posted to rec.boats.paddle

Default Another Beginner seeking advice...

My budget is pretty low. I have to keep it under $500 for a
recreational kayak, paddle, and life vest. I would love to hear some
recommendations. I live in northern indiana so I'm not planning on any
white water.

I've only been able to rent kayaks and finding them to buy has been
very difficult in my area, especially used kayaks.

The only thing I've been able to find in my range is a Otter Super
Sport at Dick's Sporting Goods. Is this a waste of my money?

If anyone knows a good place to start looking in my area I would
greatly appreciate it.

Thank You,

Ryan Grayson
ryangrayson (at) gmail (dot) com

posted to rec.boats.paddle

Ryan,

Looking for a cheap rec boat to start in, just get what you can afford,
although I would look for used personally, often times someone will throw in
the PFD and paddle. Rec'rs are all wide, stable, and pretty much handle the
same, so no need to be too picky. Dick's, Gander Mt., look for sales if you
need to buy new...OR oufitters that rent boats will often sell off the fleet
at the end of each season, you may get something more in the line of a
touring boat for the same price.

wrote in message
oups.com...
My budget is pretty low. I have to keep it under $500 for a
recreational kayak, paddle, and life vest. I would love to hear some
recommendations. I live in northern indiana so I'm not planning on any
white water.

I've only been able to rent kayaks and finding them to buy has been
very difficult in my area, especially used kayaks.

The only thing I've been able to find in my range is a Otter Super
Sport at Dick's Sporting Goods. Is this a waste of my money?

If anyone knows a good place to start looking in my area I would
greatly appreciate it.

Thank You,

Ryan Grayson
ryangrayson (at) gmail (dot) com

posted to rec.boats.paddle

On 6 Oct 2006 10:29:58 -0700, wrote:

My budget is pretty low. I have to keep it under $500 for a
recreational kayak, paddle, and life vest. I would love to hear some
recommendations. I live in northern indiana so I'm not planning on any
white water.

I've only been able to rent kayaks and finding them to buy has been
very difficult in my area, especially used kayaks.

The only thing I've been able to find in my range is a Otter Super
Sport at Dick's Sporting Goods. Is this a waste of my money?

I've never heard of an Otter Super Sport and can't find any on
Googling, but I have a regular Otter and it's great. I've had it
since the late 80's some time. I don't take good care of my stuff and
it's still in fine shape, with just some scratches showing. They're
cheap. They're sturdy. They're pretty comfortable.

Now I'd not recommend them for white water. I believe that mine
claimed to be good for up through Class II water, but I prefer not to
do Class II any more, so I have no idea.

I know I've scraped over shallow rocks with it, dragged it to and from
my vehicle over pebbles, turned it over and used it to sit on (ends
only, center is too mushy from outside) when overnighting. I can get
camping stuff for at least 3 days / nights in / on it.

If you have a long bed truck, it'll fit right in there. Maybe have to
be on a diagonal, but it'll fit.

Ask around at places that have kayaks (other than Dick's, unless yours
is an exception and the sales force there is both knowledgeable and
helpful). Try to find kayak or canoe clubs in the area. Put up
requests on any bulleting boards at local colleges and universities
and grocery stores and read the stuff that's already up on them. Talk
to a lot of people locally. You might luck out the way one woman did
when I moved and had to get rid of a 17 foot hand made cedar canoe. I
walked into one of my bosses' offices and asked if he wanted it or
knew anyone who did, as he lived almost on the St. Croix river. He
knew someone. I got rid of the canoe, she got a freebie.

The Otter is a great little boat for any kind of recreational
paddling. Fun. I think mine cost only $225 and I don't believe the
price has gone out of sight in the intervening years. Lots of initial
stability, pretty good secondary stability. Dunno how it rolls.
Possibly like a hippo, as it's a bit wide, but in flat water, if
you've got to roll, well........
--

r.bc: vixen
Speaker to squirrels, willow watcher, etc..

http://www.visi.com/~cyli

posted to rec.boats.paddle

Used rentals are no bargain in this area. Outfitters sell of 10 year
old canoes and kayaks for what they paid for them, ie book value. They
tent to be pretty beat up. Renters don';t take care of them and
employees toss the kayaks around like firewood.

