Default gear lube for 88 OMC sterndrive (4.3L)

CCred68046 wrote:
:OMC specifies OMC Hi- Vis lubricant for its vertical drive.
:
:What is Hi Vis?? Is it 80W90? Are there lower cost (but not lower quality)
:substitutes?

: Hi Vis = High Viscosity. Penzoil makes a great Hi-Vis marine gearcase lube
: that you can find at Wal-Mart. I use it and my gearcase runs very quiet and I
: have noticed there are no metal particals on the magnet since I switched.

I have an '82 OMC outdrive and have been using the Wal-Mart bought Hi-Vis
gear oil for several years without problem. It's a lot cheaper than the OMC
brand.

b.