Doug Kanter

Default Where exactly to mount fishfinder's transducer on transom?

"Bishoop" wrote in message

"Melandre" wrote in message
oups.com...
In the fall, I bought a FF Garmin 120 and been procrastinating all
winter regarding installing it. Now I want to put the boat back in the
water so it is time to get on with it !

I am looking at the instruction sheet but because it is in 2D instead
of 3D, it is hard to tell from the picture where the tranducer should
be (relative to the bottom of the transom).

Should it be:
1) flush with the bottom of the transom?
2) an inch or more above the bottom of the transom?
3) an inch or more below the bottom of the transom?

Some of the guidelines provided:
"The transducer has to be located in clean (non-turbulent water). The
transducer should be located as near the centre of the boat as
possible"

"Mount the tranducer parallel with the water line" (this is one that I
find confusing since the picture with this caption points to the
bottomof the transom).

"Make sure the transducer is below water level when the boat is on
plane at full speed" (Make sense!)

Comments? Andre

On the off chance that your boat hull is fiber glass, mount it inside on
the hull. That method is far superior to any transom mount.

It will NOT work with a metal hull.

Don't forget to tell him that's will need a different transducer for this
method.

Melandre

Inside??? Isn't it supposed to touch the water somehow? Does the
accuracy suffer? The boat has a fiberglass haul: it is just your
typical 18" Bayliner runabout with I/O Mercruiser... Nothing fancy.
Andre

MGG

On my last boat, I mounted it inside and it worked great. You *may* need a
different type transducer though...read the instructions.

If you want to mount it inside, it's best to test a few locations first to
see what works best. I did this by filling the bilge w/ enough water to
cover the unit, then I weighed it down with some ankle weights. Go cruising
and see how it works. If need be, move it to a new location and try again.
Once you find a nice spot, mark it and pump out the water. Mounting it is
done with SLOW set epoxy, and a large amount of it. It's important that you
use slow set (4 hrs or longer) as it will release any air bubbles caught in
the mix during the slow curing time. If there's any air between the
transducer or the hull, accuracy will suffer or it won't work at all. That
is why you need to submerse it in water in the bilge while testing.

Hope that helps a bit.

--Mike

"Melandre" wrote in message
ups.com...
Inside??? Isn't it supposed to touch the water somehow? Does the
accuracy suffer? The boat has a fiberglass haul: it is just your
typical 18" Bayliner runabout with I/O Mercruiser... Nothing fancy.
Andre

Bishoop

"MGG" wrote in message
et...
[...]

"Melandre" wrote in message
ups.com...
Inside??? Isn't it supposed to touch the water somehow? Does the
accuracy suffer? The boat has a fiberglass haul: it is just your
typical 18" Bayliner runabout with I/O Mercruiser... Nothing fancy.
Andre

Good tutorial on installing the transducer inside a fiber glass hull.

I highly recommend installing it using that technique.

One caveat though, if the transducer is equipped with a temperature sensing
device it will measure the temp of the hull surface it's attached to, not
the water.

MGG

One caveat though, if the transducer is equipped with a temperature
sensing

device it will measure the temp of the hull surface it's attached to, not
the water.

Excellent point.

--Mike

"Bishoop" wrote in message

[...]