Everybody wants a canoe or kayak but few actually use them. There are
thousands and thousands of these boats lying around on people's docks,
in their back yards, or strung up in their garages. They seldom
advertise them for sale. I've seen some good buys on the bulletin board
at the local supermarket - "Canoe 17 foot ABS used twice. Paid $1200
asking $800" and even "Two kayaks with paddles, $100 each". But the
trick is to convince one of the people to sell you one of these
thousands of neglected kayaks. You can't wait for them to advertise one
for sale. I once placed and ad in the local newspaper "Canoe wanted,
any condition, will pay up to $200" and bought one of the canoes
offered. I used it for a few years and sold it for what I paid for it.
I'd recommend placing an ad in the newspaper to see if you can entice
someone to sell you a neglected boat.

posted to rec.boats.paddle

Thanks for your advice. I actually asked one of the rental places if
they sold their boats and they said they didn't have any. I will call
around though. I've never been on Sugar Creek. I just got into it
recently. I've been on Mississinewa River, Eel River, and through the
Chain o' lakes state park. I will definitely check out Sugar Creek
whenever I get my kayak.

Thanks Again,
Ryan

I've only been able to rent kayaks and finding them to buy has been
very difficult in my area, especially used kayaks.

Check with the places that rent and see if they will sell you a used
one (or 2, 3 or 4!) That's the way I got into kayaking in 1993. I was
planning a float trip and wanted to rent kayaks, but beforehand a buddy
of mine and I went out and rented a couple recreational kayaks to see
how kayaking was, and after the early morning trip (and falling in love
with kayaks!) we asked the guy at the rental place if they sold their
used kayaks. He told us "Everything you see around this place is for
sale unless it's nailed down, and for the right price we'll unnail it!"
So we bought 4 used Kiwi kayaks /w/ paddles too! Had to buy PFDs at a
local boating store, and the rest as they say is history!

I noticed you said you are in northern Indiana. Ever run Sugar Creek? I
have! Pretty little fla****er creek too! :-)

John Kuthe...

posted to rec.boats.paddle

Thanks for checking that out for me. I will keep checking the site.
I'm giving myself until March or April to find something. Maybe a good
deal will turn up.

Thanks again,

Ryan

seldom_seen wrote:
Check the classifieds on www.paddling.net, and keep checking them-
you'll find something! Right now there's a Dagger "Cypress" with
paddle and PFD listed for $500.

On 6 Oct 2006 10:29:58 -0700, wrote:

My budget is pretty low. I have to keep it under $500 for a
recreational kayak, paddle, and life vest. I would love to hear some
recommendations. I live in northern indiana so I'm not planning on any
white water.

I've only been able to rent kayaks and finding them to buy has been
very difficult in my area, especially used kayaks.

The only thing I've been able to find in my range is a Otter Super
Sport at Dick's Sporting Goods. Is this a waste of my money?

If anyone knows a good place to start looking in my area I would
greatly appreciate it.

Thank You,

Ryan Grayson
ryangrayson (at) gmail (dot) com

posted to rec.boats.paddle

Wm Watt wrote:
[...]

I recommend taking it one step further if you're bold enough and that's
to do what I did about 8 years ago when I was looking for an
inexpensive canoe, I walked around the neighborhood
and took inventory (in my head) of all the canoes just sitting in
peoples yards, carports, etc. I later started knocking on the doors of
those who I felt had not used their canoe in ages (if at all) and on my
third try I had me an dented up 17' Grumman for $100. I let them set
the price with the old "well how much to do want for it" question. I
was going to resell it later, but decided to just keep it chained up at
a local lake where it's always there ready to go.
It looks old and beat up but it floats and gets us out fishing when the
whim arises and we don't have to bother hauling it around.