Jack Goff

Default Memorial Day Weekend Plans

On Thu, 25 May 2006 06:38:40 -0400, DSK wrote:

Jack Goff wrote:
South Carolina is almost as good as Florida in some ways, and far
better in others! We're way into boating season already.

I like that: "South Carolina is almost as good as Florida in
some ways." Maybe they can start putting that on their
license plates.

LOL! Nah, we'll stick with" SC: Far better than FL". We have fewer
displaced yankees, and four seasons. Don't laugh, we consider North
Carolinians to be yankees. :-)

Heck, boating season never ends in North Carolina. I don't
know what's wrong with those yokels to the south. It's true
there are some weeks where the temp is a bit unpleasant for
being out on the water, but that's just a temporary setback
and not worth moving to the Equator.

I hear ya. Our boat lives in a slip, and only comes out of the water
for maintenance and cleaning. It gets used year-round. But I
consider boating season to be when I can get into the water. That
means it runs from April-May until at least October. The rest of the
time I'm in the boat, and wishing it was warm enough to be in the
water.

basskisser

JimH wrote:
The weather looks great for us this Memorial Day weekend and we may take the
boat out Saturday and Monday. I also want to give my son some first hand
experience to see how stupid some folks can be on the water and figure this
will be a great opportunity for it. I will be at the helm as I know how
crazy it will probably be.

He received his boating safety class certification over the winter by
attending the Power Squadron classes and I want to give him some on water
time fine tuning instructions before I allow him to take it out on his own.
I also plan to take him out (just him and me) next week to go over docking
and key features of the boat he needs to know.

The nicest day of the weekend (weather wise) is expected to be Sunday but we
will be happy being away from the boat that day...........that same son of
mine is graduating from High School that day and my daughter will be home
for the ceremony and celebratory dinner (that I am cooking). ;-)

So what are your plans?

Mine:
http://www.tybeeisland.com/

DSK

Jack Goff wrote:
.... Don't laugh, we consider North
Carolinians to be yankees. :-)

I know, I lived down there a while

You all have "barbecue" which contains rice & mustard....
that should at least get points for originality, I suppose

I hear ya. Our boat lives in a slip, and only comes out of the water
for maintenance and cleaning. It gets used year-round. But I
consider boating season to be when I can get into the water. That
means it runs from April-May until at least October. The rest of the
time I'm in the boat, and wishing it was warm enough to be in the
water.

We just got our boat launched, after it's first haul-out in
three years. As for swimming, it does tend to get a bit
nippy between Halloween & Valentines Day. But at least there
aren't any mosquitos then. These days I do most of my
swimming in a pool, and for those small boat sailing days, I
have a wetsuit. No problem!

As for Yankees, I don't mind them much. They crash their
cars in the winter and they burn themselves to a frazzle in
the summer... so far I have met very few who have figured
out that October thru May is the best season to be on the
water, they are still on Rhode Island time (or something). I
met a fellow a couople weeks back who was simultaneously
wiping sweat off his neck and saying that he hoped he could
launch his boat for "spring" a week early this year!

Oh well.

Regards
Doug King

Don White

Jack Goff wrote:

I hear ya. Our boat lives in a slip, and only comes out of the water
for maintenance and cleaning. It gets used year-round. But I
consider boating season to be when I can get into the water. That
means it runs from April-May until at least October. The rest of the
time I'm in the boat, and wishing it was warm enough to be in the
water.

What a girlieman! People up here swim almost as long a season.

