BoatBanter.com

-   -   OT- Power outage in NY. Coincidence? (https://www.boatbanter.com/general/687-re-ot-power-outage-ny-coincidence.html)

noah August 15th 03 12:33 AM

OT- Power outage in NY. Coincidence?

On 14 Aug 2003 23:13:02 GMT, (Gould 0738) wrote:

Within the last couple of days they arrested two guys at the Seattle airport.
One was on the "do not fly" list.
Both had Pakistani passports, and had slipped illegally into the US across the
Candian border at Blaine.

Both guys paid cash for one-way tickets to NY.

Was it a coincidence that they wanted to be in NY this afternoon?
Probably.

At first, I wondered the same as you did. As this thing unfolds, it
seems that our local northern NY power company, Niagara Mohawk,
experienced a major failure, and knocked down the Northeast grid like
a box of Dominos. Coincidently, Niagara Mohawk was sold to a British
Corporation a few years ago, and service has suffered ever since.

In my opinion, we are vulnerable enough when our utilities are
controlled by corporate interests. We are even more vulnerable, as a
society, when our utilities are controlled by a foreign corporate
interest.

I am one of the lucky few with electricity tonight. My daughter is
still stuck on a Metro train in NY, trying to get home to Albany.

***News Flash*** NBC just announced a report that lightning struck a
Niagara Mohawk powerplant, causing the cascade. What?????

Regards from the Great, Dark, Northeast,
noah

noah August 15th 03 12:41 AM

OT- Power outage in NY. Coincidence?

On 14 Aug 2003 23:13:02 GMT, (Gould 0738) wrote:

Within the last couple of days they arrested two guys at the Seattle airport.
One was on the "do not fly" list.
Both had Pakistani passports, and had slipped illegally into the US across the
Candian border at Blaine.

Both guys paid cash for one-way tickets to NY.

Was it a coincidence that they wanted to be in NY this afternoon?
Probably.

....a whimsical update.

Our local newslady just related that NY hospital power supplies were
being kept on-line by "Emergency Janitors". Damn....those guys can
CRANK!!! I hope they've got a good union. :o)
noah

JohnH August 15th 03 12:42 AM

OT- Power outage in NY. Coincidence?

On 14 Aug 2003 23:13:02 GMT, (Gould 0738) wrote:

Within the last couple of days they arrested two guys at the Seattle airport.
One was on the "do not fly" list.
Both had Pakistani passports, and had slipped illegally into the US across the
Candian border at Blaine.

Both guys paid cash for one-way tickets to NY.

Was it a coincidence that they wanted to be in NY this afternoon?
Probably.

Why the hell would they want to be in NY today? It seems more coincidental that
hackers have screwed half the 'puters in the USA, and the 'puters in the
electrical network failed to work as planned today. 'Course, I'm no expert on
any of this. I'm just waiting now for Sen Kennedy to call for guards at every
computer, electrical tower, dam, and river that exists in the USA. Of course, he
will press hard for low ranking civilian government workers who are offered free
membership in the AFGE.

John
On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD

Bill Cole August 15th 03 03:57 AM

OT- Power outage in NY. Coincidence?

Noah,
This is a perfect example of the kind of info you can expect to read in any
NG, Gould, one of the more knowledgeable boaters in the NG, throws out a
theory that maybe the NE Blackout is the result of a terrorist attack. Is
this accurate, as of now it does not appear to be, but it is a great way to
start a bull**** discussion that will soon evolve into a political
discussion.

Joe August 15th 03 04:29 AM

OT- Power outage in NY. Coincidence?

I am one of the lucky few with electricity tonight. My daughter is
still stuck on a Metro train in NY, trying to get home to Albany.

I hope she returns home safely.
As of now, everything looks pretty calm throughout the City.
Wasn't the case in '77

***News Flash*** NBC just announced a report that lightning struck a
Niagara Mohawk powerplant, causing the cascade. What?????

