Billgran

Default gear lube for 88 OMC sterndrive (4.3L)

"BOBISNEXT" wrote in message
Hi to all:

OMC specifies OMC Hi- Vis lubricant for its vertical drive.

What is Hi Vis?? Is it 80W90? Are there lower cost (but not lower quality)
substitutes?

thanks

bob

You can use the HiVis or the factory's better lubricant Ultra HPF in your
drive. They are special oils and not 80 or 90 grade gear oils. The Ultra HPF
is semi-synthetic and is said even with 10% water to lubricate better than
Hypoid oil. The older Mercruisers and Yamahas use Hypoid 90.

Bill Grannis
service manager

:
:What is Hi Vis?? Is it 80W90? Are there lower cost (but not lower quality)
:substitutes?

: Hi Vis = High Viscosity. Penzoil makes a great Hi-Vis marine gearcase lube
: that you can find at Wal-Mart. I use it and my gearcase runs very quiet and I
: have noticed there are no metal particals on the magnet since I switched.

I have an '82 OMC outdrive and have been using the Wal-Mart bought Hi-Vis
gear oil for several years without problem. It's a lot cheaper than the OMC
brand.

b.