Default What's the deal with Bayliner?

UglyDan®©™ wrote:
(JoeSpareBedroom)wrote
That could be true, as long as the company ferrets out the scum who
designed the motors for the minivans, and has them executed before they
do any more damage. Cylinder to piston tolerances were measured in feet,
a fact easily noticed by simply driving behind some of these vans.

I wish they had executed them, but it appears they went to work for GM
instead. The gasser Vortec V8 in my Silverado sound like a diesel.
www.pistonslap.com tells the story. UD

Interesting site. My wife's mother has a V6 in a minivan that I always
thought was noisy especially on start up. I'm wondering.

Don White wrote:
JohnH wrote:
On Wed, 12 Jul 2006 18:30:38 GMT, Don White wrote:

Harry Krause wrote:

JohnH wrote:

On 12 Jul 2006 09:20:34 -0700, "basskisser" wrote:

JimH wrote:

wrote in message
glegroups.com...

I've heard they are actually a pretty low-quality mfj. I know
theres a
dealer that sells a few of them locally , but you don't see many of
them.

But I was thinking that if they are so bad, then how do they stay in
business?

Surely , I would think, they have to make something good.....

They do make a decent entry level boat on par with most other mass
production boats in the 17 to 25 foot range.

how did they get their dubious reputation?

From the crap the made in the 1980's. Their quality has improved
substantially since then.

Don't pay attention to the Bayliner basher crowd. They will always be
around and they most likely have never been on one recently.

Jim

Yeah, what I don't understand is that fact, that because of the crap
they built in the 80's is still haunting them. Hell, Ford Pinto and
Mustang II hurt Ford for awhile, but not forever. Same with Chevy Vega
and the infamous 350 that was converted to a diesel didn't hurt GM for
long. Harley when AMF took them over?

You're correct. The best car built in America is the Ford Mustang GT!

(The best built in America or Europe for that matter!)
***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****

John

I gave up golf 30-odd years ago, after playing one game on the course at
the Boca Raton Club. Part of a foursome, I played with rented clubs, and
shot a 90. When we got back to the clubhouse, I talked to the pro about
playing golf and he advised me to give it up right there and then,
because, he said, it would take me 10 years to duplicate my beginner's
luck.

My only previous golf experience was on chip and putt courses.

Since then, I have played miniature golf about a dozen times.

At work the office used to have a 'golf day' once a year. It was an easy
choice for me... stay at my desk on a beautiful day, or go out to a nice
course to walk around and whack some balls.
After a few hours of chasing my balls all over the rough stuff, begging
co-workers for some and then picking up any I saw laying around, I
decided there were better things to do on a hot sunny afternoon.

Almost the same thing happened to me about 35 years ago. The Engineer
Officers at Fort Benning would have an annual get-together for golf. I
played about five times, and the most enjoyable thing to do was bang a ball
off the huge water tank in the middle of the course!

Becoming able to hit the ball, albeit only about half the time, has changed
my attitude. Also, my doctor says I need exercise. Here I live five minutes
from a nice county course where, as a senior and county resident, I can
play 18 holes for $16.53. Not a bad deal!
***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****

John

$16.53?? I could afford that. I should check the local clubs to see if
they have similar deals.

Your better off learning guitar!

Clams Canino wrote:
" JimH" jimhUNDERSCOREosudad@yahooDOTcom wrote in message

From the crap the made in the 1980's. Their quality has improved
substantially since then.

Don't pay attention to the Bayliner basher crowd. They will always be
around and they most likely have never been on one recently.

Jim

That and the fact that they are still a "price point" boat... ie a "starter
boat" via the low price point. They still have to cut a few corners here and
there to keep them underpriced.

-W

Every manufacturer of anything cuts corners in some way.

" JimH" jimhUNDERSCOREosudad@yahooDOTcom wrote in message
. ..

"Don White" wrote in message

JimH wrote:

wrote in message
glegroups.com...

I've heard they are actually a pretty low-quality mfj. I know theres
dealer that sells a few of them locally , but you don't see many of
them.

But I was thinking that if they are so bad, then how do they stay in
business?

Surely , I would think, they have to make something good.....

They do make a decent entry level boat on par with most other mass
production boats in the 17 to 25 foot range.

how did they get their dubious reputation?

From the crap the made in the 1980's. Their quality has improved
substantially since then.

Don't pay attention to the Bayliner basher crowd. They will always be
around and they most likely have never been on one recently.

