Default New Nikon 'Consumer' D-SLR

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 10:17:59 -0400, Harry Krause
wrote:

Nikon will soon announce a new consumer digital SLR with a 10.2mp
sensor, probably an addition to the D70-S line with a couple of new
features.

I've been thinking about getting something like a D50 or D70 even
though they violate my "no pricey cameras on boats" rule. Any ideas
on how they compare, or whether or not this new D70-S model is worth
waiting for?

wrote:

Nikon will soon announce a new consumer digital SLR with a 10.2mp
sensor, probably an addition to the D70-S line with a couple of new
features.

I've been thinking about getting something like a D50 or D70 even
though they violate my "no pricey cameras on boats" rule. Any ideas
on how they compare, or whether or not this new D70-S model is worth
waiting for?

Wayne,

All I have to say is DON'T DO IT. JUST SAY NO!

I purchased a Canon Sure Shot for my son and daughter away at school,
then I moved up to a D50 for my wife's birthday. Of course, we started
off slowly with the two standard lens combo pack, a 18-55mm zoom and a
55-200mm zoom, consumer grade lens. Then we needed to have the 18-200mm
zoom, so we would have a one lens that would work 90% of the time.
Since this is on backorder till hell freezes over, I ordered the
70-200mm F2.8 professional lens for those time when I really needed a
"fast" lens and the 50mm F1.8 for low light when I really didn't want to
use a flash, and don't get me started on the SB800 Speedlight, Tripod
and Monopod. Now, I am trying to justify a Nikon D200 for myself, so my
wife won't have to share her D50.

Whatever you do, don't get started, I am sure you are saying, I know I
can control myself, but that is what they all said. Trust me on this,
don't get started. The D50 and the D70's are nothing more than "Gateway
Cameras".

--
Reggie

That's my story and I am sticking to it!

wrote:

Nikon will soon announce a new consumer digital SLR with a 10.2mp
sensor, probably an addition to the D70-S line with a couple of new
features.

I've been thinking about getting something like a D50 or D70 even
though they violate my "no pricey cameras on boats" rule. Any ideas
on how they compare, or whether or not this new D70-S model is worth
waiting for?

Details are sketchy, because Nikon is "teasing" its customers. The wait,
though, is not going to be long; the camera is supposed to be introduced
August 20th. The 6.2 mp's and other features of the relatively
inexpensive D50 are more than adequate for any advanced amateur
photographer. The bigger sensor on the new camera isn't going to do much
for you unless you like to make very large enlargements of relatively
small areas of a digital photo.

Harry,
If I am not mistaken, it was either you or that son of bitch JohnH who
started this whole camera discussion in rec.boats. Do you two have any
idea how much you have cost me and how much exercise I have to do
walking the trails looking for that elusive nature photograph?

I snapped a photo of a rare wood nymph and posted it in abpso if you are
interested.

Harry Krause wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Do you have a QR for those 'pods?

I recommend the Manfrotto 3229 tilt head with QR.

If you really have all those lenses, you've got too much money to blow,
since they have excessive overlap. Why would you need a 55-200 zoom
*and* a 70-200 zoom, to pick up an F stop or two?

Harry,
I really have purchased all those lens, I just don't currently own all
those lens. The difference between those lens is in the quality and it
is a drastic difference. I sold the original two combo lens to my
brother in law at the price I paid for them, which was lower than the
best price he could find.

18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor
55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor to my brother in law.

I ordered the 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED-IF AF-S VR DX Zoom-Nikkor still
waiting for it.

http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php...productNr=2159

70-200mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor a really nice professional
quality lens when I wanted some really sharp fast lens and didn't mind
carrying a 3 lb lens.

Handholding a 200 mm
lens in low light?

If you really want to expand your horizons, consider the Tokina 12-24mm.
It'll give you a real 18 mm wide angle.

I absolutely need a wide angle lens, and I will look at the the Tokina,
but I wanted to wait and see the quality of the 18-200 and see if
would do all I wanted with a wide angle lens.

wrote:

[...]

The 18-200 will be a 27-300 on your camera, and it won't be the equal of
the Tokina in wide angle use. Plus, those wide range zooms weigh a ton,
compared to the true wide angles.

The lens I'd like to see for the 1.5 digitals is an F2.5 70 mm prime,
with really nice portrait bokeh. But no one makes one.

Harry,
Since I am so new to all of this, I have to ask the stupid questions and
I know I am going to hate to know the answer, because it is going to
cost me money, but when will I need the 12mm (really 18mm in digital)
that the 18mm (really 27mm in digital)won't suffice.

I just got the 50mm f1.8 prime and it is amazing at the pictures you can
take in low light. It is perfect for parties and traveling when you
don't want to lug the MONSTER lens or they don't allow flash photo.

--
Reggie

That's my story and I am sticking to it!

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 13:26:22 -0400, "Reginald P. Smithers III"
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Your rare wood nymph was quite lovely. I like the way that camera picked up
the hair on her legs. Very sharp. If anyone is wondering what a D50 will
do, those are some good examples.
***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****

John

wrote:

[...]

You will absolutely love the D200, and be kicking yourself in the butt for
not getting it in the first place!

I wish I'd known you were going to get the 70-200mm VR lens. I like mine,
but it's not something I'd want to carry on a cruise ship, or even on the
PocoLoco. It *is* a great lens, but I'm thinking that the 18-200mm might be
more practical.

You *need* the SB800. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****

John

wrote:

[...]

If I end up getting a D200, I will be glad MY WIFE has the D50, I will
enjoy MY D200 and I won't have to share. grin.

The SB800 and the 50MM F1.8 came in the mail today from B&H, so I have a
new learning curve with the SB800.

On a serious note, the camera really has been a reason for both my wife
and I to get out and enjoy walking along the river, in the mountains or
the local park. When I am looking to frame a photo, I see things I
missed on my walks before. It really is a healthy hobby.

But that 70-200 is one hell of monster lens, the reason I did buy it is
if I get a teleconverter for bird watching you need the F2.8 because you
lose two fstops with the teleconverter.

--
Reggie

That's my story and I am sticking to it!

wrote:

[...]

The SB800 couples so well with either the D70 or D200 (and D50, I'm sure)
that the learning curve isn't too steep, unless you're going to do
something exotic.
***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****

John

wrote:

[...]

I'd go with a fast prime tele lens for bird photographs. Odds are,
you're going to use that zoom at its longest FL for that purpose. The
prime would do a better job and be more manageable.

The big lens has two advantages, vibration resistance (VR) which really
works, and the f2.8 lens. It comes with its own mount, so a tripod or
monopod make setup and 'management' quite easy. The nice thing about the
D200 is that there is enough detail to make blow ups quite easy. Check out
some of the bird pictures I've posted 'over there', you'll see what I mean.
***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****

John

New Nikon 'Consumer' D-SLR JohnH General 0 July 20th 06 03:39 PM
Nikon D70 Body 4 Sail JimH General 0 July 10th 06 01:23 AM
Yikes! Consumer Electronic Rip... Eisboch General 11 January 7th 06 07:19 PM
New consumer information resource [email protected] General 17 June 17th 05 01:11 AM
Nikon Ocean Pro binoculars with compass [email protected] Cruising 0 January 14th 05 01:23 AM