Chuck Tribolet

Default boat registration without pink slip in CA.

DMV doesn't really care about property taxes. That county turf, and the county works
hard to figure out if you have restored your boat. There was quite a questionaire from
the Santa Clara County Tax Collector this year.

But I don't think the property tax is too bad: $115 last year on my 97ish Boston Whaler.

wrote in message oups.com...
Chuck Tribolet wrote:
Message:

1. Never give money without the title.

2. Even you own the lake, in California, it has to be registered, See the third item in
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/boatsinfo/boatreg.htm

This doesn't surprise me. They use aerial photos to find additions
built without permits. If they saw a boat in your own private lake and
none listed at your address, they'd give you a call.

3. CA DMV seems more interested in getting the sales tax, making sure you didn't
screw the state on the price, and establishing a paper trail in case it later turns up stolen.
That makes sense.

You missed a really big one. Property taxes. I don't think all counties
charge PT on boats but mine sticks me once a year. Still wouldn't live
anywhere else.

-phish