Funny, the weather records don't show any storm activity near the plant.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/obhistory/KIAG.html

http://www.weathermatrix.net/2003/08...0308141800.gif

[email protected] August 15th 03 06:28 AM

OT- Power outage in NY. Coincidence?

On 14 Aug 2003 18:33:05 -0500, noah
wrote:

I am one of the lucky few with electricity tonight. My daughter is
still stuck on a Metro train in NY, trying to get home to Albany.

***News Flash*** NBC just announced a report that lightning struck a
Niagara Mohawk powerplant, causing the cascade. What?????

Regards from the Great, Dark, Northeast,
noah

i'm sitting here in allentown, PA listening on VHF to the FDNY handle
the situation. as usual, they are doing a great job. they're
reporting the CG tells them there's a fire on governor's island.
these folks really are the best.

---------------------------
to see who "wf3h" is, go to "qrz.com"
and enter 'wf3h' in the field

basskisser August 15th 03 11:43 AM

noah wrote in message . ..
[...]

One thing, even though there has been many, many upgrades through the
years, Niagara Mohawk is one of the oldest grids in the U.S. Also, I
heard the lightning theory also, but the National Weather Service said
the closest lightning strike in the area was hundreds of miles away,
in Maryland.

basskisser August 15th 03 11:45 AM

"Bill Cole" wrote in message .net...
Noah,
This is a perfect example of the kind of info you can expect to read in any
NG, Gould, one of the more knowledgeable boaters in the NG, throws out a
theory that maybe the NE Blackout is the result of a terrorist attack. Is
this accurate, as of now it does not appear to be, but it is a great way to
start a bull**** discussion that will soon evolve into a political
discussion.

It was just a THEORY that Gould threw out there, along with facts that
could possibly point in that direction. Do you have any information to
the contrary, to back up YOUR statement that it is "bull****"?

basskisser August 15th 03 11:48 AM

"Joe" wrote in message .. .
I am one of the lucky few with electricity tonight. My daughter is
still stuck on a Metro train in NY, trying to get home to Albany.

I hope she returns home safely.
As of now, everything looks pretty calm throughout the City.
Wasn't the case in '77

***News Flash*** NBC just announced a report that lightning struck a
Niagara Mohawk powerplant, causing the cascade. What?????

Funny, the weather records don't show any storm activity near the plant.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/obhistory/KIAG.html

http://www.weathermatrix.net/2003/08...0308141800.gif

JoeTechnician,
Seeings how you (you think) are the most intelligent, most sought
after engineer (sic) on the planet, hasn't Bush contacted you to get
to the bottom of this? Or perhaps he realizes you are a liar, and are
busy pulling cable.

Bill Cole August 15th 03 12:52 PM

OT- Power outage in NY. Coincidence?

Bass,
I was not saying that Gould's theory was bull****, nor do I believe that
Gould necessarily supported the theory. I read Gould's post as a way to
promote an off the cuff discussion (which in my neighborhood was called a
shooting the bull, or bull****).

The only info I have is the same as most of the readers in the NG, the power
experts believe that the problem was not the result of terrorist, but was a
combination of natural factors that overwhelmed the system.

Now, if I said that the power failure was the result of Flying Saucers
stealing our power, do you have any proof that my statement is bull****?

"basskisser" wrote in message
om...

noah August 15th 03 02:27 PM

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 03:29:26 GMT, "Joe" wrote:

I am one of the lucky few with electricity tonight. My daughter is
still stuck on a Metro train in NY, trying to get home to Albany.

I hope she returns home safely.
As of now, everything looks pretty calm throughout the City.
Wasn't the case in '77

***News Flash*** NBC just announced a report that lightning struck a
Niagara Mohawk powerplant, causing the cascade. What?????

Funny, the weather records don't show any storm activity near the plant.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/obhistory/KIAG.html

http://www.weathermatrix.net/2003/08...0308141800.gif

Thanks for your good wishes, Joe. My daughter is home, safe and
sound, about 12 hours behind schedule.

noah

Doug Kanter August 15th 03 04:49 PM

"Bill Cole" wrote in message
. net...
Noah,
This is a perfect example of the kind of info you can expect to read in

any
NG, Gould, one of the more knowledgeable boaters in the NG, throws out a
theory that maybe the NE Blackout is the result of a terrorist attack. Is
this accurate, as of now it does not appear to be, but it is a great way

start a bull**** discussion that will soon evolve into a political
discussion.

