JimH

Default Memorial Day Weekend Plans

The weather looks great for us this Memorial Day weekend and we may take the
boat out Saturday and Monday. I also want to give my son some first hand
experience to see how stupid some folks can be on the water and figure this
will be a great opportunity for it. I will be at the helm as I know how
crazy it will probably be.

He received his boating safety class certification over the winter by
attending the Power Squadron classes and I want to give him some on water
time fine tuning instructions before I allow him to take it out on his own.
I also plan to take him out (just him and me) next week to go over docking
and key features of the boat he needs to know.

The nicest day of the weekend (weather wise) is expected to be Sunday but we
will be happy being away from the boat that day...........that same son of
mine is graduating from High School that day and my daughter will be home
for the ceremony and celebratory dinner (that I am cooking). ;-)

So what are your plans?

Don White

JimH wrote:
[...]

Since Sunday should be sunny (maybe), I'll be busy building a pressure
treated fence along the east side of my backyard...where my garage was
until a couple of weeks ago. This week it's either raining or
threatening to rain...tough trying to set 4" x 4" posts in concrete.
JimH

"Don White" wrote in message
JimH wrote:
[...]

If the ground is wet just dig out the hole to the appropriate depth for your
area, widen out the hole base to form a footer, fill it with 2" of gravel,
set the post inside of it and pour in the dry quick set concrete. Use a
pole to probe the concrete mix to make sure there are no voids. Now
sprinkle with water. The concrete mix will wick the water you sprayed onto
it and most especially from the cavity walls and will
set.................and set firm

I used this method for years in this northern climate when setting posts for
fences, decks and basketball posts and have never run into a problem. I do,
however, make sure my holes are set deep enough for my winter climate.

JimH wrote:
[...]

Indulgence is now about 3 weeks from done. I'll be up at the boatyard
on Sunday and Monday paying homage to the goddess Bernice. I haven't
been able to convice my wife to join me. She keeps saying that whenever
the boat needs work (or costs money) that it's
*my* boat. Go figure? She's happy enough to spend a few weeks on "my"
boat every year- and I notice she has a keen interest in choosing new
window coverings, etc. Aw well, looks like it will just be me and
Bernice this weekend.

(Bernice was a Norse goddess of the woodlands, and her name is the
etymological root for
"varnish"- a product that essentially uses the essence of wood itself
to enhance the appearance the material's appearance.)

Jack Goff

On Wed, 24 May 2006 17:05:19 -0400, " JimH"
jimhUNDERSCOREosudad@yahooDOTcom wrote:

So what are your plans?

We'll be out on Sunday... but it's nothing new. I already have a tan,
and have run through a couple of tanks of (expensive) gas.

South Carolina is almost as good as Florida in some ways, and far
better in others! We're way into boating season already.

Jack
Wayne.B

On Thu, 25 May 2006 01:49:50 GMT, Jack Goff wrote:

South Carolina is almost as good as Florida in some ways, and far
better in others! We're way into boating season already.

Boating season never ends in Florida, and here in SWFL the winter
season is better than summer in many respects.

We'll be heading out to Ft Myers Beach with a bunch of our boating
neighbors.

Don White

JimH wrote:
"Don White" wrote in message

JimH wrote:

[...]

We'll be using 8" 'SonoTube' to set the post in and will fill cavity
remaining with the concrete mix. (eventually backfilling around tube
with earth) Here they recommend from 3.5 to 4 feet below grade to avoid
frost heaves. Digging holes that deep by hand can be tiring when
hitting large rocks, roots etc.
Bryan

" JimH" jimhUNDERSCOREosudad@yahooDOTcom wrote in message
[...]

Awards ceremony at school Friday morning for my 15 year old, then brunch
with friends, then some practice tossing trout lures into a small lake.
Ferry ride, picnic, and bike riding with friends on Angel Island in San
Francisco Bay on Saturday, and probably some more practice tossing trout
lures into a small lake.
Sunday, boating!
Monday, boating!

DSK

Jack Goff wrote:
South Carolina is almost as good as Florida in some ways, and far
better in others! We're way into boating season already.

I like that: "South Carolina is almost as good as Florida in
some ways." Maybe they can start putting that on their
license plates.

Wayne.B wrote:
Boating season never ends in Florida, and here in SWFL the winter
season is better than summer in many respects.

Heck, boating season never ends in North Carolina. I don't
know what's wrong with those yokels to the south. It's true
there are some weeks where the temp is a bit unpleasant for
being out on the water, but that's just a temporary setback
and not worth moving to the Equator.

We'll be heading out to Ft Myers Beach with a bunch of our boating
neighbors.

Sounds good. We don't really have any definite plans, but
will do some work on the boat and take it out for a spin....
hopefully the weather will be good for some sailing, too.

Fair Skies- Doug King

Houseboating Memorial Day Lake Mead and Lake Mohave USATraveler General 2 May 19th 06 05:26 PM
Re paddle plans... VK1NF General 0 May 6th 06 11:14 PM
Memorial Day Weekend - No Name Harbor Key Biscayne Don Caballero Cruising 0 April 24th 06 09:04 PM
Plans for cedar strip type round bottom sailing skiff [email protected] Boat Building 3 October 29th 05 01:22 AM