posted to rec.boats.paddle
[email protected] johnkuthe@gmail.com is offline

Default Another Beginner seeking advice...

wrote:
I've only been able to rent kayaks and finding them to buy has been
very difficult in my area, especially used kayaks.

Check with the places that rent and see if they will sell you a used
one (or 2, 3 or 4!) That's the way I got into kayaking in 1993. I was
planning a float trip and wanted to rent kayaks, but beforehand a buddy
of mine and I went out and rented a couple recreational kayaks to see
how kayaking was, and after the early morning trip (and falling in love
with kayaks!) we asked the guy at the rental place if they sold their
used kayaks. He told us "Everything you see around this place is for
sale unless it's nailed down, and for the right price we'll unnail it!"
So we bought 4 used Kiwi kayaks /w/ paddles too! Had to buy PFDs at a
local boating store, and the rest as they say is history!

I noticed you said you are in northern Indiana. Ever run Sugar Creek? I
have! Pretty little fla****er creek too! :-)

John Kuthe...