It's as valid as President Nookular repeating the yet unproven theory that
lightning around the Niagara River caused the blackout. I have friends who
were fishing the river yesterday. No clouds.

Meanwhile: Anyone who's awake has seen news stories about how vulnerable our
infrastructure is because of computer security problems. It is entirely
possible that this blackout WAS caused by terrorists, but not the kinds who
use explosives or airliners. If this is the case, it is also possible that
it is still undetected.

Doug Kanter August 15th 03 04:52 PM

OT- Power outage in NY. Coincidence?

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 19:42:04 -0400, JohnH
wrote:

...snips....

I'm just waiting now for Sen Kennedy to call for guards at every
computer, electrical tower, dam, and river that exists in the USA.

Our mutual contempt for the Kennedys aside....

Would this not be the stated objective of the Office of Homeland
Defense?

It would be, but the tax cut has required the trimming of budgets for many
of the services promised by President Nookular Boy after 9/11.

Gould 0738 August 15th 03 05:03 PM

OT- Power outage in NY. Coincidence?

but the National Weather Service said
the closest lightning strike in the area was hundreds of miles away,
in Maryland.

But....the president repeated that rumor. It must be true. The lightning was
purchased secretly on the international arms market. From Africa.

In the unlikely event that it *was* a terrorist attack, we'd be smart to blame
it on lightning. Take away the credit for the disaster, and the air is let out
of the terrorist balloon double quick.

You want to P off the terrorists? Make sure they stay out of the news.

jps August 15th 03 05:48 PM

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
but the National Weather Service said
the closest lightning strike in the area was hundreds of miles away,
in Maryland.

But....the president repeated that rumor. It must be true. The lightning

was
purchased secretly on the international arms market. From Africa.

In the unlikely event that it *was* a terrorist attack, we'd be smart to

blame
it on lightning. Take away the credit for the disaster, and the air is let

out
of the terrorist balloon double quick.

You want to P off the terrorists? Make sure they stay out of the news.

That would be smart but it certainly wouldn't be the course this
administration would take. You can be certain if there was a whiff of
possibility this could've been attributable to human hands, the White House
would've used the opportunity to bolster poll numbers.

Harry Krause August 16th 03 12:07 AM

OT- Power outage in NY. Coincidence?

JohnH wrote:

I have seen no statement to the effect that the Office of Homeland Defense
desires to spend irresponsibly. In my opinion, the Democrats would do so if they
could.

Well, of course, John...your opinion on every matter is colored by your
personal right-wing extremism. Despite that, you seem a decent guy. But
you'd be so much better if you replaced your blinders with a bit of
sarvodaya and satyagraha, eh.

--
* * *
email sent to will *never* get to me.

JohnH August 16th 03 12:53 AM

OT- Power outage in NY. Coincidence?

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 19:07:45 -0400, Harry Krause
wrote:

JohnH wrote:

I have seen no statement to the effect that the Office of Homeland Defense
desires to spend irresponsibly. In my opinion, the Democrats would do so if they
could.

Well, of course, John...your opinion on every matter is colored by your
personal right-wing extremism. Despite that, you seem a decent guy. But
you'd be so much better if you replaced your blinders with a bit of
sarvodaya and satyagraha, eh.

Harry,
My 'right-wing extremism,' as you describe what you perceive through the shaded
lens of liberalism, has been colored by the inanities I continue to hear spewing
from the mouths of some Democrats.

You questioned my name calling comment in a recent post. That comment was
prompted by:

"The Washington Times?
The Moonie Paper?

Hehehe.

Trash is as trash reads/"

Seems like name-calling to me, but I could be wrong, again.

