Default Mercruiser A-1 gear lube consumption

What's normal for gear lube consumption for the
newer Alpha 1? I have a 2005 Bayliner 175
w/ Mercruiser 3.0L A-1 which has little plastuc
gear lube monitor. Only had it out 2-3 times
this year since winter, and I noticed that the
fluid level is down about 1/2 inch below the
"Add" line, and I'm concerned. Its *never*
gotten that low before! Today we stoped
in the middle of the lake and went swimming,
wading, and what not, and I looked very hard
for the "rainbow", and found nothing. No signs
of a leak anywhere. No smell, no film, all dry,
no rainbow on water. So if the Alpha-1 was
leaking/seeping gear lube, where would it be
going? prop shaft seal, shift lever? I wonder
if its leaking inside the bellows for the drive shaft ?
is there a way to see down in the bellows from
the inside?

I know everyone says that it should use NO
gear lube, I'm just wondering if there is any
acceptable amount of gear lube that a newer
Alpha-1 can consume before being concerned?
I have been running it pretty hard, and longer
periods of WOT, could that make a difference ?

Thanks!

"katekebo" wrote in message
ups.com...
The consumption should be "zero", nothing, unless you have a leak.

Damn, I was afraid of that. So where could the leak be then ??
And if there is a "leak", out of curosity, why doesn't it leak in
the driveway? (gravel pad). As I said, I see no signs anywhere.

Is there a remote chance that there was an air bubble in the line
somewhere from the factory from last June when I bought it, and
it just boke loose somehow?

Has anyone here had experience with a leak in this new of
an Alpha 1 drive, nad what was the actual cause/resolution ?

However..... if you have changed the lubricant recently, it is normal
that few air bubbles will remain in the outdrive after an oil change.
They will "purge" themselves during the first three to five trips, and
consequently the oil level will drop.

If the oil level continues dropping after the first 5 trips after an
oil change, then you have a leak that needs to be fixed

Mr Wizzard wrote:
[...]

There are a number of places where it can leak and not be noticed in
the water. The exhaust and the bellows. There is really no way to get
much of a view into the bellows area. You have to pull the outdrive
and check inside the belows for fluid. And then it's still hard to
tell as the grease from the ujoints and coupler sometimes creates some
oily fluid if it has been heavily lubed. Did you ever have the pump
impeller replaced? Someone may have not used a new o-ring between the
upper and lower unit when they were split. Have you checked the lower
unit for water in the lube? To do this you carefully remove the lower
plug just enough to get a few drops out to see that they are not milky
or contain water.

If it is still covered by a warrenty you can try to get it fixed. If
not then as long as there was not any water getting in the outdrive I'd
be inclined to just check for water a few times a year and live with it
until the end of the season. The pull the outdrive and have it
pressure tested. At our house this is not the time for the boat to be
out of commission :-)

Mr Wizzard wrote:
[...]

Good information, thanks. Boat turned one year old
on June 29th, and I have not had the annual maitenance
done. Only maintaince I've done is change the oil (once)
and had the prop off to do prop shaft maintenance (lube).

I'm starting to suspect engine alignment. Recently noticed
a vibration when in gear at about 1888-1900 RPM just
above idle. Could engine alignment cause/induce undue
forces on somehting to cause the leak ?

I'll call Olympic boat center to see how booked they
are for getting it in to do the annual maintenance, and
check engine alignment (and check for oil leaks). Also
come to find out that engine alignment, and pulling
the outdrive (for engine alignment and maintenance)
is something that Mercruiser says needs to be done
once a year, or 100 hours (which ever comes first).

That could get expensive. I'm conteplating selling this
boat, and going for something else (without an I/O).
Either a SeaDoo 'Sportster' (jet drive), or even some
sort of larger PWC. I'm very mechanically inclined,
but still don't like the notion of annual outdrive pulling,
and engine alignment and all of the other maintenance
associated with the I/O etc. Just a thought....

ps.com...

Mr Wizzard wrote:
[...]

Mr Wizzard wrote:
[...]

If you look here http://tinyurl.com/ryp3d you'll see an o-ring as part #4.
My outdrive began leaking one year, and I didn't realize it until I noticed
some discoloration in the water as I was sitting at the dock. I believe it
was this o-ring that was replaced by the shop, but I'm not 100% sure. It
was either an o-ring or seal in the outdrive. Once replaced the leak
stopped.
***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****

John

Wow, thanks for taking the time to give me all this info.
The oil co
"jamesgangnc" wrote in message
oups.com...
The annual outdrive alignment is probably more of an issue the first
year than subsequent ones. Things tend to settle the first year and
after that it's a lot less likely to change. Of all the i/o's out
there I'd say not very many get an annual alignment check. Even new
ones.

