Mr Wizzard Mr Wizzard is offline

Default Mercruiser A-1 gear lube consumption

What's normal for gear lube consumption for the
newer Alpha 1? I have a 2005 Bayliner 175
w/ Mercruiser 3.0L A-1 which has little plastuc
gear lube monitor. Only had it out 2-3 times
this year since winter, and I noticed that the
fluid level is down about 1/2 inch below the
"Add" line, and I'm concerned. Its *never*
gotten that low before! Today we stoped
in the middle of the lake and went swimming,
wading, and what not, and I looked very hard
for the "rainbow", and found nothing. No signs
of a leak anywhere. No smell, no film, all dry,
no rainbow on water. So if the Alpha-1 was
leaking/seeping gear lube, where would it be
going? prop shaft seal, shift lever? I wonder
if its leaking inside the bellows for the drive shaft ?
is there a way to see down in the bellows from
the inside?

I know everyone says that it should use NO
gear lube, I'm just wondering if there is any
acceptable amount of gear lube that a newer
Alpha-1 can consume before being concerned?
I have been running it pretty hard, and longer
periods of WOT, could that make a difference ?

Thanks!