Respectfully,

Harry Krause August 16th 03 01:06 AM

wrote:

JohnH wrote:

[...]

John...the Washington Times *is* the Moonie paper. It is the propaganda
arm of the Rev. Moon's "Unification Church." One of Moon's zampolit
colonels is at the paper every day, reading every word for political
appropriateness and Moonie correctness, making sure the paper extolls
just the right amount of right-wing doctrine.

Are you claiming the right-wing extremist slant of that rag is not
noticed by you?

--
* * *
email sent to will *never* get to me.

JohnH August 16th 03 02:04 PM

OT- Power outage in NY. Coincidence?

wrote:

JohnH wrote:

[...]

I posted the Wash. Times piece, followed by the equivalent Wash. Post piece on
the same subject, Wal-Mart and retail consumer spending. Both articles said
roughly the same thing. Are you trying to tell me that the Washington Times
article was a lie, but the Washington Post article was not?

Do you consider the Washington Times further right of center than the NY Times
is to the left?

Whether or not I read or only copy articles from the Wash. Times is beside the
point. The point is your calling one "trash" for reading something with which
you apparently disagree, unless your position is supported.

Regards,

Harry Krause August 16th 03 02:16 PM

JohnH wrote:

Do you consider the Washington Times further right of center than the NY Times
is to the left?

Absolutely. The Wash Times is in outer space, and is the propaganda arm
of Rev. Moon.

--
* * *
email sent to will *never* get to me.

JohnH August 16th 03 02:24 PM

OT- Power outage in NY. Coincidence?

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 22:05:52 -0400, Gene Kearns wrote:

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 17:19:46 -0400, JohnH
wrote:

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 20:24:50 -0400, Gene Kearns wrote:

On Thu, 14 Aug 2003 19:42:04 -0400, JohnH
wrote:

...snips....

I'm just waiting now for Sen Kennedy to call for guards at every
computer, electrical tower, dam, and river that exists in the USA.

Our mutual contempt for the Kennedys aside....

Would this not be the stated objective of the Office of Homeland
Defense?

I have seen no statement to the effect that the Office of Homeland Defense
desires to spend irresponsibly. In my opinion, the Democrats would do so if they
could. I firmly believe they would post a guard for every container that enters
the country, as long as the guards could be members of the AFGE.

Check out http://www.whitehouse.gov/homeland/ and see if you think
your 2 Billion Dollars is being well spent.....

My personal views are colored by the fact that I work at an airport
and I see the fruits of the money spent. I am totally underwhelmed...

Gene,

Hell no I don't think the money is well spent. I think the Democrats and their
whining about the "lack of security" have caused money to be wasted, big-time.
My attitude about securing an airplane from being used as a weapon is simple:
Keep the damn cockpit doors closed. Amen. Airplane cannot be used as a weapon
without cockpit access.

The emphasis on finding personal weapons, e.g. knives, box cutters, etc., seems
a waste of time and money. I could do significant damage with a Cross ballpoint
pen up a nose or through an ear drum. Yet, these are not removed from
passengers.

I think federalizing the security folks was a Democrat-pushed idea that the
administration caved under. Why? Heat of the moment, decisions based on urgency
and pressure rather than objective analysis. The Dems love the idea of thousands
of new AFGE members, and a bigger government.

Gould 0738 August 16th 03 04:09 PM

[...]

Good grief, John. You've gone around the bend. Do you suppose the democrats
have
a GWB double? Do you suppose they hog-tied the real president and sent the demo
double up to the microphone at the press conference where GWB anounced the
creation of the Dept of Homeland Security?

Is the Chesapeake cold this time of year? If so, go jump in it and wake up. The
Republican Party has made far more political hay off 9-11 than Al Qaida could
ever dream of. "If we can keep the people afraid, they will pass Patriot Acts
and believe our stories about nuclear threats from third world countries."

And you're about 180 degrees off course on your union noise. One of the things
that Ashcroft did when he brought all those federal departments under the
"homeland security" heading was to eliminate collective bargaining rights for
employees in those departments. It's an emergency, you know. LIkely to go on
for years, or at least until well past the next fear-motivated election.

