posted to rec.boats.building
Sailaway

Default Prop Coating

The guy I sail with is looking for a good slick coating for the folding
prop on his J-109 racing sailboat. The prop appears to be made of brass
or bronze, and gets a pretty good dose of hard marine growth during the
season here in the northeast. He has the bottom cleaned each week or
just before races during the season. The bottom has some kind of slick
paint or coating on it, not like anti-fouling paint, but the prop is
bare. So far, there is only one coating that sounds good, but requires
the prop to be removed and sent to the company for treatment. Anyone
know of a treatment that can be self-applied that would not cause a lot
of friction in the water, and yet protect from sea life?
posted to rec.boats.building

I've tried several things without much success because they all get
scoured off tghe prop by cavitation. Furthermore, if there is a zinc
nearby, it will suppress any copper ions from going into the water from
the prop. He might try removing the shaft zinc which will allow the
copper in the bronze to act as an anti-foulant but this is risky for
such an expensive prop.

posted to rec.boats.building
Paul Oman

Sailaway wrote:

The guy I sail with is looking for a good slick coating for the
folding prop on his J-109 racing sailboat. The prop appears to be made
of brass or bronze, and gets a pretty good dose of hard marine growth
during the season here in the northeast. He has the bottom cleaned
each week or just before races during the season. The bottom has some
kind of slick paint or coating on it, not like anti-fouling paint, but
the prop is bare. So far, there is only one coating that sounds good,
but requires the prop to be removed and sent to the company for
treatment. Anyone know of a treatment that can be self-applied that
would not cause a lot of friction in the water, and yet protect from
sea life?

--------------------

I have a source of teflon (tm) powder which can be added to
paints/epoxies but frankly don't know how effective it would be.

paul oman

posted to rec.boats.building
Garland Gray II

As a matter of fact just a few hours ago I called about "Propspeed", that
supposedly does just that. Propspeed was mentioned on either this group or
rbc, and on emailing the manufacture in New Zealand, I believe, I got the
sense that it was not "owner applied". However, in talking with the
distributor given by the home company, I was told that it could be owner
applied, and that instructions were on this website:

www.propspeedusa.com/

Two years ago for the first time I gave the full treatment as recommended by
Interlux to my props to put antifouling on them. Seems like it was a total
of about 4 or 5 liquids, 2 of which were mixed. together. When I haul in the
next few days, I'll decide whether to do it again or maybe start over from
scratch w/ Propspeed. As the original poster of Propspeed said, it is
expensive. I think the quantity I'd need for my 2 props is about $200
(smallest container)

"Sailaway" wrote in message
The guy I sail with is looking for a good slick coating for the folding
prop on his J-109 racing sailboat. The prop appears to be made of brass or
bronze, and gets a pretty good dose of hard marine growth during the
season here in the northeast. He has the bottom cleaned each week or just
before races during the season. The bottom has some kind of slick paint or
coating on it, not like anti-fouling paint, but the prop is bare. So far,
there is only one coating that sounds good, but requires the prop to be
removed and sent to the company for treatment. Anyone know of a treatment
that can be self-applied that would not cause a lot of friction in the
water, and yet protect from sea life?

posted to rec.boats.building
Wayne.B

On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 13:19:44 -0500, Sailaway
wrote:

The guy I sail with is looking for a good slick coating for the folding
prop on his J-109 racing sailboat. The prop appears to be made of brass
or bronze, and gets a pretty good dose of hard marine growth during the
season here in the northeast. He has the bottom cleaned each week or
just before races during the season.

Bronze. Ask the diver to clean the prop also.

The problem with folding props is that they are built to fairly close
tolerances and need to swing open and closed with little or no
resistance. I have never seen one painted.

posted to rec.boats.building
derbyrm

Interesting. Have you tried applying a Teflon/epoxy mix?

I'd half expect a pitted surface where the powder bits left for lack of
bonding, but if they were small ... ????

Roger

http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm
nk.net...

---------------- the teflon (tm) powder is the size of flour...... paul

Roger

http://home.insightbb.com/~derbyrm
"Paul Oman" wrote in message
ink.net...

I have a source of teflon (tm) powder which can be added to paints/epoxies
but frankly don't know how effective it would be.

paul oman

posted to rec.boats.building
Sailaway

Thanks for all the replies. I'll pass the info along
posted to rec.boats.building
Jerry Steinbach

Sailaway wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. I'll pass the info along

As a side note, he could try using Anhydrous Lanolin (the nice goopy
white stuff) I've heard a good smear of that keeps props nice and
clean.. Shouldnt be a problem for a folding prop either..

Prop for sale Tim General 1 December 2nd 05 05:10 PM
Adjustable Pitch Prop Bill Farina General 9 November 3rd 05 12:08 AM
Variable Pitch Prop Bill Farina ASA 10 October 30th 05 11:28 PM
Prop available Tim Power Boat Racing 2 October 20th 05 07:53 PM
Which feathering prop? Glenn Ashmore Cruising 18 October 5th 05 09:25 AM