in question, it looks like it may
have a swing keel.
I cropped and enlarged the bottom section of the drawing he

http://www.eisboch.com/keel.jpg

yep

I read up on swing keels on large yachts and they typically are retracted
with either cables or hydraulics.
The barrel appears to be located right over the aft section of the swing
keel (if that's what it is) and the "pipes" that appear to go from the
bottom of the barrel into the yacht interior might be cable guides.

So, maybe it houses a winch for retracting the keel?

That could well be it. From the photo, it looks like the
barrel is just tied down to a cradle, but that could be just
for effect.

Steve P wrote:
This look like a Shpountz by Bombigher. You are probably right in that there
is a winch in the mock barrel on deck. That would fit the whimsy of
Bomgigher's designs.

He certainly did a LOT of work on pure aesthetics (and
expects his builders to, also). But his boats are very
carefully designed & engineered. Bombigher put a huge amount
of work into his designs.

What is the construction of the boat in question?

http://www.classic-yacht-design.com/...-40/38-40.html

I always enjoyed reading about & looking at pictures of his
designs, but they're just too abstract for me. Gorgeous, but
they're modelled after commercial & naval craft and finished
like gold-platers. Should be kept hermetically sealed
under a glass dome!

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

"Steve P" wrote in message

This look like a Shpountz by Bombigher. You are probably right in that
there is a winch in the mock barrel on deck. That would fit the whimsy of
Bomgigher's designs. What is the construction of the boat in question?

http://www.classic-yacht-design.com/...-40/38-40.html

Steve P.

Not sure by what you mean by construction, but it is, indeed, a Shpountz
38/40 according to the original poster who asked what the barrel is for.
Several of us have been posing guesses as to the barrel's purpose.

Eisboch

Steve P wrote:
Construction?... how is she built? I ask because if I recall corectly
Bombigher would sometimes specify scantlings that I would consider too
light. For example 3/4" plywood lapstake on a 40'ish footer.

No its wood composite but he used a wood strip method with a minimum 1.5
inches of wood in multiple layers and several layers of fiberglassing over it.
He also uses some impact compartments just in case (waterproof sections that
can flood and stil not sink the boat, I may have the wrong name here). I was
very curious because I really like his designs and may one day want to build
one but I wasn't sure about safety and reliabilty, so I asked the guy that
currently sells the designs. He sent me a letter from some people that
sailed on one of these completing a circumnavigation and having hit some
fairly rough weather without any problems. I was impressed. According to
them, even in high winds and bad weather the boat didn't heel much, they had
no knockdowns and it went much faster than they thought it would. They also
stated that in the cockpit, they never got wet unless it was raining and they
couldn't get the side of the deck to the waterline no matter how hard they
pushed.

Herve Coutand, the designer that now supports Bombighers designs, has alot of
confidence in these boats. They aren't as fast as a sleek sloop and dont
point as high but are far more comfortable and very strong.

Sorry for the long rant but I have been asking about the Bombigher boats on
here and everyone seems to think that they are desgined poorly and are not
safe. I didn't want to just take hearsay so I asked the source and honestly
I think they getting sold short. I have heard a lot of things like "they are
poorly built" and "they are impossible to handle with a small crew" but this
just doesn't seem to be the case. If a middle aged couple can comfotably do
a two year circumnavigation in one of these designs, then I think have a hard
time thinking a crew of several proffesionals is required. Also, out of
about 230 completed boats out there, not one of these designs has sunk. I
realize there are other considerations but I really think that people are
looking at the Bombigher designs with a biased eye.

End Rant.

What is the Barrel for??? scbafreak General 53 November 11th 06 10:11 PM
Bottom of the Barrel Scotty ASA 19 November 11th 05 01:47 AM
Dean stands up to Anti-Christian bigots -rick- General 5 January 12th 04 03:54 PM
Barrel rolling a 737 on delivery JaxAshby ASA 8 August 30th 03 08:41 AM
theory of sailing, who can help with my site? Pim General 5 July 27th 03 06:42 PM