JohnH August 16th 03 04:36 PM

OT- Power outage in NY. Coincidence?

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 10:58:15 -0400, Gene Kearns wrote:

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 09:24:13 -0400, JohnH
wrote:

[...]

You say, "I have seen no statement to the effect that the Office of
Homeland Defense desires to spend irresponsibly. In my opinion, the
Democrats would do so if they could."

And then you say, "Hell no I don't think the money is well spent. I
think the Democrats and their whining about the "lack of security"
have caused money to be wasted, big-time."

You need to adopt a position other than: Democrats, BAD...
Republicans, GOOD and stick with it.....

You can't blame the Democrats for what the Republicans control. (Not
that they didn't get some of the things they would have wanted,
anyhow.)

You can't keep the cockpit doors closed all of the time... not the way
aircraft are designed. El Al does a pretty good job keeping their
passengers safe.... maybe we could model THEM...... if the modeling
was prevented, then you could pounce on liberal views and gun control
nuts....

The emphasis on finding personal weapons, e.g. knives, box cutters, etc., seems
a waste of time and money. I could do significant damage with a Cross ballpoint
pen up a nose or through an ear drum. Yet, these are not removed from
passengers.

Amen... fingernail clippers, 3/4 inch long nail files, other WMD.....

It goes MUCH deeper than this.... even to the people that are most
frequently "screened"..... the pilots, who, if they want to keep
their jobs must remain mum.....

I think federalizing the security folks was a Democrat-pushed idea that the
administration caved under. Why? Heat of the moment, decisions based on urgency
and pressure rather than objective analysis. The Dems love the idea of thousands
of new AFGE members, and a bigger government.

The situation was fairly stupid, anyway. The Airlines were tasked
with providing security. They bought the cheapest equipment and
personnel they could find to get the job done.... usually through
contractors They did, after all, have a profit motive. With 9/11,
the Federal Government required them to buy equipment and hire
personnel that they simply could not afford to purchase.....
certainly, with nobody flying, fuel prices skyrocketing, and no
revenue being generated.

We already had the FAA which was starved for money. Why didn't we
give *them* the money and personnel to get the job done. During the
Clinton Administration they were cut back so severely that they didn't
have travel budgets sufficient to do adequate routine surveillance.
Mark them as victims, too.... during "orange" alerts, they can't even
let people into the FAA building to transact normal business.....
ever conducted business in a parking lot?

Looking at the whole picture, I see nothing that indicates to me that
the Republicans have done anything different than the Democrats in
taking over another part of American life because they know what is
best for my safety and THEY can do it better because, after all, they
ARE the government..... and don't question ANY of this because it is
a matter of National Security.

Down side of this is that the previous workers have been replaced by
minimum wage types and wholesale firings of these new "affordable"
workers for unsuitability and illegal behavior has been the oft
repeated result.

You've never lived until you have been screened for any threat you
might pose to America and the American people by a guy that doesn't
quite have a grasp of the American Language. He want's to see my
underwear and I want to see his Green Card..... This is especially
aggravating to me, when I know some of the competent, experienced, and
articulate people that this guy replaced.... because he would work
cheaper and was selected by the government over the more experienced
and qualified.

Please don't couch all of this in Democrats, BAD... Republicans, GOOD
rhetoric. Thus far, other that giving me a better sounding reason why
this is "good" for me (and I'm speaking VERY generally) I feel just as
violated by this Republican administration as I did by the Democrats.
I'm not sure Algore would have done things significantly different.
Frankly, that scares and unsettles me.

Amen. They both screwed the pooch on this one. But, I think the Dems pushed in a
little deeper.

Gould 0738 August 16th 03 05:42 PM

OT- Power outage in NY. Coincidence?

Chuck, how many senators voted for the Patriot Act? Thank God for the
elimination of collective bargaining rights for those folk.