Well, I'm leaving Friday night after a rock concert at Jones Beach (my
wife's pick this time - double-bill of Styx and Foreigner, two groups I
wouldn't care about even if it was their original line-ups with the
real lead singer, which it isn't in either case!) to visit my Mom,
stepdad, sister, brother-in-law and niece on the South Jersey shore
(Longport, the next town north from Ocean City, NJ) until Monday
morning...but Karen is staying home for the weekend sending me for the
family visit myself (her kids, my stepdaughters will be with their old
man after he picks 'em up on Saturday morning)....which will be nice,
I'll be down the shore on my own without wife or kids to set my own
recreational schedule kind of selfishly for two days.....so anyway,
bringing the kayak down to go for a nice afternoon run with my
brother-in-law, who keeps his down there, on Saturday, if the weather's
nice...if it's rainy I'll probably just sit around the house,
socialize, play piano, play with my new gps, and kind of mope...but
also taking the Waverunner down which should make for a really nice
opportunity on Sunday (again, pending the weather which seems pretty up
in the air at this point) for an epic all-day solo run of the kind I
wouldn't be able to make if I was down there with the wife and kids.
If it's not too windy I'm thinking of a fairly insane ride down to Cape
May, across the Delaware Bay and all the way to Ocean City, Md., and
back....or if it looks too windy for that kind of ride, maybe I'll just
circle around Absecon Island through the back bays, ask my sister if
they want to meet me around Brigantine for lunch on the water...and
then back around on the ocean side (again, conditions permitting but in
my experience it's usually very calm along the Jersey coast), hopefully
I'll see some dolphins, actually saw one off Staten Island in early
April.

Been boating since Apr. 2nd but this ride should make a good "official
season kick-off"...man I hope the weather turns out nice.

richforman

basskisser

JimH wrote:
"Don White" wrote in message
JimH wrote:
[...]

Since Sunday should be sunny (maybe), I'll be busy building a pressure
treated fence along the east side of my backyard...where my garage was
until a couple of weeks ago. This week it's either raining or threatening
to rain...tough trying to set 4" x 4" posts in concrete.

If the ground is wet just dig out the hole to the appropriate depth for your
area, widen out the hole base to form a footer, fill it with 2" of gravel,
set the post inside of it and pour in the dry quick set concrete. Use a
pole to probe the concrete mix to make sure there are no voids. Now
sprinkle with water. The concrete mix will wick the water you sprayed onto
it and most especially from the cavity walls and will
set.................and set firm

I used this method for years in this northern climate when setting posts for
fences, decks and basketball posts and have never run into a problem. I do,
however, make sure my holes are set deep enough for my winter climate.

Contrary to popular belief, you shouldn't encase PT lumber in concrete.
You should instead pour a footing/pier (NOT "footer") then use a
Simpson or equal post bracket that get's the PT off of the concrete.
Concrete always holds moisture, so exposes the PT lumber to rot.
This being said, I do it the way you've mentioned, and my fence has
been in place 11 years, not rotted yet. A good trick though, is to use
put a couple of 16d nails in the bottom of the post but don't drive
them home, leaving about half the nail exposed. This will prevent
uplift after the concrete sets.

Reginald P. Smithers

basskisser wrote:
JimH wrote:
"Don White" wrote in message
JimH wrote:
[...]

A home inspector will highlight and emphasize the problems of placing PT
wood directly into concrete. It will rot out substantially faster than
if the wood is attached correctly to a footing.

Every home improvement show I have watched has highlighted the dangers
of placing PT directly into the dirt of concrete.

--
Reggie

That's my story and I am sticking to it.
Jack Goff

On Thu, 25 May 2006 08:51:44 -0400, DSK wrote:

Jack Goff wrote:
.... Don't laugh, we consider North
Carolinians to be yankees. :-)

I know, I lived down there a while

You all have "barbecue" which contains rice & mustard....
that should at least get points for originality, I suppose

I grew up on mustard-based BBQ. The little local places have the good
stuff, not the Maurice Bessinger's crap. But we've gotten worldly
now... most places have vinegar and tomato based sauces as well.

The rice is for the string hash, not the BBQ. You can't eat BBQ
without hash!

A goup of us does BBQ at the local hole-in-the-wall every Friday for
lunch. Now I can't stop thinking about it! Glad tomorrow is Friday.

Jack

Houseboating Memorial Day Lake Mead and Lake Mohave USATraveler General 2 May 19th 06 05:26 PM
Re paddle plans... VK1NF General 0 May 6th 06 11:14 PM
Memorial Day Weekend - No Name Harbor Key Biscayne Don Caballero Cruising 0 April 24th 06 09:04 PM
Plans for cedar strip type round bottom sailing skiff [email protected] Boat Building 3 October 29th 05 01:22 AM