Is it possible you have always had a slow lube leak? Alignment
problems can cause premature failure of the front seal on the drive.
It has to be pretty bad though. The rubber coupling can handle
moderate mis-alignment.

All boats have maintenance issues. One of the hidden costs of boating.
Boats are nothing like cars. You'll find that pulling the outdrive is
actually pretty easy. Jet drives have gas consumption issues, expect
them to consume about 25% more gas for the same weight. Pwc's have
their own issues. They are a lot more like motorcycle engines than
your mercruiser engine. Inboards are probably less maintenance than an
i/o but certainly stilll need it. They also have some sort of
transmission and a shaft and prop that always sticks out of the bottom
of the boat. There is no free ride.

Mr Wizzard wrote:
[...]

Wow, thanks for taking the time to give me this onfo.
The oil consuption seemed to happen all of a sudden.
One thing that recently happened is that I did drag
the fin accross the sidewalk a bit ago when pulling
it out of the driveway (stupid user trick). It wasn't
bad - dressed up the bottom of the fin with a file.
Prop untouched, fin not bent/broken. Minor I thought.
So I wonder if that event had an impact on things?
I have also noticed a slight/mild vibration at 1800
to 1900 RPM when in gear (just above idle), but
didn't think that it was bad enough to make too much
of a stink over. So yeah, I just don't know.

Makes good sence about the first year and things
settle, and the coupling being able to take up some
of the missalignment, makes good sense.

And yeah, I would think that if it were out of
alignment bad enough to beat out the bearing
and seal, seems like I would have noticed a
lot more severe warnings/symptopms - I can't
believe that this would Alpha-1 could be *that*
delicate. But needless to say, it *has* just used
about 6 Oz of gear lube, so somehting is up.

On the other boats, here's the rub. When I
got this 2005 Bayliner 175 last June 29th, I
agonized over the SeeDoo Sportster with
the Rotax's and the jet drive, and mainly due
to simplicity of the whole jet drive, steeting,
reverse etc.etc. No prop to worry about,
and no shift cables to deal with (shell-shock
over the whole OMC shifter/outdrive probs).
But due to price, I chickened out. I'm thinking
that maybe the Jet drive sportster might have
been the better choice. No annnual outdrive
pulling, no prop worries, no dragging fin on
the sidewalk, and remembering to make sure
outdrive is up, down, trailer position, down, up ...
And no shifter cable maintenance, interupter
switch headaches, gimbles, bearings, seals,
bellows, and what-not associated with I/O's.

But yeah, maybe the SeeDoo Sportster, and
jet drives, and PWC's have their own issues
like you say, there is no free ride, and thats the
part that I need to digest I guess. I am a full-on
DIY-er, so hands on is not the issue. Just don't
like situations where I need to take something
to the dealer. I suspose that I can learn to pull
my own outdrive to do the engine alignment too.

So I got a call into Olympic boat center, and
if/when they call back. I'll schedule to get it in.

Thanks again! (means a lot)

Mr Wizzard wrote:
[...]

Interesting web page, thanks! However, like I said
in an earlier post, there is absolutly no rainbow on
the water anywhere (looked long and hard). Also,
ans while we're on the subject, where does one get
a "pump" to change the gear lube? - I read that you
have to pump the lube "up" the drive from the bottom
drain plug. (another stupid-ass maintenance/design deal).

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****

John

wrote:

[...]

Mr Wizzard wrote:

egroups.com...

Mr Wizzard wrote:

[...]

WalMart. But I use a presurized 2 gallon (former) pesticide spray can
with a homemade spigot.

(another stupid-ass maintenance/design deal).

More physics than design. Filling from the bottom reduces/eliminates
bubbles & trapped air resulting in a more complete fill.

Rob

It's just a little plastic plunger pump that fits in the top of quart
gear lube bottles. The gear lube does not circulate but it is
connected between the top and bottom halfs of the outdrive via small
passage. This is so the gear lube can expand when hot. Because the
passage is just a small hole the only way to get the drive properly
filled is to pump the lube up from the bottom drain. If you pour it in
the top it just traps the bottom full of air. Drive should be the down
position when adding lube.

I always said alphas were a bit of rube goldburg. They have not
fundamentally changed since the whole idea of bolting the bottom of an
outboard onto a auto engine started. The newer merc bravoes and
volvoes are better designed from an engineering standpoint. But the
alpha is not delicate and there are millions of them running around so
the parts are cheap. If you are a diy're you will not have any trouble
removing the outdrive or splitting the lower and upper halfs. The
alignment tool is about $70 and is not very hard to do. A service
manual is a must as there are tricks you need to know like it must be
in forward gear to remove the outdrive.