JohnH

Default I went boating today, sort of ...

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 00:26:37 GMT, "Bryan" wrote:

Beautiful day in Northern California. Blue Skies. Very light winds.
Mid-afternoon temps in 60's. So I prepped my Sea Ray 185 and my wife fixed
me a turkey, cheddar, avocado, and mayonnaise sandwich on an onion roll (my
picnic basket turned out to include chips, soda, water, and a Hostess
cupcake). She's a good wife.

Well, it was a great drive through vineyards, orchards, and hills thick with
rich green colors and some mountains in the background dusted with snow. I
was driving to a lake I've never launched at, Lake Mendocino (Bill McKee
knows the lake). It was such a nice day and I assumed the lake would have
minimal traffic today. I just wanted to drive my boat around for awhile.
As soon as the lake was in view, I knew it would be great: I was going to
have the whole lake all to myself - not a boat in sight!

Much to my surprise, when I rolled down to the launch ramp I noticed the
complete absence of boat trailers. Finally, there it was, the sign: Lake
Closed Due to Flooding and Hazardous Debris. Well, so much for a nice 75
mile Sunday drive.

I thought I would salvage the day and stop at the lake closest to my house
on my way home. I saw lots of boats coming and going on the road to Lake
Sonoma, so I was glad for the chance to get the boat in the water, but not
looking forward to a crowded ramp. Not a problem. When I pulled onto the
ramp, again, not a boat in sight! The cables to the dock had broken so
there was no dock for me to tie off to for my solo launch.

Well, a nice 175 mile Sunday drive with a boat tied to my tail and not a
drop of water. You gotta love it. I did get something tangible out of the
trip: now I know what my gas mileage is when I'm towing the boat; 12.5 mpg.

Here's to the next sunny day free of any responsibilities.

Now *that's* a sad story. I went to a fishing show up in Maryland. Listened
to a talk by one of the renowned striper fisherman in the area who gave a
couple of good tips on trolling techniques. Then went down to the various
stalls to check out the prices this year. Not bad. Picked up a few Bass
Assassins for jigging and casting, and ordered a set of rod holders. These
are aluminum, fit into a side rod holder and hold two rods each. Much
better than clamping rod holders to side rails.

Not a fantastic day, but perhaps better than yours. The Mustang, without a
trailer, got about 21.5 mpg. So I can't complain.
--
John H

******Have a spectacular day!******