Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Radu Tenenbaum

Default Beginner needs rec kayak advice

Hi all,

I live on a five mile long lake which also has extended back water areas.
I've never kayaked before, but it looks like it would be fun. I'm 50yrs
old, 6 feet, 180lbs and am only moderately fit. I'd like a kayak that has
touring qualities for when I want to cruise up and down the lake, but can
also go into the backwaters where I can get close to plants and water fowl.
Not interested in fishing, but I'd like to bring a camera along at times.

I've done some reasearch and I've narrowed my interest in three boats:
Perception Sonoma 12
Perception Acadia 12.5
Wilderness Systems Pungo 120

I'd like any comments on the comparative merits, particularly between the
Sonoma and the Pungo.

Also, what is the advantage of the smaller cockpit of the Acadia, and is
that smaller cockpit still easy to get in and out of, and would it give me
easy access to a camera bag?

I will have opportunity to try the Acadia and the Pungo at a local dealer's
paddle day next weekend, but the Sonoma is not available for trial unless I
want to wait two more weeks until REI has their trial day.

Thanks,

Radu