Default What is the Barrel for???

I have been looking at pictures of classic style sailing boat and keep seeing
this barrel in the middle of the deck on them. It's not on all of them but
it seems to be recurring. What is it for? I have never seen it in person but
here is a picture.

http://www.theyachtmarket.com/viewla...&imageid=49536

Does anybody know. It must have a purpose.

Does anybody know. It must have a purpose.

What, you've never heard the one about "your turn in the barrel"?

What, you've never heard the one about "your turn in the barrel"?

Yeah but the barrel is turned the wrong way. and I didn't see any holse in
it.

On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 21:26:58 GMT, "scbafreak via BoatKB.com" u25927@uwe
wrote:

What, you've never heard the one about "your turn in the barrel"?

Yeah but the barrel is turned the wrong way. and I didn't see any holse in
it.

In the old days, of the great sailing ships, water was kept on deck in a
cask for sailors. It was rationed, and was therefore kept under guard.

Perhaps it's a water cask.

In the old days, of the great sailing ships, water was kept on deck in a
cask for sailors. It was rationed, and was therefore kept under guard.

Perhaps it's a water cask.

I just got some drawings from a designer that happens to have one of these
barrels. The drawins aren't actual build drawings just something to look at
and help mull over a decision. The barrel seems to be a propane tank but I
am not entirely sure.

scbafreak wrote:
I have been looking at pictures of classic style sailing boat and keep seeing
this barrel in the middle of the deck on them. It's not on all of them but
it seems to be recurring. What is it for? I have never seen it in person but
here is a picture.

http://www.theyachtmarket.com/viewla...&imageid=49536

Does anybody know. It must have a purpose.

Don't know what it is, either, but here are some significant clues.

First, it is lashed down on chocks; leading to a logical conclusion
that it must be regularly removed for some purpose or may just simply
need to be quickly removable. My first thought was a lift raft, but
additional observations dispel that theory.

Second, there is a fitting similar to a snatchblock protruding from a
bung on the upper side of the barrel. It is tempting to visualize a
length of cable stowed in the barrel with the snatchblock-type fitting
swaged to the end.

The open bung, and the generally decent condition of the varnished
exterior, suggest that if the barrel is removed it is not set afloat-
at least not for long periods.

Third, there appears to be round "inspection" access on the end of the
barrel to starboard in the photo.

Do you have photos of the same sort of barrel on other vessels?
Additional viewings might provide more clues.

scbafreak via BoatKB.com wrote:
In the old days, of the great sailing ships, water was kept on deck in a
cask for sailors. It was rationed, and was therefore kept under guard.

Perhaps it's a water cask.

I just got some drawings from a designer that happens to have one of these
barrels. The drawins aren't actual build drawings just something to look at
and help mull over a decision. The barrel seems to be a propane tank but I
am not entirely sure.

In my opinion, that is nowhere close to ABYC compliant for a propane
tank. Also, it's way too big. Assuming propane would only be used for
the galley stove on that sailboat, that would be about a year's supply.

In my opinion, that is nowhere close to ABYC compliant for a propane
tank. Also, it's way too big. Assuming propane would only be used for
the galley stove on that sailboat, that would be about a year's supply.

Yes but if a standard sized propane tank sits inside of it with all of the
fittings would that be more likely or am I swimming up the wrong stream here?

scbafreak via BoatKB.com wrote:
In my opinion, that is nowhere close to ABYC compliant for a propane
tank. Also, it's way too big. Assuming propane would only be used for
the galley stove on that sailboat, that would be about a year's supply.

Yes but if a standard sized propane tank sits inside of it with all of the
fittings would that be more likely or am I swimming up the wrong stream here?

To meet ABYC standards the cover needs to be able to "blow off" should
the propane cylinder explode. Maybe the ends of the barrell blow out,
but I think the cover has to blow vertically.

Also, the lashings suggest that the barrel is only temporarily in
place. It would be dumb, I think, to clutter up the workspace on the
deck with anything as pedestrian as an enormous propane locker. And a
propane locker would be affixed more permanently where ever it might be
appropriately located.

Bottom of the Barrel Scotty ASA 19 November 11th 05 01:47 AM
Oil reaches record $60 a barrel [email protected] General 216 June 29th 05 10:56 PM
ON topic: More fun than a barrel of smirking chimps jim-- General 26 May 14th 04 02:39 AM
Quadrajet 4 barrel Jim and Becky General 5 November 11th 03 12:43 AM
Barrel rolling a 737 on delivery JaxAshby ASA 8 August 30th 03 08:41 AM