Doug Kanter

Default Yikes! Consumer Electronic Rip...

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
I finally got around to looking at the manuals for a TV set and DVD player
we have, and noticed there was a "new" way to hook them up together, with
an "HDMI" cable. The cable is supposed to provide the highest possible
video quality from a DVD to the TV set, and it also carries audio signals.

$100+ for the manufacturer's branded cable, same price for a "Monster"
cable. Unbelievable. The fittings on the cable sort of resemble the flat
ones on a USB cable, but they are not the same.

$100, for what I am sure is a perfectly ordinary cable. I had no idea SONY
had been taken over by the boating industry.

Anyway, I shopped around for a while, and found a no-name supplier who has
the cable for *only* $35. Sheesh. For a 6' cable with two 50-cent ends on
it.

Margins are pretty slim in the video biz. Accessories are the answer. By the
way, Monster Cable is pretty good stuff. They manufacturer them a little
slower. Better solder connections, etc etc....

JimH

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
news

[...]

S-Video is the way to go when connecting the DVD to the TV.

BTW: Monster cables are overrated and overpriced.

Don White

Harry Krause wrote:
JimH wrote:

[...]

I shouldn't bother, but SONY and other top drawer manufacturers disagree
with your opinion that "S-Video" is the way to go. My SONY manuals say
"component" video inputs offer the best video quality for DVD and
digital setop box connections. That's what I am using now, and it is
noticeably better than "S-Video," which is what I used first because the
cable came with the DVD. But the manuals also state the "best" input
interface for an HD TV is HDMI. Several other manufacturers of decent
TVs and DVD players state the exact same thing. Oh, and so does
Crutchfield, from whom I obtained a piece of gear. The exact quote:
"using component video input will result in a better image quality than
S Video."

Frankly, I don't know what your area of expertise is, but it doesn't
seem to be computers or consumer electronics.

'Component' connections have been considered a step above S-Video for at
least the last five years.
Reggie Smithers

I had to look up Component Video Inputs to see what they are .....

They are just RCA plugs.

--
************************************************** ************************
If you would like to make rec.boats an enjoyable place to discuss

Reggie Smithers wrote:
I had to look up Component Video Inputs to see what they are .....

They are just RCA plugs.

here's what Consumer Reports says...

"Component-video inputs split the video signal into three parts: two for
color and one for luminance. This provides slightly better quality than
S-video, most evident in color fidelity. They're often used with DVD
players, high-definition satellite receivers, and cable boxes. What it
looks like: red, green, and blue RCA jacks."

Eisboch

"Reggie Smithers" wrote in message
I had to look up Component Video Inputs to see what they are .....

They are just RCA plugs.

No they are not. Well, yes the plugs are RCA, but the whole transmission
system is different. A basic primer:

Yellow "video" (composite) plug with RCA jacks are nothing more than audio
type wires and connectors. These are the ones that are packaged with every
audio/video device and are of the poorest quality in terms of transmission
of a video signal.

Higher quality video coaxial cable - RCA plugs again, but the wire is of
better quality, the dielectrics used are better, the shielding is better and
the resultant reactive impedance is more consistent. Much better than the
cheap "yellow" audio wires for video.

S-Video - DIN type connector - twisted pair of shielded wires for video
signal transmission - usually differentially inputted - better quality
transmission for video than both above.

Component cables. High quality RCA plugs - usually gold plated, but the
main difference is the video transmission scheme. Simply put, component
cables transmit the Blue, Green and Red components of the video signal
individually and are then recombined in the proper sync and levels at the
TV, monitor or whatever the video display is. By separating each drive
color, losses in the cables are compensated for. Best way to transmit
video.

HDMI - high quality lines for both video and digital audio. Basically, mini
coax versions of the component cables that allow for high bandwidth signals
with low loss or distortion.

Eisboch

JimH

"Eisboch" wrote in message

[...]

You are a good man if you can tell the difference in picture quality when
using component cables vs. S-video.

Add a bad signal from the cable company or sat. TV provider and poof.......

It is all hype........and all touted by the manufacturers and retailers.

And looking at the differences in prices...........I can understand why.

Hurry folks.............lookie see.......Jenuwine gold plating and assembled
only in kosher kitchens during a full moon. Git em while yew can.. ;-)

Eisboch

" JimH" jimh_osudad@yahooDOT com wrote in message

You are a good man if you can tell the difference in picture quality when
using component cables vs. S-video.

Add a bad signal from the cable company or sat. TV provider and
poof.......

It is all hype........and all touted by the manufacturers and retailers.

Heh ... maybe you need better glasses .... naw....

It's just like an audio system - it's only as good as the weakest link. If
you have a super source, component cables and a crappy monitor - it's only
going to look as good as the crappy monitor. If all the gear is capable of
high bandwidth, low distortion, low loss signals but you're watching a
colorized copy of a 1942 John Wayne movie, then, well you get the point.

Technically, component cable transmission of video signals is superior to
S-video. Your actual mileage may vary ....

Eisboch

JimH

"Eisboch" wrote in message

" JimH" jimh_osudad@yahooDOT com wrote in message

You are a good man if you can tell the difference in picture quality when
using component cables vs. S-video.

Add a bad signal from the cable company or sat. TV provider and
poof.......

It is all hype........and all touted by the manufacturers and retailers.

Heh ... maybe you need better glasses .... naw....

It's just like an audio system - it's only as good as the weakest link.
If you have a super source, component cables and a crappy monitor - it's
only going to look as good as the crappy monitor. If all the gear is
capable of high bandwidth, low distortion, low loss signals but you're
watching a colorized copy of a 1942 John Wayne movie, then, well you get
the point.

Yep..........and it looks like we agree. ;-)