posted to rec.boats.paddle
Ivan

Default Kevlar canoe - minor bow repair

I've been playing 'ice breaker' a bit too enthusiastically in my Wenonah
Voyager and now there are two patches at the bow where the ice has worn
through the skin coat and bits of kevlar weave are showing.

Probably too small to cause a drop in hull speed, and I am pretty sure it
won't affect waterproofing of the front buoyancy chamber either, but
cosmetically it isn't great and I'd like to fix it and then declare my ice
breaking days over once and for all. (Or maybe I need a kevlar strip at the
bow to protect the, er, kevlar.)

As you can probably tell I have no experience working with laminates
whatsoever. Is it just a case of daubing some vinyl ester resin onto the
kevlar weave, waiting for it to cure and then maybe filing the end result
into shape?

Which tools and materials will I need and where can small quantities be
sourced from at a reasonable price?

Grateful for any advice,

posted to rec.boats.paddle
jude

Call kevlar and find out the particular resin or plastic, the chemistry
part. then call complete sculptor in nyc (find # on internet) for
technical info. I am a sculptor and they have a tech line. Wear gloves,
and respirator when working with any of these materials.

posted to rec.boats.paddle

Check out this site: http://www.redrockstore.com/canoepatch.html

You'll probably have to substitute vinylester resin for epoxy resin in
your case.

posted to rec.boats.paddle

Either way you may want to seal up that hole to the kevlar befor water
gets in there and freezes. That will cause expantion and more of the
laminates will start to shed or flake off.
Kevlar bow strips are available. I think I would get some of that stuff
if you are going to immitate a Coast Guard ice breaker.
I feel your pain. I used ny NDK kayak to take rock samples from a local
cliff face Jan 1 and have the same work to do but a little more of it.
Mine leaks..... Yuk.
You know its only the likes us us that have this problem. In most
circles when you talk about an ice breaker , or breaking the ice it is
normally done with.... " You hair is quite beautifull, the highlights
set off your eyes," sunsiquent cost a glass of wine, perhaps a bottle
if things go well......

Extended cost's Three kids one headed to university next year, three ,
no four people wanting to take the car, and extended bunch of inlaws.
ARRG!!!
Oh, I have a son who likes to paddle.... Thank God!

posted to rec.boats.paddle
Marsh Jones

Ivan wrote:

Ivan, depending on where you live, you'll need to find the following:
fiberglass cloth, 4-6oz weave.
Polyester resin NOT EPOXY!!!
Sandpaper - 150grit for presanding, and 200-400-600 for finish
Heavy duty saran wrap.
painters tape
disposable paint brush
ambient temp 65-75 degrees NO COLDER

A little acetone might be nice too, but if the boat is clean don't bother.

1. clean damaged areas well, and dry thoroughly
2. sand damaged area lightly - but not enough to fuzz the kevlar
3. cut cloth to fit over the damage and a little more. If you've
damaged the very nose end, you may need to shape and cut gussets in the
material to get it to lay flat
4. mix the resin per mfg instructions. Mix a little more than you
think you'll need
5. brush a very thin coat over the section to be repaired
6. carefully lay the glass into the resin, dabbing with the brush to
make it lay down smoothly
7. completely wet out the glass, taking care not to let it run. work
rapidly, because you've only got a few minutes before it kicks. clean up
any runs or drips with a clean rag.
8. when it starts to kick (your resin cup will begin to feel warm),
cover the area with the saran wrap, and smooth it carefully, making
*sure* to get out any wrinkles. tape it down tight. You just saved
about an hour of sanding.
9. Let it dry for an hour or so, remove the saran wrap.
10. Sand with progressively finer grit sandpaper, taking care not to
sand thru to the kevlar.

Go paddle your boat!

Marsh
www.kettercanoeing.com
Wenonah Dealer/Distributor

[...]

posted to rec.boats.paddle
Mike

"Marsh Jones" wrote in message
. ..
Ivan wrote:

Marsh, Good directions for the bow repair!!
Also if you cut the fiberglass patch on the bias it fits the bow curves a
bit better.
Mike

rec.boats.paddle sea kayaking FAQ [email protected] General 0 January 18th 06 05:48 AM
Canoe Chairs [email protected] General 6 January 1st 06 05:09 AM
rec.boats.paddle sea kayaking FAQ [email protected] General 0 December 19th 05 05:37 AM