Default What's the deal with Bayliner?

I've heard they are actually a pretty low-quality mfj. I know theres a
dealer that sells a few of them locally , but you don't see many of
them.

But I was thinking that if they are so bad, then how do they stay in
business?

Surely , I would think, they have to make something good.....

how did they get their dubious reputation?

wrote in message
ups.com...

I've heard they are actually a pretty low-quality mfj. I know theres a
dealer that sells a few of them locally , but you don't see many of
them.

But I was thinking that if they are so bad, then how do they stay in
business?

Surely , I would think, they have to make something good.....

how did they get their dubious reputation?

I think most US made boats have ****ty fit and finish. I owned a Wellcraft
that was falling apart from day one. Bayliners actually got their act
together because of all the crap they were catching for their crappy
quality. If there was only more competition from foreign boat manufacturers!
maybe some day.

Robk1013 wrote:
What would all you guy rate as the best manufacturer for quality and
reliability
Dan J.S. wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

I've heard they are actually a pretty low-quality mfj. I know theres a
dealer that sells a few of them locally , but you don't see many of
them.

But I was thinking that if they are so bad, then how do they stay in
business?

Surely , I would think, they have to make something good.....

how did they get their dubious reputation?

I think most US made boats have ****ty fit and finish. I owned a Wellcraft
that was falling apart from day one. Bayliners actually got their act
together because of all the crap they were catching for their crappy
quality. If there was only more competition from foreign boat manufacturers!
maybe some day.

Crownline is a mid price range boat that consistently rates in the top
end in all consumer reviews. Anyone who was in the market for a a
runabout or a maxi cruiser (bubble boat) really should check out
Crownline. There are a number of people who own them on our dock and
everyone who owns one LOVES them. It reminds me of Honda owners in the
80's and 90's. They are rabid when describing how great their boat is.

--
Reggie

That's my story and I am sticking to it!

"Robk1013" wrote in message
oups.com...
What would all you guy rate as the best manufacturer for quality and
reliability

You'll probably get lots of "bests", since few people have ever owned one of
every brand. Over the past few years, I've spent time on lots of Lund boats
of various sizes & shapes, and their fit & finish are quite remarkable. My
only other direct experience goes back too many years to be useful, although
my dad's 32' Luhrs (circa 1967) is still in use by a family friend, and he's
delighted with it.

Harry Krause wrote:
Reginald P. Smithers III wrote:
Robk1013 wrote:
What would all you guy rate as the best manufacturer for quality and
reliability
Dan J.S. wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

You have a dock in your bathtub, Reggie?

Harry,
Have you noticed I really am not interested in trading barbs with you?
This is another On topic thread, that hopefully can can generate some
boating discussion without generating into a personal battle between
regulars.
--
Reggie

That's my story and I am sticking to it!

wrote in message
ups.com...

I've heard they are actually a pretty low-quality mfj. I know theres a
dealer that sells a few of them locally , but you don't see many of
them.

But I was thinking that if they are so bad, then how do they stay in
business?

Surely , I would think, they have to make something good.....

They do make a decent entry level boat on par with most other mass
production boats in the 17 to 25 foot range.

how did they get their dubious reputation?

From the crap the made in the 1980's. Their quality has improved
substantially since then.

Don't pay attention to the Bayliner basher crowd. They will always be
around and they most likely have never been on one recently.

Jim

JimH wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

I've heard they are actually a pretty low-quality mfj. I know theres a
dealer that sells a few of them locally , but you don't see many of
them.

But I was thinking that if they are so bad, then how do they stay in
business?

Surely , I would think, they have to make something good.....

They do make a decent entry level boat on par with most other mass
production boats in the 17 to 25 foot range.

how did they get their dubious reputation?

From the crap the made in the 1980's. Their quality has improved
substantially since then.

Don't pay attention to the Bayliner basher crowd. They will always be
around and they most likely have never been on one recently.

Jim

Yeah, what I don't understand is that fact, that because of the crap
they built in the 80's is still haunting them. Hell, Ford Pinto and
Mustang II hurt Ford for awhile, but not forever. Same with Chevy Vega
and the infamous 350 that was converted to a diesel didn't hurt GM for
long. Harley when AMF took them over?

"basskisser" wrote in message
ups.com...

JimH wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

I've heard they are actually a pretty low-quality mfj. I know theres a
dealer that sells a few of them locally , but you don't see many of
them.

But I was thinking that if they are so bad, then how do they stay in
business?

Surely , I would think, they have to make something good.....

They do make a decent entry level boat on par with most other mass
production boats in the 17 to 25 foot range.

how did they get their dubious reputation?

From the crap the made in the 1980's. Their quality has improved
substantially since then.

Don't pay attention to the Bayliner basher crowd. They will always be
around and they most likely have never been on one recently.

Jim

Yeah, what I don't understand is that fact, that because of the crap
they built in the 80's is still haunting them. Hell, Ford Pinto and
Mustang II hurt Ford for awhile, but not forever. Same with Chevy Vega
and the infamous 350 that was converted to a diesel didn't hurt GM for
long. Harley when AMF took them over?

A quote from my mechanic, referring to my 1992 Taurus: "What kind of moron
engineer puts a bare fusible link under the motor, where it'll be bathed in
water & road salt constantly?"

Pinto & Mustang may not have hurt forever, but other sins certainly hang
around for a long time.

Bayliner Alternatives [email protected] General 24 June 2nd 06 08:05 PM
A Bayliner thread [email protected] General 16 May 31st 06 04:10 PM
Bayliner 185 [email protected] General 14 June 19th 04 10:20 PM
BAYLINER BASHERS.. Maxx1676 General 75 June 5th 04 12:37 AM
Bayliner Bashing JML General 8 August 5th 03 01:04 PM