Reginald P. Smithers III Reginald P. Smithers III is offline

Default Fogging Through Air Intake Silencer?

wrote:
Sound like yours is an improved version. Mine doesn't have those plugs
for getting access to the carbs. No big problem, I just have to remove
the number of screws that mount the silencer onto the motor.

Jay Chan

TomC wrote:
My 2000 version of that motor (2 stroke) has 4 plastic round plugs in the
middle of the silencer that can be removed which provides better access to
the carbs. I plan on spraying through them.

Shortwave Sportfishing wrote in article
On 1 Oct 2006 15:11:11 -0700, "
wrote:

I am supposed to spray fogging oil through the air intake of my 1995
Mercury 115hp Outboard (4 cylinders) as a part of the process of
winterizing the outboard motor. This outboard has an air intake
silencer covering the air intake. I am wondering how I can spray the
fogging oil to the air intake through the silencer.

My questions a

- The air silencer has 10 square holes (around 1.5-sq-in each)
at the back pointing at the rear of the outboard. Are they
the air inlets of the silencer? I have a copy of the "Mercury /
Mariner Outboards 1990-00 Repair Manual" from SELOC.
That's how I find out that the device is a silencer. But the
book doesn't say whether those square holes are air inlets
or not. I am guessing that they are air inlets because I
cannot find any other inlets in the silencer.

- Can I simply spray fogging oil through those 10 square holes
in the air silencer? I am trying not to remove the silencer if
possible.

Thanks in advance for any info.
IN general, you need to remove the silencer - it's not a difficult job
and spray directly into the carbs.

While you have the "flame protector" off, clean it with carb cleaner.
You will see a lot of dirt will build up between the metal slats.