Eisboch

Default Yikes! Consumer Electronic Rip...

DSK

Thanks very much for the description. We are upgrading video
equip't this year, and finding the techie swamp rather dense.

Eisboch wrote:
BTW, I forgot one important item.

Component cables are the only form of consumer video transmission that will
work with the progressive scan output of your DVD player or HD cable
transmission. Composite and S-Video will only support interlaced mode. If
you haven't tried it - progressive scan yields a much smoother image with
less flickering than the older interlaced mode (your old, pre-HD TV set is
interlaced).

Now there's something that nobody else has told me.
Excellent series of posts!

The upgraded video equipment is on our boat: the aft cabin
now sports a swivel-arm mounted 19" LCD, a DVD-R + VHS box,
and a CD/MP3/DVD changer/receiver, and a subwoofer. For
right now, the audio is not fully enabled, partly due to
space constraints. We have 4 pairs of speakers, all of which
need to be rewired as well as switched.... boat work is
never done.

Fair Skies
Doug King

JimH

It is all hype........and all touted by the manufacturers and retailers.

And looking at the differences in prices...........I can understand why.

BTW, I forgot one important item.

Component cables are the only form of consumer video transmission that
will
work with the progressive scan output of your DVD player or HD cable
transmission. Composite and S-Video will only support interlaced mode.
If
you haven't tried it - progressive scan yields a much smoother image with
less flickering than the older interlaced mode (your old, pre-HD TV set
is
interlaced).

Eisboch

I still watch movies on Beta on my 19" black and white TV.....not too much
of a selection of movies at Blockbuster though.

But if I use component cables to connect my Beta to my B&W TV will I have
whiter teeth and a better return on my investments?

Eisboch

" JimH" jimh_osudad@yahooDOT com wrote in message

[...]

Only if your fly-back transformer doesn't bite you - or your selenium
rectifier doesn't blow up.

Eisboch

Wayne.B

On Thu, 5 Jan 2006 21:41:07 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

or your selenium
rectifier doesn't blow up.

There's a smell I hope to never encounter again. :-)

Eisboch

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 5 Jan 2006 21:41:07 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

or your selenium
rectifier doesn't blow up.

There's a smell I hope to never encounter again. :-)

I remember my father tearing the house apart for a week searching for a dead
mouse until the TV finally quit and source of the smell was discovered.

Eisboch

Reggie Smithers

Eisboch,
Are you available for home theater installations?

--
************************************************** ************************
If you would like to make rec.boats an enjoyable place to discuss

"Reggie Smithers" wrote in message

Eisboch,
Are you available for home theater installations?

Funny you should ask. I really got hung up in this for a while and thought
about starting up a part time business. Then reality and sanity clicked in
and I dropped the idea.

Not trying to impress, but when we had one of the houses in Florida I spent
a winter converting an unused, 2 car garage into a kick-ass theater room.
The basic audio/video equipment included high-end speakers from Aerial
Acoustics, an 18" Velodyne servo sub, Yamaha high power 9.1 amp and Hitachi
video projector, projecting onto a 20' x 9' high gain screen. The ceiling
was flat black, thick black rugs, heavy dark wall drapes with matching
cornice boards all around. The room was acoustically "dead" - almost too
much - no echo at all which gave the sound track from movies an imaging
presence that was unbelievable. We ordered and installed some theater
reclining chairs to finish the room up and track lighting with automatic 60
second dimmers.

All told, the stupid room cost almost $50,000.00 to build. We rarely used
it. Fortunately when we sold the house the buyer wanted everything as is,
so I sold it to him and didn't lose anything.

Oh, I also used component video leads. :-)

Eisboch

Eisboch

"Harry Krause" wrote in message

Which DVD player did you get? I've got a couple of cheap SONY progressive
players and one that wasn't that much more, and they all seem to play DVDs
about the same.

The new HDMI is a Sony DVP-NS70H. It's not expensive - I think I paid about
$150 for it. It's supposed to upscale the native resolution of a DVD to
720p and 1080i. Seems to work, but like anything else the rule of
diminishing returns applies.

I just like fooling around with this stuff.

Eisboch

Black Dog

Eisboch wrote:
"Harry Krause" wrote in message

Which DVD player did you get? I've got a couple of cheap SONY progressive
players and one that wasn't that much more, and they all seem to play DVDs
about the same.

The new HDMI is a Sony DVP-NS70H. It's not expensive - I think I paid about
$150 for it. It's supposed to upscale the native resolution of a DVD to
720p and 1080i. Seems to work, but like anything else the rule of
diminishing returns applies.

I just like fooling around with this stuff.

Eisboch

I am going through the conversion to HDTV at the moment. And I do mean
"conversion" in an almost religious sense. Can hardly stand to watch
regular TV now. I almost watched a hockey game just because it was so
amazing to see the ice shavings on the surface of the rink. Cannot take
my eyes off Discovery HD.

The hubby was the one who decided we "needed" an hdtv but I am the
"techie" one who is expected to understand the confusion of hookups.

We got an sweet Hitachi 42" HD plasma before Christmas but cable boy
couldn't come around and give us hi-def TV until Jan.3. In the meantime
I went through our several old DVD players, using s-vidio and componant
video but none of them had the right combination of progressive scan and
fibreoptic audio output. So we bought yet another DVD player(Hitachi, I
think, can't remember but it pretty and has a nice blue light that comes
on when you load the disk) with not only progressive scan but HDMI
output. A three foot HDMI cable came with the player but I traded up for
a 6" cable for $65 which the sales guy told me was $5 over cost.

HDMI blows them all away. I am a convert. And the HDMI carries the
audio signal into the TV which has fibreoptic connection out to the
stereo reciever so it sounds sweet too.

I was going to try to hook the PVR up with HDMI or Firewire instead of
componant video but according to Motorola's manual for my PVR I would
then lose access to the IGuide (the onscreen TV guide that makes setting
up to record stuff so easy the hubby may even learn to do it himself).

Still working on the system but just wanted to add my now slightly
experienced voice to fray - HDMI is worth paying a few bucks for.

Stella
(22' Sirius sailboat under a tarp in the driveway)