Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
posted to rec.boats.paddle
Ivan

Default Kevlar canoe - minor bow repair

I've been playing 'ice breaker' a bit too enthusiastically in my Wenonah
Voyager and now there are two patches at the bow where the ice has worn
through the skin coat and bits of kevlar weave are showing.

Probably too small to cause a drop in hull speed, and I am pretty sure it
won't affect waterproofing of the front buoyancy chamber either, but
cosmetically it isn't great and I'd like to fix it and then declare my ice
breaking days over once and for all. (Or maybe I need a kevlar strip at the
bow to protect the, er, kevlar.)

As you can probably tell I have no experience working with laminates
whatsoever. Is it just a case of daubing some vinyl ester resin onto the
kevlar weave, waiting for it to cure and then maybe filing the end result
into shape?

Which tools and materials will I need and where can small quantities be
sourced from at a reasonable price?

Grateful for any advice,

rec.boats.paddle sea kayaking FAQ [email protected] General 0 January 18th 06 05:48 AM
Canoe Chairs [email protected] General 6 January 1st 06 05:09 AM
rec.boats.paddle sea kayaking FAQ [email protected] General 0 December 19th 05 05:37 AM