Bryan

Default I went boating today, sort of ...

Beautiful day in Northern California. Blue Skies. Very light winds.
Mid-afternoon temps in 60's. So I prepped my Sea Ray 185 and my wife fixed
me a turkey, cheddar, avocado, and mayonnaise sandwich on an onion roll (my
picnic basket turned out to include chips, soda, water, and a Hostess
cupcake). She's a good wife.

Well, it was a great drive through vineyards, orchards, and hills thick with
rich green colors and some mountains in the background dusted with snow. I
was driving to a lake I've never launched at, Lake Mendocino (Bill McKee
knows the lake). It was such a nice day and I assumed the lake would have
minimal traffic today. I just wanted to drive my boat around for awhile.
As soon as the lake was in view, I knew it would be great: I was going to
have the whole lake all to myself - not a boat in sight!

Much to my surprise, when I rolled down to the launch ramp I noticed the
complete absence of boat trailers. Finally, there it was, the sign: Lake
Closed Due to Flooding and Hazardous Debris. Well, so much for a nice 75
mile Sunday drive.

I thought I would salvage the day and stop at the lake closest to my house
on my way home. I saw lots of boats coming and going on the road to Lake
Sonoma, so I was glad for the chance to get the boat in the water, but not
looking forward to a crowded ramp. Not a problem. When I pulled onto the
ramp, again, not a boat in sight! The cables to the dock had broken so
there was no dock for me to tie off to for my solo launch.

Well, a nice 175 mile Sunday drive with a boat tied to my tail and not a
drop of water. You gotta love it. I did get something tangible out of the
trip: now I know what my gas mileage is when I'm towing the boat; 12.5 mpg.

Here's to the next sunny day free of any responsibilities.

JohnH

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 00:26:37 GMT, "Bryan" wrote:

[...]

Now *that's* a sad story. I went to a fishing show up in Maryland. Listened
to a talk by one of the renowned striper fisherman in the area who gave a
couple of good tips on trolling techniques. Then went down to the various
stalls to check out the prices this year. Not bad. Picked up a few Bass
Assassins for jigging and casting, and ordered a set of rod holders. These
are aluminum, fit into a side rod holder and hold two rods each. Much
better than clamping rod holders to side rails.

Not a fantastic day, but perhaps better than yours. The Mustang, without a
trailer, got about 21.5 mpg. So I can't complain.
--
John H

******Have a spectacular day!******
Eisboch

"Bryan" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Bummer. Should have kept heading east and visited Derby, Kansas.

Eisboch

JohnH

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 20:03:10 -0500, Harry Krause
wrote:

JohnH wrote:
[...]

Up at the horsie center? I went yesterday. I couldn't believe the prices
on those edgewaters.

Didn't look at them.
--
John H

******Have a spectacular day!******
Bryan

wrote:

a turkey, cheddar, avocado, and mayonnaise sandwich on an onion roll...

eeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Try it, you'll like it.

Bryan

"Eisboch" wrote in message

"Bryan" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Someday. Maybe. While I'm out visiting Party Cove at Lake of The Ozarks.

Wayne.B

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 20:01:26 -0500, "Eisboch" wrote:

Bummer. Should have kept heading east and visited Derby, Kansas.

Nah, way past there, all the way to FL.

We spent the weekend on the boat, nothing too ambitious but a nice
cruise over to Sanibel Island on Saturday morning, Saturday night
moored behind Ft Myers Beach, and a Sunday morning dinghy cruise
through the back side of Estero Bay. Very windy today but warm and
sunny, can't beat that for a January weekend.

Calif Bill

wrote:

a turkey, cheddar, avocado, and mayonnaise sandwich on an onion roll...

eeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Cures RA.
I thought about the boat, as I ripped out the old deck in back of the house.
30 year old redwood. Substructure is shot. Was in the Napa Valley Friday
and Saturday. Our kids gave us a trip on the Napa Wine Train. delicious,
well presented food, no sandwich. A seared Ahi appetizer, with a stuffed
pepper for a salad, and followed by a beautifully done Filet. With a
Chocolate Pot Pie desert. Each course accompanied by a local Merlot. Was
the Merlot Varietal dinner. one good merlot, one not so good and a great
one. And with a night at the Elm House B&B, I have scored many boat points.
Saturday we visited the Copia wine center and museum. The way a museum
should be. Interactive exhibits, and wine and food tastings. Drove wife's
car, and have no idea what the mileage was. Probably 18-19 mpg overall.
Today, spent 4 boat bucks for new pressure treated lumber for the new deck
substructure. Bay look beautiful on TV.

Bryan

ink.net...

wrote:

[...]

I was thinking of how beautiful our area can be to visitors, especially
dependent on where they are from; there are many great places and each with
it's own flavor. My only regrets for this part of the country are the
greens fade to soon to browns (pleasing in their own rights) and the warm
water summer starts too late and ends too soon. While I was on my way back
from my attempt at Lake Sonoma I was tempted to stop any one of the several
Dry Creek Rd. wineries for a taste, but thought better of it without a
designated driver on hand. If you can find it, try a Greg Norman Cabernet
Merlot, especially with rib eye steak marinated in something a little spicy;
you might like it.

And, my redwood deck needs replacing as well. I'm flipping back and forth
between a concrete patio and a redwood deck replacement. I started to tear
it out last summer, but we bought the boat and ...