Melandre

Default Where exactly to mount fishfinder's transducer on transom?

In the fall, I bought a FF Garmin 120 and been procrastinating all
winter regarding installing it. Now I want to put the boat back in the
water so it is time to get on with it !

I am looking at the instruction sheet but because it is in 2D instead
of 3D, it is hard to tell from the picture where the tranducer should
be (relative to the bottom of the transom).

Should it be:
1) flush with the bottom of the transom?
2) an inch or more above the bottom of the transom?
3) an inch or more below the bottom of the transom?

Some of the guidelines provided:
"The transducer has to be located in clean (non-turbulent water). The
transducer should be located as near the centre of the boat as
possible"

"Mount the tranducer parallel with the water line" (this is one that I
find confusing since the picture with this caption points to the
bottomof the transom).

"Make sure the transducer is below water level when the boat is on
plane at full speed" (Make sense!)

Comments? Andre

JIMinFL

Mount the bottom of the xducer flush to the bottom and tilted down 5
degrees. Must be parallel to the transom waterline. Ideally 2 feet or more
from the prop centerline. Must be under water at all times. Must not be in
the path of turbulent water.
Jim
"Melandre" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

basskisser

Melandre wrote:
[...]

I went here, and the instructions seem perfectly clear:
http://www.garmin.com/manuals/FishFi...StartGuide.pdf

And, it's exactly how I mounted mine, parallel to the water line, and
the corner of the transducer just below the lowest point on the
transom, ie: the one corner of the transducer that is toward the center
of the boat needs to be just below the bottom of the transom, again,
just exactly like the picture in the link above.

Doug Kanter

"Melandre" wrote in message
oups.com...
In the fall, I bought a FF Garmin 120 and been procrastinating all
winter regarding installing it. Now I want to put the boat back in the
water so it is time to get on with it !

I am looking at the instruction sheet but because it is in 2D instead
of 3D, it is hard to tell from the picture where the tranducer should
be (relative to the bottom of the transom).

Should it be:
1) flush with the bottom of the transom?
2) an inch or more above the bottom of the transom?
3) an inch or more below the bottom of the transom?

Some of the guidelines provided:
"The transducer has to be located in clean (non-turbulent water). The
transducer should be located as near the centre of the boat as
possible"

Sometimes (as with my boat), it's not possible to find a spot that's not
near non-turbulent water. So, I can't trust any of my readings above a
certain speed.

"Mount the tranducer parallel with the water line" (this is one that I
find confusing since the picture with this caption points to the
bottomof the transom).

They really do mean parallel to the water line.

Although the instructions suggest that this installation is neat and
orderly, it's really not. First, you can't get a good idea of position when
you're leaning over the back of the boat. A better way is to anchor in
shallow water, jump in, and make the necessary marks on the transom with
nobody in the boat. Or, lean over the edge of the dock. Whatever works.

My fishfinder's bracket has elongated holes for the mounting screws, so the
unit can be slid up & down for fine adjustment. Even so, I wanted more
"travel", in case I needed to move the thing more than the length of those
holes. So, I mounted a piece of Starboard (plastic, sort of like the white
cutting boards for kitchen use) to the transom, and made elongated holes in
that. This way, I only had to drill the transom once. Between the two sets
of elongated holes, I have almost 4" of adjustment available.

Calif Bill

"Melandre" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Get a transducer mounting plate first, or make one.
http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...=SearchResults
item number 38-537-954-00 is one. Cabelas probably carries one also. Over
the years I have changed FF brands a couple of times. Mount parallel to
the water line, normally on the right side of the boat. Make sure the front
of the transducer is a little higher than the back of the ducer, maybe 1/8"
and the complete transducer is below the bottom of the boat. And not in
line with any of the strakes.

Melandre

Thanks for all the responses already (that ws quick!). I think I get
the idea as to where to mount it which brings me to my next question:

I am a bit freaked out about putting screws in the transom below the
water line. Is it possible to attach (with screws) the transducer to a
hard plastic (like a thin cutting board as someone suggested) and then
use above water/below water marine clue to secure it to the transom?
Or am I just suffering from unjustified paranoia (hey! it is a brand
new 2006 boat so not keen about putting holes in it!).

Andre

Doug Kanter

"Melandre" wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks for all the responses already (that ws quick!). I think I get
the idea as to where to mount it which brings me to my next question:

I am a bit freaked out about putting screws in the transom below the
water line. Is it possible to attach (with screws) the transducer to a
hard plastic (like a thin cutting board as someone suggested) and then
use above water/below water marine clue to secure it to the transom?
Or am I just suffering from unjustified paranoia (hey! it is a brand
new 2006 boat so not keen about putting holes in it!).

Andre

Unjustified paranoia. Get to a boat store and pick up some nice caulking
stuff in a tube. Make the screw holes slightly larger than the screws so the
shaft of each screw can be completely surrounded in caulk. I did this 6
years ago through my aluminum hull, and there's been absolutely no leaking.

basskisser

Melandre wrote:
Thanks for all the responses already (that ws quick!). I think I get
the idea as to where to mount it which brings me to my next question:

I am a bit freaked out about putting screws in the transom below the
water line. Is it possible to attach (with screws) the transducer to a
hard plastic (like a thin cutting board as someone suggested) and then
use above water/below water marine clue to secure it to the transom?
Or am I just suffering from unjustified paranoia (hey! it is a brand
new 2006 boat so not keen about putting holes in it!).

Andre

Don't be freaked out about it. The screws are small, so the hole is
small. When you predrill the hole, for the self tapping screw, don't
drill too big, fill the hole with caulk before you put the screw in. It
will never leak.

Doug Kanter

"basskisser" wrote in message
oups.com...

Melandre wrote:
Thanks for all the responses already (that ws quick!). I think I get
the idea as to where to mount it which brings me to my next question:

I am a bit freaked out about putting screws in the transom below the
water line. Is it possible to attach (with screws) the transducer to a
hard plastic (like a thin cutting board as someone suggested) and then
use above water/below water marine clue to secure it to the transom?
Or am I just suffering from unjustified paranoia (hey! it is a brand
new 2006 boat so not keen about putting holes in it!).

Andre

Don't be freaked out about it. The screws are small, so the hole is
small. When you predrill the hole, for the self tapping screw, don't
drill too big, fill the hole with caulk before you put the screw in. It
will never leak.

I didn't see him mention what type of hull he had. If it's single-layer
aluminum, for instance, he might want to use small bolts with acorn nuts and
the appropriate washers. Otherwise, he's going to have sharp screws sticking
inward and snagging on things, or feet.

Bishoop

"Melandre" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

On the off chance that your boat hull is fiber glass, mount it inside on the
hull. That method is far superior to any transom mount.

It will NOT work with a metal hull.