Doug Kanter

Default Where exactly to mount fishfinder's transducer on transom?

"basskisser" wrote in message
oups.com...

Melandre wrote:
Thanks for all the responses already (that ws quick!). I think I get
the idea as to where to mount it which brings me to my next question:

I am a bit freaked out about putting screws in the transom below the
water line. Is it possible to attach (with screws) the transducer to a
hard plastic (like a thin cutting board as someone suggested) and then
use above water/below water marine clue to secure it to the transom?
Or am I just suffering from unjustified paranoia (hey! it is a brand
new 2006 boat so not keen about putting holes in it!).

Andre

Don't be freaked out about it. The screws are small, so the hole is
small. When you predrill the hole, for the self tapping screw, don't
drill too big, fill the hole with caulk before you put the screw in. It
will never leak.

I didn't see him mention what type of hull he had. If it's single-layer
aluminum, for instance, he might want to use small bolts with acorn nuts and
the appropriate washers. Otherwise, he's going to have sharp screws sticking
inward and snagging on things, or feet.