Jim

Yeah, what I don't understand is that fact, that because of the crap
they built in the 80's is still haunting them. Hell, Ford Pinto and
Mustang II hurt Ford for awhile, but not forever. Same with Chevy Vega
and the infamous 350 that was converted to a diesel didn't hurt GM for
long. Harley when AMF took them over?

You're correct. The best car built in America is the Ford Mustang GT!

Hmmm, I'll just say they're pretty! Consumer Reports actually rates the
newer 'stang quite high in both repair frequency, and used car value.

Nephew just bought a 2005 Mustang white convertible.
Wonder if he'd loan it to me so I can cruise the local beaches.

A GT running right behind me in the left lane kicked it into gear
yesterday while I was on I-90. My windows were open and the sound of the
car accelerating was sweet!

When we hear that noise on a highway around here, it's usually a NY State
Trooper. They have a bunch of those cars. They're idiot detectors. Anyone
who doesn't notice a Mustang in the mix of cars is probably drunk.

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
. ..

Down here, when you see a Mustang GT, you almost always see a high-school
boy driving it too fast. And poorly. There must be 15 of them in the
student lot at the local high school, mostly black and yellow. Popular
among male hairdressers, too.

To each their own, but when the "retro look" new Mustang first came out I
initially thought it was a half-way decent reflection of the original. Lost
interest though when I learned it was becoming immensely popular with males
of alternative persuasions.

Eisboch

"Eisboch" wrote in message

"Harry Krause" wrote in message
. ..

Down here, when you see a Mustang GT, you almost always see a high-school
boy driving it too fast. And poorly. There must be 15 of them in the
student lot at the local high school, mostly black and yellow. Popular
among male hairdressers, too.

To each their own, but when the "retro look" new Mustang first came out I
initially thought it was a half-way decent reflection of the original.
Lost interest though when I learned it was becoming immensely popular with
males of alternative persuasions.

Eisboch

That's just plain silly. I can see avoiding minivans because you might be
marked as a yawn-driver, but if you want a Mustang, you should have one. The
pretty boys are fickle. They'll pick a different badge soon enough.

Eisboch wrote:

To each their own, but when the "retro look" new Mustang first came out I
initially thought it was a half-way decent reflection of the original.
Lost interest though when I learned it was becoming immensely popular
with males of alternative persuasions.

Well, it really doesn't matter that much to me. I like the car, at little,
at least, but there are others in that price range that appeal more to me.
A lot of brute horsepower in a small car doesn't do much for me, unless
the car is an AC Cobra, and not the ersatz variety. I always preferred the
smaller sports cars.

Gentle ribbing for some, 'tis all.

Eisboch

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 09:15:05 -0400, "Eisboch" wrote:

"Harry Krause" wrote in message

Down here, when you see a Mustang GT, you almost always see a high-school
boy driving it too fast. And poorly. There must be 15 of them in the
student lot at the local high school, mostly black and yellow. Popular
among male hairdressers, too.

To each their own, but when the "retro look" new Mustang first came out I
initially thought it was a half-way decent reflection of the original. Lost
interest though when I learned it was becoming immensely popular with males
of alternative persuasions.

Eisboch

Thank goodness I'm not worried about my self image!

I think I heard the same thing about Nikon D70's, which is why a lot of
people got rid of theirs.

:)

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****

John

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 10:46:24 -0400, Harry Krause
wrote:

We've seen your photo. It would be useless for you to worry. :-

***** Have a Spectacular Day! *****

John
Ed Ed is offline

I live in Fort Lauderdale of the ICWW.... 2/3s of the people I see on
the water have NO CLUE about the rules of the road and how to handle a
boat.

I hold a 100ton commercial license (15 years now) and in the 20 years of
living here I have yet to have anyone answer a passing or crossing
signal on the narrow ICWW...They don't know about the rules of passing
through a narrow (Like a bridge with a tide flow) they ignore the 15"
wake rule and run 50' SeaRays at 25kts down the ICWW.... so NO... they
are not ALL idiots but many haven't bothered learning the basics of
their hobby....

basskisser wrote:
Ed wrote:

I love golf...( I haven't played for 20 years but I love it) if it
wasn't for golf think how many more idiots would be on the water.........

Why would they instantly be "idiots"? Is everyone who is on the water
"idiots" in your eyes? Or just everyone except yourself?

Bayliner Alternatives [email protected] General 24 June 2nd 06 08:05 PM
A Bayliner thread [email protected] General 16 May 31st 06 04:10 PM
Bayliner 185 [email protected] General 14 June 19th 04 10:20 PM
BAYLINER BASHERS.. Maxx1676 General 75 June 5th 04 12:37 AM
Bayliner Bashing JML General 8 August 5th 03 01:04 PM