s o

Default boat registration without pink slip in CA.

Hi all,

I planned on buying an old small fiberglass boat with an outboard on it
for about $400. The seller has no title or paperwork whatsoever. I
called dmv and they said bring in a bill of sale(like an invoice) and
they'll decide whether I could register it. Has anyone had similar
experience? how else can I get it registered? thanks.

s o

RCE

"s o" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all,

I planned on buying an old small fiberglass boat with an outboard on it
for about $400. The seller has no title or paperwork whatsoever. I
called dmv and they said bring in a bill of sale(like an invoice) and
they'll decide whether I could register it. Has anyone had similar
experience? how else can I get it registered? thanks.

s o

Don't know about California, but many states, including mine (MA) won't
allow registration or issuance of a title without a seller's title. True for
boats and autos/trucks. It used to be that if it was more than some
number of years old, you could register and title with a bill of sale. No
longer. No good reason for this, except it's another way to make sure
everybody has paid sales taxes, over and over and over.

It seems like there used to be a title requirement exception if the boat was
less than so many feet (11?) , but I think that rule has gone by the wayside
also.

RCE

s o wrote:
Hi all,

I planned on buying an old small fiberglass boat with an outboard on it
for about $400. The seller has no title or paperwork whatsoever. I
called dmv and they said bring in a bill of sale(like an invoice) and
they'll decide whether I could register it. Has anyone had similar
experience? how else can I get it registered? thanks.

I have a buddy that years ago bought a boat in CA with the pink slip
promised later. The pink never showed and money was owed on the boat.
Someone suggested he collect receipts from hardware and lumber stores
and claim he built the boat to DMV. He did and it worked. They assigned
new CF numbers.

Just so we're clear, this is illegal. Any boat with an outboard
attached in CA must have CF numbers unless you have a lake on your
property. Good luck.

-phish

Chuck Tribolet

Message:

1. Never give money without the title.

2. Even you own the lake, in California, it has to be registered, See the third item in
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/boatsinfo/boatreg.htm

3. CA DMV seems more interested in getting the sales tax, making sure you didn't
screw the state on the price, and establishing a paper trail in case it later turns up stolen.
That makes sense.

Chuck Tribolet wrote:
Message:

1. Never give money without the title.

2. Even you own the lake, in California, it has to be registered, See the third item in
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/boatsinfo/boatreg.htm

This doesn't surprise me. They use aerial photos to find additions
built without permits. If they saw a boat in your own private lake and
none listed at your address, they'd give you a call.

3. CA DMV seems more interested in getting the sales tax, making sure you didn't
screw the state on the price, and establishing a paper trail in case it later turns up stolen.
That makes sense.

You missed a really big one. Property taxes. I don't think all counties
charge PT on boats but mine sticks me once a year. Still wouldn't live
anywhere else.

-phish

Calif Bill

"s o" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi all,

I planned on buying an old small fiberglass boat with an outboard on it
for about $400. The seller has no title or paperwork whatsoever. I
called dmv and they said bring in a bill of sale(like an invoice) and
they'll decide whether I could register it. Has anyone had similar
experience? how else can I get it registered? thanks.

s o

Before purchasing, figure out how long since it was registered in California
if at all. The state never forgives registration fees, and they add 50%
penalty.

Chuck Tribolet

DMV doesn't really care about property taxes. That county turf, and the county works
hard to figure out if you have restored your boat. There was quite a questionaire from
the Santa Clara County Tax Collector this year.

But I don't think the property tax is too bad: $115 last year on my 97ish Boston Whaler.

"Chuck Tribolet" wrote in message
DMV doesn't really care about property taxes. That county turf, and the
county works
hard to figure out if you have restored your boat. There was quite a
questionaire from
the Santa Clara County Tax Collector this year.

But I don't think the property tax is too bad: $115 last year on my 97ish
Boston Whaler.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Chuck Tribolet wrote:
[...]

There is a cutoff on the tax bills being sent out. since the rate is about
2% of value, cheap boats do not get taxed. Cost more to bill than they get.
My 14' Valco boat never got a tax bill, after I filled out the
questionnaire. they sent out the notice before I had bought a motor for it,
so the value was the $800 I paid for it new. 1986. My Jetcraft gets an $85
assessement..

Chuck Tribolet wrote:
DMV doesn't really care about property taxes. That county turf, and the county works
hard to figure out if you have restored your boat.

My friend didn't claim he restored the boat. He told them he built the
boat from the ground up. Lumber, fiberglass and marine supply store
receipts. Like I said, it was many years ago. I'm sure they would be a
little more picky these days.

I do know they always want to know where the boat is stored if
different than your home address. Makes the aerial pictures over the
private lake doable. No boats listed at the address and they'll give
you a call.

There was quite a questionaire from the Santa Clara County Tax Collector this year.

Got it too. I expect them to drop their appraisal of my boat. It's a
fishing boat and I work it hard.

But I don't think the property tax is too bad: $115 last year on my 97ish Boston Whaler.

Nope, not too bad. I pay $69 a month just to keep mine in (outdoor)
storage.

-phish