[email protected] jaykchan@hotmail.com is offline

Default Fogging Through Air Intake Silencer?

Shortwave Sportfishing wrote:
On 1 Oct 2006 15:11:11 -0700, "
wrote:

I am supposed to spray fogging oil through the air intake of my 1995
Mercury 115hp Outboard (4 cylinders) as a part of the process of
winterizing the outboard motor. This outboard has an air intake
silencer covering the air intake. I am wondering how I can spray the
fogging oil to the air intake through the silencer.

My questions a

- The air silencer has 10 square holes (around 1.5-sq-in each)
at the back pointing at the rear of the outboard. Are they
the air inlets of the silencer? I have a copy of the "Mercury /
Mariner Outboards 1990-00 Repair Manual" from SELOC.
That's how I find out that the device is a silencer. But the
book doesn't say whether those square holes are air inlets
or not. I am guessing that they are air inlets because I
cannot find any other inlets in the silencer.

- Can I simply spray fogging oil through those 10 square holes
in the air silencer? I am trying not to remove the silencer if
possible.

Thanks in advance for any info.

IN general, you need to remove the silencer - it's not a difficult job
and spray directly into the carbs.

Thanks for the confirmation that I indeed need to remove the air
silencer. This should not be a big deal to remove the silencer. But I
was just trying to cut down one step, and I tended to prefer doing less
than doing more when I need to work on something that I am not totally
familiar with. OK, I will have to remove it.

Jay Chan