Default Fogging Through Air Intake Silencer?

I am supposed to spray fogging oil through the air intake of my 1995
Mercury 115hp Outboard (4 cylinders) as a part of the process of
winterizing the outboard motor. This outboard has an air intake
silencer covering the air intake. I am wondering how I can spray the
fogging oil to the air intake through the silencer.

My questions a

- The air silencer has 10 square holes (around 1.5-sq-in each)
at the back pointing at the rear of the outboard. Are they
the air inlets of the silencer? I have a copy of the "Mercury /
Mariner Outboards 1990-00 Repair Manual" from SELOC.
That's how I find out that the device is a silencer. But the
book doesn't say whether those square holes are air inlets
or not. I am guessing that they are air inlets because I
cannot find any other inlets in the silencer.

- Can I simply spray fogging oil through those 10 square holes
in the air silencer? I am trying not to remove the silencer if
possible.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Jay Chan

My 2000 version of that motor (2 stroke) has 4 plastic round plugs in the
middle of the silencer that can be removed which provides better access to
the carbs. I plan on spraying through them.

Shortwave Sportfishing wrote in article
On 1 Oct 2006 15:11:11 -0700, "
wrote:

[...]

IN general, you need to remove the silencer - it's not a difficult job
and spray directly into the carbs.

"TomC" wrote in message

My 2000 version of that motor (2 stroke) has 4 plastic round plugs in the
middle of the silencer that can be removed which provides better access to
the carbs. I plan on spraying through them.

The 115 Merc on my former Dauntless (now my son-in-laws') had the same
thing. Pop the plugs, fog, and reinsert the plugs. Mine was a 2001.

Eisboch

Eisboch wrote in article

"TomC" wrote in message

My 2000 version of that motor (2 stroke) has 4 plastic round plugs in

the
middle of the silencer that can be removed which provides better access

the carbs. I plan on spraying through them.

The 115 Merc on my former Dauntless (now my son-in-laws') had the same
thing. Pop the plugs, fog, and reinsert the plugs. Mine was a 2001.

Eisboch

This is my first season with my boat (2000 Sea Ray 180) and I bought the
same Seloc manual. While it is full of information, it's not very motor
specific; so, there is a certain amount of reasonable deduction (guessing)
that has to be done. But, it's a learning experience and part of the fun
;-)
TomC

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the confirmation that I indeed need to remove the air
silencer. This should not be a big deal to remove the silencer. But I
was just trying to cut down one step, and I tended to prefer doing less
than doing more when I need to work on something that I am not totally
familiar with. OK, I will have to remove it.

Jay Chan

wrote:

[...]

While you have the "flame protector" off, clean it with carb cleaner.
You will see a lot of dirt will build up between the metal slats.

TomC wrote:
Eisboch wrote in article

"TomC" wrote in message

My 2000 version of that motor (2 stroke) has 4 plastic round plugs in

the
middle of the silencer that can be removed which provides better access

the carbs. I plan on spraying through them.

The 115 Merc on my former Dauntless (now my son-in-laws') had the same
thing. Pop the plugs, fog, and reinsert the plugs. Mine was a 2001.

Eisboch

This is my first season with my boat (2000 Sea Ray 180) and I bought the
same Seloc manual. While it is full of information, it's not very motor
specific; so, there is a certain amount of reasonable deduction (guessing)
that has to be done. But, it's a learning experience and part of the fun
;-)
TomC

Yes, I have exactly the same feeling. I end up ordering a copy of the
manual (not sure the name of the manual off the top of my head) from
Mercury Marine through internet. Its price is high considering the
fact that it doesn't have that many pages. It has enough info related
to winterizing the lower unit and is specific to the model of outboard
that I have. This surely is reassuring.

Jay Chan

wrote in article
. com...
TomC wrote:
Eisboch wrote in article

"TomC" wrote in message

[...]

I believe the price was around $80 for the Mercury Marine manual. I was
trying to find a copy at a local library to see if it was worth the money
but had no luck. I ran across the Seloc manual for something under $30 and
figured that if nothing else it would be a could primer for outboard
motors. So, let me know if you think the factory manual is worth the bucks.
TIA
TomC

TomC wrote:
wrote in article
. com...
TomC wrote:
Eisboch wrote in article

"TomC" wrote in message

[...]

No, I don't mean their technical manual. What I have is something more
oriented for a boat-owner instead of a boat mechanic (that's why it has
winterizing procedure). I don't remember the price; but I believe it
was something like $25.

Sorry for disappointing you.

Jay Chan

Drain Plug at Intake Mainfold on 2005 Volvo Penta 4.3? Scott_SS General 1 October 11th 05 03:36 AM
Winterize, Frist time Fogging, need help specifics.... Matt General 12 November 12th 04 12:19 AM
Water in all cylinders Paul General 29 October 2nd 04 11:59 AM
Intake Manifold Question friscuba General 2 January 13th 04 12:35 AM
Fogging a 5.0L MPI Mark K General 6 December 3rd 03 10:39 PM