Bill Farina

Default Adjustable Pitch Prop

I'm in the process of building an e-boat and am looking for a ~19 inch
variable pitch prop along with probably the shaft and any controls that may
be associated with it.

A friend of mine told me that Volvo makes one, but none of their dealers
seem to know anything about it.

I have been told by others that older fishing boats used to use these, but
were unable to supply a manufacturer name.

If anyone knows of a source, it would be greatly appreciated.

John Cairns

"Bill Farina" wrote in message
I'm in the process of building an e-boat and am looking for a ~19 inch
variable pitch prop along with probably the shaft and any controls that
may
be associated with it.

A friend of mine told me that Volvo makes one, but none of their dealers
seem to know anything about it.

I have been told by others that older fishing boats used to use these, but
were unable to supply a manufacturer name.

If anyone knows of a source, it would be greatly appreciated.

Luke, Maxprop, Autoprop, Martec make feathering props with adjustable
pitches. They give you a recommended pitch, you make any necessary
adjustments. Pricey, very pricey in the case of the Luke, which are
one-offs.

http://www.peluke.com/Propellers/propellers.html

http://tinylink.com/?pbh5yrcpXO

Was that what you were referring to?

John Cairns

Bill Farina

"John Cairns" wrote in message

[...]

Exactly, thanks.

Now I just have to begin saving my pennys. :-)

John Cairns

John Cairns

[...]

You never mentioned why you wanted a feathering prop. Have you considered a
folding prop? Folders work better under sail than feathering
props-considerably less drag than feathering props-and even the best, like
Gori, run about half the cost of a feathering prop.

http://tinylink.com/?khyWB1cXEC

I have a Gori two blade standard folder, sweet.

John Cairns

Bill Farina

"John Cairns" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

I'm in the process of converting a 38' full keel Seafarer ketch from diesel
to electric. I have 2 electric etek motors that I'm going to hook up inline
via a belt drive to the prop shaft. The working hp of the two motors is
kind of vague and I'll probably be running on just one motor most of the
time. Depending on the configuration, the working hp equivalency can be as
much as 2-6 times the electrical hp (which is 8 (15 in short bursts) per
etek). I want to have the flexability so that I can tweak the prop to
optimum efficiency.

John Cairns

[...]

Then you are talking about an automatic variable pitch prop, I read a little
about it. Has to be $$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
For the time being, I'll stick wif me diesel

Link provided by Bart Senior:

http://www.helseth.no/eng_products_3h.htm

John Cairns

Matt Colie

Bill,
I have been following the thread, and I believe that you might do some
thinking before you go too far....

Your ketch is probably about 15 ton. It will take both motors at flat
out to make hull speed with a more or less typical propellor efficiency.
Then there is the small matter or electric power. If you are not
planning to run it as a diesel-electric (like a Staten Island Ferry)
then you will need a huge battery collection (I am going to forego the
extension cord option).

If you run one 8hp (~6kw) motor with one 8D (230Ah) battery, the motor
will be pulling about 450amps (BIG wire) and at that load the battery
will be flat in about 15 minutes give or take.

As to the effective horsepower bit - bull....
Horsepower is horsepower and that is 746 watts. The only gain
experienced is from the constant instantaneous rotational speed that
electric provides. If you actually record the rotational speed of any
IC engine you will see significant variation that peaks at the fire
pulses. This is less pronounced with more cylinders and heavier
flywheels - of course.

If you were to compare an electric drive to a little diesel of three or
four cylinders with a heavy flywheel and a reduction gear drive, you
would be hard pressed to find a difference greater than you instrument
noise.

If you put out the capital for a CP wheel, what could you get for it?
Maybe another couple of minutes under power per charge. Reversing an
electric motor sure is no big problem.

There is another small problem. I have never found a CP wheel that
goes to full feather. I wanted one for a project of my own several
years ago and could find none. I wanted a marine engine with no
transmission at all, so I was hunting for a controllable/reversible
pitch propellor that could do all this. That seems to be the province
of aircraft.

In any case, I wish you the best of luck..
Keep us posted how it goes.

Matt Colie - see a prior sig

Bill Farina wrote:
"John Cairns" wrote in message
. ..

"Bill Farina" wrote in message

"John Cairns" wrote in message
. net...

[...]

Bill Farina

I've been doing a lot of research and have been following the electricboats
forum on yahoo groups for a couple of years. I have been told by AsmoMarine
and others that one motor would be sufficient to drive the boat, but I want
a little extra power to get the extra speed in emergency situations. This
is still sort of a "breadboard" project for me and there will probably end
up being modifications after the initial build.

The boat weighs in at around 16000 lbs without the perkins diesel and
nadaguides claims that the original boat was delivered with a 25hp diesel
installed. I may end up adding as much as 2000 lbs (or more) of additional
equipment with the genset and batteries which could give me 4-5 hours of
slow and silent "motoring" and considerably less at a higher speed before
the genset kicks in.

Bill Farina wrote:
"John Cairns" wrote in message
. ..

"Bill Farina" wrote in message

"John Cairns" wrote in message
.net...

[...]

Matt Colie

Bill,

At 8 ton, 15hp with a good propellor may just get you close, but in a
chop or any headwind you are going to need both.

Having the diesel genset for reserve might make this a nice package. If
you come up with a good little diesel and and aircraft 400 amp generator
, your recovery time could be workable. And - you could probably
jump-start a stalled freighter.

I believe the NADA guide, but I also know that a goodly m=number of
boats are offered with an auxiliary that will not fight a headwind at
all. IE - the Ontario 32s were offered with a 2-cylinder Yanmar and no
one was happy except the people that bought the 3-cylinder upgrade
package.

Have you run into anybody on the web that has done something close to
this package?

Fair Wind and Smooth Sea

Matt Colie
Lifelong Waterman, Licnsed Mariner and Pathological Sailor

Bill Farina wrote:

"John Cairns" wrote in message
et...

"Bill Farina" wrote in message

y.net...

Prop for sale Tim General 1 December 2nd 05 05:10 PM
Variable Pitch Props Bill Farina Boat Building 8 October 29th 05 10:52 PM
Prop available Tim Power Boat Racing 2 October 20th 05 07:53 PM
Which feathering prop? Glenn Ashmore Cruising 18 October 5th 05 09:25 AM