Calif Bill

Default Bashing Bayliners today.

Out of Santa Barbara, a 27' Bayliner was attacked by a Grey Whale. It
breeched on the boat and then came back and hit it 2 more times. Knocked
the top of the cabin off the boat, and broke a passengers ribs. They said
it was a Grey and not a humpback.

thunder

On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 06:30:18 +0000, Calif Bill wrote:

Out of Santa Barbara, a 27' Bayliner was attacked by a Grey Whale. It
breeched on the boat and then came back and hit it 2 more times. Knocked
the top of the cabin off the boat, and broke a passengers ribs. They said
it was a Grey and not a humpback.

Nothing about Bayliners, but I've always wondered about whale strikes.
They definitely seem to be more than coincidence. It gives me pause when
thinking about fiberglass, or wood for that matter, offshore.

Wayne.B

On Fri, 03 Feb 2006 11:37:36 GMT, Shortwave Sportfishing
wrote:

nuke the whales!!!!

and jane fonda!!!

You're not fonda jane ?

Somewhere in my archives I have a picture of a 50 ft whale clean out
of the water, nothing touching. It was taken north of Cape Cod from
my old 34 ft sailboat, and the whale was probably less than 300 ft
away at the time. It was pretty cool to watch but then you start
thinking about what happens if the whale comes down on the boat.

Of course most of us have been saying all along that Bayliner's don't
really belong offshore and are not all that well built.

Guess that proves it. :-)

Bryan

"Calif Bill" wrote in message
ink.net...
Out of Santa Barbara, a 27' Bayliner was attacked by a Grey Whale. It
breeched on the boat and then came back and hit it 2 more times. Knocked
the top of the cabin off the boat, and broke a passengers ribs. They said
it was a Grey and not a humpback.

Bill,
Why is it important that it was a grey and not a humpback? Or maybe that
part is just some humor that went over my head.

Bryan

wrote:

nuke the whales!!!!

and jane fonda!!!

You're not fonda jane ?

Somewhere in my archives I have a picture of a 50 ft whale clean out
of the water, nothing touching. It was taken north of Cape Cod from
my old 34 ft sailboat, and the whale was probably less than 300 ft
away at the time. It was pretty cool to watch but then you start
thinking about what happens if the whale comes down on the boat.

Of course most of us have been saying all along that Bayliner's don't
really belong offshore and are not all that well built.

Guess that proves it. :-)

Post the photo, please.
Thanks.

Calif Bill wrote:
Out of Santa Barbara, a 27' Bayliner was attacked by a Grey Whale. It
breeched on the boat and then came back and hit it 2 more times. Knocked
the top of the cabin off the boat, and broke a passengers ribs. They said
it was a Grey and not a humpback.

While that whale was indeed doing some "bashing" of a Bayliner, I'm
really surprised that
any 27-foot boat could withstand the onslaught of an aggressive Gray
Whale. I just checked another site, and learned that adult Gray's are
about 50-feet long and weigh
72,000 pounds.

The fact that boat remained afloat at all, after being walloped with a
72,000 pound impact that has to be way outside the design parameters,
is actually a good thing. The Bayliner dealers can make some hay from
this one. Sorry about the guy's broken ribs- been there, done that, and
it will hurt like hell for a couple of weeks.

Brisk Sailing Today Bart Senior ASA 0 January 28th 06 08:01 PM
I went boating today, sort of ... Bryan General 19 January 24th 06 07:57 PM
25 years ago today... [email protected] General 0 December 8th 05 10:43 PM
I'm not sailing today Capt. Rob ASA 9 November 7th 05 11:15 PM
Sailing Today Capt. Rob ASA 0 November 3rd 05 01:30 AM