Jim Richardson

Default Which feathering prop?

On Mon, 3 Oct 2005 22:48:15 -0400,
Glenn Ashmore wrote:

"Lauri Tarkkonen" wrote in message

Any reason Autoprop is not on your list? Price?

I had a two bladed Gori, and think this is perhaps the best two bladed
folding prop. But when I wanted to change to a three bladed feathering
prop, I ended up with j-prop: http://www.bomon.com/jprop/.

I have been very happy with the performance and here in Europe it is
much cheaper than the competition.

There is one question you should pay attention to: If your gearbox has
not about the same reduction ratio of revs on both the forward and
backwards gear, then you better to get an feathering prop that can be
adjusted to different angle of attack of the blades on forward and
reverse. I know J-prop does not have this, but only a few have. It is
possible maxprop has.

AutoProp is a neat idea but I eliminated it for a couple of reasons. First
it is not truly feathering. The blades hang loose when idle and produce
some drag which can make them rotate. The other is that it relies on 3
races of exposed ball bearings that I am afraid can get caked up with
barnacle cement and other trash.

I had not thought of the J-prop but I will look at them. The 3 bladed Gori
and MaxProp are near the top of my list.

Please keep us posted on what you decide on, and why, and maybe how well
it works? I for one am interested. We will need a new prop for
Windwalker in a year or so, our current fixed blade has slight
"pinking" on the leading edges, no major worry, but owrth replacing
before we cast off. A feathering prop is a maybe, depending on cost, and
benefit.

Unix has security which has been tested by conniving, unscrupulous
college students over generations.