John

1. A whalloping majority of Senators. Wasn't it 90-something? Interesting that
the first response of the government in a time of trauma was to curtail civil
rights.
What do we suppose would happen if the terrorists somehow "took over" the US?
Gosh, I bet we'd lose our civil rights.

2. Please get consistent. First, you try to pass off the Department of Homeland
Security as a Democratic conspiracy to increase the number of union jobs. Then,
you "thank God" that the Dept of Homeland Security has suspended collective
bargaining. Does it bother you in any way that you are being thankful for the
complete refuting of your earlier, erroneous, inflammatory and prejudicial
statement?

JohnH August 16th 03 06:02 PM

On 16 Aug 2003 16:42:01 GMT, (Gould 0738) wrote:

[...]

I believe 98 senators voted for the act. This number would include several
Democrats.

No, Chuck, I said, "I think federalizing the security folks was a
Democrat-pushed idea that the administration caved under." By this I meant the
federalizing of the thousands of screening personnel at the airports. Perhaps I
was unclear. I apologize. I think the Department of Homeland Security was a good
idea, as long as it consolidated and made more efficient the operations of the
agencies it subsumed.

I'm not sure to which '...earlier, erroneous, inflammatory and prejudicial
statement' you are referring. Please quote it for me, and I'll let you know if
I'm bothered.

Harry Krause August 16th 03 09:20 PM

OT- Power outage in NY. Coincidence?

JohnH wrote:

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 12:47:07 -0400, Harry Krause
wrote:

JohnH wrote:

Chuck, how many senators voted for the Patriot Act? Thank God for the
elimination of collective bargaining rights for those folk.

John
On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD

That's our John...he'd bring back slavery if he could...

Harry, the difference between being a working slave of a property owner, and a
non-working, welfare-receiving deadbeat lies only in ownership. At least a slave
could go to sleep feeling he had accomplished something during the day.

John
On the 'Poco Loco' out of Deale, MD

There are very few "non-working, welfare-receiving" deadbeats around
these days, John. If you are talking about those who receive AFDC, the
payments are to provide a subsistence existence for children. General
welfare these days mostly is restricted to those incapable of working
because of some medical reason.

--
* * *
email sent to will *never* get to me.

Jim August 16th 03 10:11 PM

wrote:

JohnH wrote:

[...]

What planet do you live on?

Steve Barker August 17th 03 12:47 AM

OT- Power outage in NY. Coincidence?

I was kind of wondering the same thing.

--
Steve (here to have fun) Barker

=======================
Remove the not dot from my address to abuse my email box
"Jim" wrote in message

What planet do you live on?

Steve Dufour August 17th 03 05:05 AM

OT- Power outage in NY. Coincidence?

Within the last couple of days they arrested two guys at the Seattle airport.
One was on the "do not fly" list.
Both had Pakistani passports, and had slipped illegally into the US across the
Candian border at Blaine.

Both guys paid cash for one-way tickets to NY.

Was it a coincidence that they wanted to be in NY this afternoon?
Probably.

If the terrorists could knock out electic power without being caught
wouldn't this be an effective way to blackmail us? Why would they
need to do other stuff?

Jim August 17th 03 01:25 PM

OT- Power outage in NY. Coincidence?

Hey Chuckie, nice try with this attempted link to terrorists. But the sky is not
falling so relax. Have you read the paper the last few days?

Jim August 17th 03 01:29 PM

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
If the terrorists could knock out electic power without being caught
wouldn't this be an effective way to blackmail us? Why would they
need to do other stuff?

Absolutely.

Relax Chuckie. The sky is not falling. There are no terrorists involved in this.
Please take the time to read the paper and get informed.

Gould 0738 August 18th 03 05:21 AM

OT- Power outage in NY. Coincidence?

Relax Chuckie. The sky is not falling. There are no terrorists involved in
this.
Please take the time to read the paper and get informed.

Gee thanks, Jimcrack. You're no smarter than when you were Dennis Compton, are
you? Go back and look at the first post in the thread. The one where I said the
terrorists taken off the flight to NY the day before the balckout was most
likely a "coincidence".

