Don White

Default Yikes! Consumer Electronic Rip...

Harry Krause wrote:
JimH wrote:

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
news
"Harry Krause" wrote in message

I finally got around to looking at the manuals for a TV set and DVD
player we have, and noticed there was a "new" way to hook them up
together, with an "HDMI" cable. The cable is supposed to provide the
highest possible video quality from a DVD to the TV set, and it also
carries audio signals.

$100+ for the manufacturer's branded cable, same price for a
"Monster" cable. Unbelievable. The fittings on the cable sort of
resemble the flat ones on a USB cable, but they are not the same.

$100, for what I am sure is a perfectly ordinary cable. I had no
idea SONY had been taken over by the boating industry.

Anyway, I shopped around for a while, and found a no-name supplier
who has the cable for *only* $35. Sheesh. For a 6' cable with two
50-cent ends on it.

Margins are pretty slim in the video biz. Accessories are the answer.
By the way, Monster Cable is pretty good stuff. They manufacturer
them a little slower. Better solder connections, etc etc....

S-Video is the way to go when connecting the DVD to the TV.

BTW: Monster cables are overrated and overpriced.

I shouldn't bother, but SONY and other top drawer manufacturers disagree
with your opinion that "S-Video" is the way to go. My SONY manuals say
"component" video inputs offer the best video quality for DVD and
digital setop box connections. That's what I am using now, and it is
noticeably better than "S-Video," which is what I used first because the
cable came with the DVD. But the manuals also state the "best" input
interface for an HD TV is HDMI. Several other manufacturers of decent
TVs and DVD players state the exact same thing. Oh, and so does
Crutchfield, from whom I obtained a piece of gear. The exact quote:
"using component video input will result in a better image quality than
S Video."

Frankly, I don't know what your area of expertise is, but it doesn't
seem to be computers or consumer electronics.

'Component' connections have been considered a step above S-Video for at
least the last five years.