Glenn Ashmore

Default Which feathering prop?

I am headed for Annapolis Thursday at o'dark thirty. One priority is to
find a 3 bladed feathering prop. The candidates a Martec Auto Stream ,
MaxProp, VariProp and Gori.

Anyone have anything good or bad to say about any of them? Any others you
would recommend I look at?

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Lauri Tarkkonen

In npj0f.64$784.63@lakeread08 "Glenn Ashmore" writes:

I am headed for Annapolis Thursday at o'dark thirty. One priority is to
find a 3 bladed feathering prop. The candidates a Martec Auto Stream ,
MaxProp, VariProp and Gori.

Anyone have anything good or bad to say about any of them? Any others you
would recommend I look at?

Any reason Autoprop is not on your list? Price?

I had a two bladed Gori, and think this is perhaps the best two bladed
folding prop. But when I wanted to change to a three bladed feathering
prop, I ended up with j-prop: http://www.bomon.com/jprop/.

I have been very happy with the performance and here in Europe it is
much cheaper than the competition.

There is one question you should pay attention to: If your gearbox has
not about the same reduction ratio of revs on both the forward and
backwards gear, then you better to get an feathering prop that can be
adjusted to different angle of attack of the blades on forward and
reverse. I know J-prop does not have this, but only a few have. It is
possible maxprop has.

- Lauri Tarkkonen

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Brian Whatcott

On Mon, 3 Oct 2005 19:46:37 -0400, "Glenn Ashmore"
wrote:

I am headed for Annapolis Thursday at o'dark thirty. One priority is to
find a 3 bladed feathering prop. The candidates a Martec Auto Stream ,
MaxProp, VariProp and Gori.

Anyone have anything good or bad to say about any of them? Any others you
would recommend I look at?

I am thinking that you are up to making a plaster or wood blade
pattern and hub pattern, and having them cast at a bronze foundry and
contracting a local machine shop to mill the slots and blade roots and
pivot pins. Polish it yourself, even?

Brian Whatcott Altus OK
Skip Gundlach

"Lauri Tarkkonen" wrote in message

There is one question you should pay attention to: If your gearbox has
not about the same reduction ratio of revs on both the forward and
backwards gear, then you better to get an feathering prop that can be
adjusted to different angle of attack of the blades on forward and
reverse. I know J-prop does not have this, but only a few have. It is
possible maxprop has.

- Lauri Tarkkonen

Max Prop has independent pitches forward and reverse - or, at least, my
manual sez mine does...

L8R

Skip, totally sore from moving house

--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig

away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore.
Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
In npj0f.64$784.63@lakeread08 "Glenn Ashmore" writes:

I am headed for Annapolis Thursday at o'dark thirty. One priority is to
find a 3 bladed feathering prop. The candidates a Martec Auto Stream ,
MaxProp, VariProp and Gori.

Anyone have anything good or bad to say about any of them? Any others you
would recommend I look at?

Any reason Autoprop is not on your list? Price?

I had a two bladed Gori, and think this is perhaps the best two bladed
folding prop. But when I wanted to change to a three bladed feathering
prop, I ended up with j-prop: http://www.bomon.com/jprop/.

I have been very happy with the performance and here in Europe it is
much cheaper than the competition.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Glenn Ashmore

"Skip Gundlach" skipgundlach at earthlink dot fishcatcher (.net) wrote in
message ...

Max Prop has independent pitches forward and reverse - or, at least, my
manual sez mine does...

L8R

Skip, totally sore from moving house

New kind of physical therapy huh? ;-)

Where are you and Lydia going to camp until the Pig can fly?

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Glenn Ashmore

"Brian Whatcott" wrote in message

I am thinking that you are up to making a plaster or wood blade
pattern and hub pattern, and having them cast at a bronze foundry and
contracting a local machine shop to mill the slots and blade roots and
pivot pins. Polish it yourself, even?

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

No thank you. I saw a TV show once with Paul Luke giving a tour of making
one of his props. An amazing amount of work goes into those things. The
tooling to cut the gears would cost more than a prop. They are beautifully
machined and built like a tank but they are essentially hand made one offs.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Glenn Ashmore

"Lauri Tarkkonen" wrote in message

Any reason Autoprop is not on your list? Price?

I had a two bladed Gori, and think this is perhaps the best two bladed
folding prop. But when I wanted to change to a three bladed feathering
prop, I ended up with j-prop: http://www.bomon.com/jprop/.

I have been very happy with the performance and here in Europe it is
much cheaper than the competition.

There is one question you should pay attention to: If your gearbox has
not about the same reduction ratio of revs on both the forward and
backwards gear, then you better to get an feathering prop that can be
adjusted to different angle of attack of the blades on forward and
reverse. I know J-prop does not have this, but only a few have. It is
possible maxprop has.

AutoProp is a neat idea but I eliminated it for a couple of reasons. First
it is not truly feathering. The blades hang loose when idle and produce
some drag which can make them rotate. The other is that it relies on 3
races of exposed ball bearings that I am afraid can get caked up with
barnacle cement and other trash.

I had not thought of the J-prop but I will look at them. The 3 bladed Gori
and MaxProp are near the top of my list.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Lauri Tarkkonen

In E3m0f.78$784.41@lakeread08 "Glenn Ashmore" writes:

[...]

If your propeller axis is not perfectly horizontal the three bladed
feathering propeller will vause some drag. I have not heard about the
problem of Autoprop would rotate, but if you put your gear on, I am sure
it will not. I have been asking people who have Autoprops, when I have
seen them working on their boats, but even if there have been some
barnacles on the prop, nobody admitted that it has affected the rotation
of the blades. Of course most people I have met are in the Baltic, where
the barnacle problem is not that big.

I had not thought of the J-prop but I will look at them. The 3 bladed Gori
and MaxProp are near the top of my list.

If you have to fix the angle of the blades differently for forward and
reverse then MaxProp is yours, if it can be symmetric J-prop comes much
cheaper (at least here in Finland). If you choose a Gori, you should
check the vedge that locks the propeller in the axis. Earlier they were
made of brass, and I know a couple of cases, my own boat included where
the vedge has been split into two and the propeller has fallen off.
(They could not find it in the mud of the harbour bottom. :-)). Use
steel.

- Lauri Tarkkonen

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

Jim Richardson

On Mon, 3 Oct 2005 22:48:15 -0400,
Glenn Ashmore wrote:

[...]

Please keep us posted on what you decide on, and why, and maybe how well
it works? I for one am interested. We will need a new prop for
Windwalker in a year or so, our current fixed blade has slight
"pinking" on the leading edges, no major worry, but owrth replacing
before we cast off. A feathering prop is a maybe, depending on cost, and
benefit.

Unix has security which has been tested by conniving, unscrupulous
college students over generations.