AlexE

Default Prop choice: 12 or 13

Hi
I have a Tohatsu 40c (2 cyl) that now has a Tohatsu 10½ x 12 aluminum
prop. The motor turns about 6000-6100 at full throttle (max allowed
5800). If i buy a stainless steel prop (I was thinking of a Michigan
Wheel Rapture), should I get a 12 or 13 pitch? Someone told me that in a
case like this, if the revs are slightly high, get a stainless prop with
the same pitch as the alu prop, that'll take some rpm off, presumably
because the alu prop flexes ever so slightly and the steel does not. The
boat is 14 ft and weighs about 350+ kg including me. Comments? Suggestions?
Rgds
Alex
Forrest

"AlexE" wrote in message
Hi
I have a Tohatsu 40c (2 cyl) that now has a Tohatsu 10½ x 12 aluminum
prop. The motor turns about 6000-6100 at full throttle (max allowed 5800).
If i buy a stainless steel prop (I was thinking of a Michigan Wheel
Rapture), should I get a 12 or 13 pitch? Someone told me that in a case
like this, if the revs are slightly high, get a stainless prop with the
same pitch as the alu prop, that'll take some rpm off, presumably because
the alu prop flexes ever so slightly and the steel does not. The boat is
14 ft and weighs about 350+ kg including me. Comments? Suggestions?
Rgds
Alex

I can't picture an aluminum prop continuously flexing without breaking. A
good one for "Mithbusters". What are you using the boat for? Do you want to
zoom from one side of the lake to the other as fast as you can ... or pull
the kids around on a sled or a skier ... maybe tow a dingy? I would just
stick with the cheaper aluminum and increase the pitch. How much depends on
the above. Good luck

trainfan1

AlexE wrote:
Hi
I have a Tohatsu 40c (2 cyl) that now has a Tohatsu 10½ x 12 aluminum
prop. The motor turns about 6000-6100 at full throttle (max allowed
5800). If i buy a stainless steel prop (I was thinking of a Michigan
Wheel Rapture), should I get a 12 or 13 pitch? Someone told me that in a
case like this, if the revs are slightly high, get a stainless prop with
the same pitch as the alu prop, that'll take some rpm off, presumably
because the alu prop flexes ever so slightly and the steel does not. The
boat is 14 ft and weighs about 350+ kg including me. Comments? Suggestions?
Rgds
Alex

The aluminum isn't flexing. Really.

Get a 12 SS with a generous cup and you'll be golden.

Rob
RCE

"Forrest" wrote in message

I can't picture an aluminum prop continuously flexing without breaking. A
good one for "Mithbusters". What are you using the boat for? Do you want
to zoom from one side of the lake to the other as fast as you can ... or
pull the kids around on a sled or a skier ... maybe tow a dingy? I would
just stick with the cheaper aluminum and increase the pitch. How much
depends on the above. Good luck

Better stay out of airplanes. Those aluminum wings flex big time. If they
didn't, the wings would break off the first time the plane hit some
turbulence.

Metal will flex without breaking as long as it does not exceed it's yield
strength. The yield strength of aluminum alloys is similar to that of
carbon and stainless steel.

RCE

trainfan1

RCE wrote:

"Forrest" wrote in message

I can't picture an aluminum prop continuously flexing without breaking. A
good one for "Mithbusters". What are you using the boat for? Do you want
to zoom from one side of the lake to the other as fast as you can ... or
pull the kids around on a sled or a skier ... maybe tow a dingy? I would
just stick with the cheaper aluminum and increase the pitch. How much
depends on the above. Good luck

Better stay out of airplanes. Those aluminum wings flex big time. If they
didn't, the wings would break off the first time the plane hit some
turbulence.

Metal will flex without breaking as long as it does not exceed it's yield
strength. The yield strength of aluminum alloys is similar to that of
carbon and stainless steel.

RCE

I don't see many die cast or sand cast airplane wings up here in the
north country...

Rob

Calif Bill

"RCE" wrote in message

"Forrest" wrote in message

I can't picture an aluminum prop continuously flexing without breaking. A
good one for "Mithbusters". What are you using the boat for? Do you want
to zoom from one side of the lake to the other as fast as you can ... or
pull the kids around on a sled or a skier ... maybe tow a dingy? I would
just stick with the cheaper aluminum and increase the pitch. How much
depends on the above. Good luck

Better stay out of airplanes. Those aluminum wings flex big time. If
they didn't, the wings would break off the first time the plane hit some
turbulence.

Metal will flex without breaking as long as it does not exceed it's yield
strength. The yield strength of aluminum alloys is similar to that of
carbon and stainless steel.

RCE

Not true. There is no B-50 bearing type rating for aluminum. As long as
you stay below the yield strength in the flex in steel, that is true, but
aluminum wants to crack anyway. Airplanes just keep track of any cracks and
when they exceed a defined amount the part is replaced. I would assume the
airframe is designed so a single part failure is not catastrophic.

RCE

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
nk.net...

"RCE" wrote in message

"Forrest" wrote in message

[...]

I said aluminum alloys. Any of the structural aluminum alloys will flex to
their yield strength number without cracking. The internal monocock frame
structure of a modern jetliner flexes a foot or more over the length of the
wing. Next time you fly, note the relative position of the wingtip to the
fuselage while the plane is on the ground. Then, watch as you take off and
note the position of the wingtip.

Note table 1 at the following link. There are several aluminum alloys that
exceed the carbon steel yield strength of 60 ksi. The 5000 series alloys
are of particular interest for sal****er marine use.

http://elvis.engr.wisc.edu/UER/uer99...1/content.html

RCE

RCE

"RCE" wrote in message

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
nk.net...

"RCE" wrote in message

"Forrest" wrote in message

[...]

Another quick comment on aluminum. Although there are some high strength
alloys, the yield strength and ultimate strength (where it permanently takes
on a new shape or fails) are very close to each other, unlike steel.

RCE

Calif Bill

"RCE" wrote in message

"RCE" wrote in message

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
nk.net...

"RCE" wrote in message

"Forrest" wrote in message

[...]

But Aluminum will still crack evnentually with any flex. Some of the Alloyw
are much stronger, but they will still crack with flex. 5086 is probably
the stongest of the aluminum alloys for boat building, stronger and more
sal****er resistant than 5082, but can not be formed like 5082 without more
cases of cracking.

Jack Redington

Forrest wrote:
"AlexE" wrote in message

Hi
I have a Tohatsu 40c (2 cyl) that now has a Tohatsu 10½ x 12 aluminum
prop. The motor turns about 6000-6100 at full throttle (max allowed 5800).
If i buy a stainless steel prop (I was thinking of a Michigan Wheel
Rapture), should I get a 12 or 13 pitch? Someone told me that in a case
like this, if the revs are slightly high, get a stainless prop with the
same pitch as the alu prop, that'll take some rpm off, presumably because
the alu prop flexes ever so slightly and the steel does not. The boat is
14 ft and weighs about 350+ kg including me. Comments? Suggestions?
Rgds
Alex

If you want high quality stainless "made in the USA" consider PropCo
http://www.propcopropellers.com/ Found them at the boat show this year
and purchased from them direct. Very nice indeed, also avaiable at Bass
Pro Shops..

Cheers:

Capt Jack R..

TECH HELP: Prop Pinhead30558 Cruising 0 May 1st 06 02:23 AM
Estimating best prop pitch with no tach. [email protected] Boat Building 6 March 28th 06 03:51 PM
Prop Coating Sailaway Boat Building 10 February 3rd 06 01:34 PM