Steve Dufour August 18th 03 06:36 AM

OT- Power outage in NY. Coincidence?

If the terrorists could knock out electic power without being caught
wouldn't this be an effective way to blackmail us? Why would they
need to do other stuff?

Absolutely.

Two points:

1. If the power outage was terrorism the USA could be quickly defeated
in this way alone. But I don't think it was terrorism, I hope not
anyway.

2. Why are we talking about this in rec.boats? :-)

Curtis CCR August 18th 03 07:44 AM

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message ...
"basskisser" wrote in message
om...

Also, I
heard the lightning theory also, but the National Weather Service said
the closest lightning strike in the area was hundreds of miles away,
in Maryland.

But....the president repeated that rumor. It must be true. The lightning was
purchased secretly on the international arms market. From Africa.

I heard him refer one time to a lightning strike, and mentioned that
it was not substantiated. Later on during the same remarks, he
sounded as if he was going to mention it again, but then seemed to
change his wording to something more generic. He was not running
around repeating rumors of a lightning strike.

basskisser August 18th 03 03:00 PM

OT- Power outage in NY. Coincidence?

"Bill Cole" wrote in message .net...
Bass,
I was not saying that Gould's theory was bull****, nor do I believe that
Gould necessarily supported the theory. I read Gould's post as a way to
promote an off the cuff discussion (which in my neighborhood was called a
shooting the bull, or bull****).

The only info I have is the same as most of the readers in the NG, the power
experts believe that the problem was not the result of terrorist, but was a
combination of natural factors that overwhelmed the system.

Now, if I said that the power failure was the result of Flying Saucers
stealing our power, do you have any proof that my statement is bull****?

I wouldn't totally discount it, until all of the facts were in,
especially when there were some circumstances that did seem out of
place. As it were, they weren't connected, but at the time Gould put
that theory out, it wasn't out of the realm of possiblility.

Bill Cole August 18th 03 03:20 PM

OT- Power outage in NY. Coincidence?

OK,
so you do agree that Gould's theory was a way of promoting a discussion on
the power outage just to chat about it, not necessarily that there was any
facts for anyone to base any theory on. So he was just trying to shoot the
bull or have a bull**** discussion concerning the power outage.

I can go along with that.

"basskisser" wrote in message
om...

.net...

Jim August 18th 03 03:39 PM

"Bill Cole" wrote in message

[...]

Agreed, and it was therefore ridiculous for Chuck to throw out a theory without knowing
the facts.

Gould 0738 August 18th 03 04:28 PM

OT- Power outage in NY. Coincidence?

Agreed, and it was therefore ridiculous for Chuck to throw out a theory
without knowing
the facts.

No "theory" was thrown out.
guys had been arrested in Seattle, bound for NY, the day before the blackout.
Followed by a comment that it was probably a coincidence.

By the way, the discussion of theory is one avenue by which to determine and
evaluate facts. Scientists do it all the time.
To state that it is silly to advance a theory without knowing all the facts is
to state that it is always silly to advance a theory.

Bill Cole August 18th 03 10:19 PM

OT- Power outage in NY. Coincidence?

Chuck,
The discussion of theory is part of the scientific process, but do you
believe that any theory has ever been discussed in rec.boats where a general
consensus has been reached? Especially one that involved a terrorist
conspiracy and/or government cover-up. If so, that is a major milestone.

Wasn't your post really designed to provide a venue for shooting the bull,
while we waited for the newspapers and TV's to tell us what was the cause of
the power outage. That is the real purpose for rec.boats, sort of like a
bunch of neighbor getting together to discuss things they have no knowledge
of, and solve the world's problems.

If we ever decide wither or not Bayliner is the best boat in the world or
the worst piece of ****, ever to be thrust on the public, maybe we can move
onto solving the middle east crisis.

"Gould 0738" wrote in message
Agreed, and it was therefore ridiculous for Chuck to throw out a theory
without knowing
the facts.

No "theory" was thrown out.

two