Default New Nikon 'Consumer' D-SLR

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 10:17:59 -0400, Harry Krause
wrote:

Nikon will soon announce a new consumer digital SLR with a 10.2mp
sensor, probably an addition to the D70-S line with a couple of new
features.

I've been thinking about getting something like a D50 or D70 even
though they violate my "no pricey cameras on boats" rule. Any ideas
on how they compare, or whether or not this new D70-S model is worth
waiting for?

wrote:

Nikon will soon announce a new consumer digital SLR with a 10.2mp
sensor, probably an addition to the D70-S line with a couple of new
features.

I've been thinking about getting something like a D50 or D70 even
though they violate my "no pricey cameras on boats" rule. Any ideas
on how they compare, or whether or not this new D70-S model is worth
waiting for?

Wayne,

All I have to say is DON'T DO IT. JUST SAY NO!

I purchased a Canon Sure Shot for my son and daughter away at school,
then I moved up to a D50 for my wife's birthday. Of course, we started
off slowly with the two standard lens combo pack, a 18-55mm zoom and a
55-200mm zoom, consumer grade lens. Then we needed to have the 18-200mm
zoom, so we would have a one lens that would work 90% of the time.
Since this is on backorder till hell freezes over, I ordered the
70-200mm F2.8 professional lens for those time when I really needed a
"fast" lens and the 50mm F1.8 for low light when I really didn't want to
use a flash, and don't get me started on the SB800 Speedlight, Tripod
and Monopod. Now, I am trying to justify a Nikon D200 for myself, so my
wife won't have to share her D50.

Whatever you do, don't get started, I am sure you are saying, I know I
can control myself, but that is what they all said. Trust me on this,
don't get started. The D50 and the D70's are nothing more than "Gateway
Cameras".

--
Reggie

That's my story and I am sticking to it!

wrote:

[...]

You will absolutely love the D200, and be kicking yourself in the butt for
not getting it in the first place!

I wish I'd known you were going to get the 70-200mm VR lens. I like mine,
but it's not something I'd want to carry on a cruise ship, or even on the
PocoLoco. It *is* a great lens, but I'm thinking that the 18-200mm might be
more practical.

You *need* the SB800. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****

John

wrote:

[...]

If I end up getting a D200, I will be glad MY WIFE has the D50, I will
enjoy MY D200 and I won't have to share. grin.

The SB800 and the 50MM F1.8 came in the mail today from B&H, so I have a
new learning curve with the SB800.

On a serious note, the camera really has been a reason for both my wife
and I to get out and enjoy walking along the river, in the mountains or
the local park. When I am looking to frame a photo, I see things I
missed on my walks before. It really is a healthy hobby.

But that 70-200 is one hell of monster lens, the reason I did buy it is
if I get a teleconverter for bird watching you need the F2.8 because you
lose two fstops with the teleconverter.

--
Reggie

That's my story and I am sticking to it!

wrote:

[...]

The SB800 couples so well with either the D70 or D200 (and D50, I'm sure)
that the learning curve isn't too steep, unless you're going to do
something exotic.
***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****

John

RG RG is offline

wrote:

[...]

I just bought an 18-200 VR on Friday. Thought I'd never get my hands on
one. Took some shots this weekend, and so far, I'm pretty impressed with
the sharpness. Haven't had a real good opportunity to take advantage of the
VR yet. I'll post a couple of shots taken with the new glass "over there".

Russ

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 21:01:52 GMT, "RG" wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

Thanks Russ. Let us know when you do. We're taking a cruise next October,
and I think I may want one of those badly. I may have to put some old
lenses under my wife's tires and tell her I need all new ones when she runs
over them!
***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****

John
RG RG is offline

Thanks Russ. Let us know when you do. We're taking a cruise next October,
and I think I may want one of those badly. I may have to put some old
lenses under my wife's tires and tell her I need all new ones when she
runs
over them!
--

There's a few shots over there now, but nothing that takes advantage of the
VR technology. Probably the most amazing thing this lens brings to the

JohnH wrote:

Thanks Russ. Let us know when you do. We're taking a cruise next October,
and I think I may want one of those badly. I may have to put some old
lenses under my wife's tires and tell her I need all new ones when she runs
over them!
***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****

John

Your wife has tires?

That's pretty unusual, but probably cheaper than keeping the average
woman in shoes.

:-)

RG wrote:

I just bought an 18-200 VR on Friday. Thought I'd never get my hands on
one. Took some shots this weekend, and so far, I'm pretty impressed with
the sharpness. Haven't had a real good opportunity to take advantage of the
VR yet. I'll post a couple of shots taken with the new glass "over there".

Russ

They would be well advised to offer a 14-70. Even a 14-55. The 18-70
isn't wide enough for a lot of interior shots aboard a boat (same as
about a 27mm lens on a 35 mm camera) and the 10.5mm images can be
converted to rectilinear with Nikon's Capture software but the results
can be surprising. You have to be thinking about the "isms" in the
correction program the entire time you're using the 10.5

New Nikon 'Consumer' D-SLR JohnH General 0 July 20th 06 03:39 PM
Nikon D70 Body 4 Sail JimH General 0 July 10th 06 01:23 AM
Yikes! Consumer Electronic Rip... Eisboch General 11 January 7th 06 07:19 PM
New consumer information resource [email protected] General 17 June 17th 05 01:11 AM
Nikon Ocean Pro binoculars with compass [email protected] Cruising 0 January 14th 05 01:23 AM